• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion Done Right

The Neo Nerd

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/02/thi...church-pushing-lgbt-people-out-into-the-cold/

A methodist pastor is sleeping outdoors in the freezing Michigan winter to protest discrimination against LGBT people by the church, ThinkProgress reports.

Rev. Michael Tupper, who is a pastor at Parchment United Methodist Church, was punished after he officiated his daughter’s same-sex wedding last year. He did so despite the fact that pastors are forbidden from officiating such weddings by his denomination.

In a world where we see a lot of hatred and bigotry from the religious, this guy has my admiration.

This is what religion should be about. Serving the people, not itself.

lostwanderingsoul

No, a church should be more about serving God and following what is in the Bible. And the Bible does not approve of homosexual acts. The Methodist church must not believe in the Bible.

The Neo Nerd

No, a church should be more about serving God and following what is in the Bible. And the Bible does not approve of homosexual acts. The Methodist church must not believe in the Bible.

And when these churches follow all the bible then they can start claiming they are serving god.

Until then, they are only serving their only hatred and self interest.

Until such time, they should be serving the people they are trying to control.

Last edited:

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
The point of Christianity is the salvific redemption though Christ. Benevolence towards others is (ideally) an extension of that redemption, but not the inherent purpose of it. If religion is only concerned with the service of others, then it's actually quite superfluous.

Moral conviction is no excuse of naked bigotry. Feed the hungry and clothe the naked includes LBGT people, but that doesn't demand approval of what is clearly stated to be illicit sexual activity. If Christians of more liberal leanings can find a way to square acceptance of such activities with Christian conviction then that's between them and God.

Until then, they are only serving their only hatred and self interest.
Specks and logs.

The Neo Nerd

The point of Christianity is the salvific redemption though Christ. Benevolence towards others is (ideally) an extension of that redemption, but not the inherent purpose of it. If religion is only concerned with the service of others, then it's actually quite superfluous.

That is indeed what they tell themselves. But religions throughout history have been about power and control. The abrahamic denominations are no different.

Moral conviction is no excuse of naked bigotry. Feed the hungry and clothe the naked includes LBGT people, but that doesn't demand approval of what is clearly stated to be illicit sexual activity. If Christians of more liberal leanings can find a way to square acceptance of such activities with Christian conviction then that's between them and God.

Yes it all depends on which parts of the bible they ignore. This includes the ones who want to kill homosexuals.

Specks and logs.

You know nothing about me. So you can keep your snide remarks to yourself.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
That is indeed what they tell themselves. But religions throughout history have been about power and control. The abrahamic denominations are no different.
That's a common narrative, but it is just a narrative. It is true that for most of human history religion has been inseparability intertwined with the power structures of society. And while that's offensive to our modern twenty-first century sensibilities, it doesn't follow that religion is simply a cynical conspiracy for political control. The mediaevals took Christianity as obvious and granted as we take biology, to ague that it was all about power is an anachronism.

Yes it all depends on which parts of the bible they ignore. This includes the ones who want to kill homosexuals.
For one, Christianity isn't tied up in mosaic law. Secondly, this kind of argumentation is just childish.

You know nothing about me. So you can keep your snide remarks to yourself.
No. If you're going to make sweeping blanket accusations that Christians of a more traditional bent hold their convictions simply out from a naked bigotry for LGBTs, then I'm going reasonably call out such sanctimonious hypocrisy. You know nothing of the motivations of millions of Christians worldwide. You have no justification to so causally vilify such a wide group of people.

But if you insist, I'll cut the snide if you cut the hateful hyperbole.

Last edited:

The Neo Nerd

That's a common narrative, but it is just a narrative. It is true that for most of human history religion has been inseparability intertwined with the power structures of society. And while that's offensive to our modern twenty-first century sensibilities, it doesn't follow that religion is simply a cynical conspiracy for political control. The mediaevals took Christianity as obvious and granted as we take biology, to ague that it was all about power is an anachronism.

Never said they were all about power. I am sure that most religious bodies are true believers. But you cannot say that religions do not attempt to control people to various degrees. Hindus, Buddhists, xtians, jews, muslims.

I for one will not forget how religions have behaved when they have had no one to stand against them.

For one, Christianity isn't tied up in mosaic law.

Yet they will quote it when it suits them.

Secondly, this kind of argumentation is just childish.

Considering the lack of internal consistency in the bible and its teachings, those using it to justify their behaviour have to ignore the parts that don't agree with them.

So not so much childish, as pithy.

No. If you're going to make sweeping blanket accusations that Christians of a more traditional bent hold their convictions simply out from a naked bigotry for LGBTs, then I'm going reasonably call out such sanctimonious hypocrisy. You know nothing of the motivations of millions of Christians worldwide. You have no justification to so causally vilify such a wide group of people.

When xtians are citing the bible as their motivation for anti-lgbt actions and ignoring the rest of the rules in the same book, then their motivations are clearly not biblically based.

I do not say all religious people are bad. For example you see me praising the actions of one such religious person in the OP.

Pudding

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/02/thi...church-pushing-lgbt-people-out-into-the-cold/

In a world where we see a lot of hatred and bigotry from the religious, this guy has my admiration.

Fail.
How can religion done right?
a: Religion can only done right under god A's rule!
b: No, it's god B's rule!
c: God C's rule all the way!
...etc

Keeps strong and keeps fighting and keeps dumping the hell warning to people's face.:confused::confused::confused:
Good job. The true god is very proud for his follower.:confused::confused::confused:

God A/B/C...etc: :oops::oops::oops::mad::mad::mad::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

This is how religion done right:
a: :facepalm:
b: :facepalm:
c: :facepalm:

Everyone :facepalm: with each other.
By the way this is a joke and sarcasm.:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Last edited:

lostwanderingsoul

The Bible also says "let he who is without sin cast the first stone." No one should take physical action to harm anyone because of their beliefs or actions but that does not mean God approves of all those actions.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN

First you can't prove that verses against homosexuality are actually in there. They definitely are NOT in the NT.

And secondly - do you eat bacon, ham, shellfish (lobster, crab,) etc?

Do YOU follow every law - that is still possible - in the Bible?

I didn't think so. And such is what makes a lot of Christians hypocrites.

If YOU don't follow such Tanakh laws, - then why do you expect others to do so?

lostwanderingsoul

It is interesting that the people who call themselves heathens or atheists are the ones who try to tell people who believe in God and the Bible that they are wrong.

The Neo Nerd

It is interesting that the people who call themselves heathens or atheists are the ones who try to tell people who believe in God and the Bible that they are wrong.

Yes we do.

But in our defense you are basing your beliefs and actions on something you have no real evidence for.