• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

religion and the two species of man

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There have been lots of Hominid species over the aeons. Often several were coeval.

There's nothing biologically remarkable about this. There are lots of felid species alive today. There are only a couple of hyrax species, and the poor aardvark, like man, stands alone.

Some groups ramify. Some die out. Modern manrepresents just another group where some species could not maintain a breeding population in the face of a changing environment or were out-competed by a particularly adept species.

This is ordinary, mundane biology. It's happened a million times in a million orders, families and genera. I see no reason to invoke some divine hand in the Hominid cull.

kai

ragamuffin
Seyorni said:
There have been lots of Hominid species over the aeons. Often several were coeval.

There's nothing biologically remarkable about this. There are lots of felid species alive today. There are only a couple of hyrax species, and the poor aardvark, like man, stands alone.

Some groups ramify. Some die out. Modern manrepresents just another group where some species could not maintain a breeding population in the face of a changing environment or were out-competed by a particularly adept species.

This is ordinary, mundane biology. It's happened a million times in a million orders, families and genera. I see no reason to invoke some divine hand in the Hominid cull.
ah mundane biology is fine with me , what i am after is the religious aspect of two adams

MdmSzdWhtGuy

Well, truly religious folks who beleive that the Bible is telling us how Man came into existence would not beleive in Neanderthal Man, now would they?

B.

kai

ragamuffin
MdmSzdWhtGuy said:
Well, truly religious folks who beleive that the Bible is telling us how Man came into existence would not beleive in Neanderthal Man, now would they?

B.
thats what i thought, but i would like a view on it. but i cant seem to get one and i dont really want to draw my conclusions from that.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Rejected said:
But Cro-Magnon had the great equalizer - they could make weapons. More specifically, the bow; it would allow them to safely bring down prey, resulting in less injury than with simple spears and stone knives, decreasing death rates due to infection, etc. The bow would also allow them to kill their slope-headed cousins without fear of direct physical confrontation.
I think it was the throwing spear, not the bow, wasn't it?

MdmSzdWhtGuy said:
The explaination i heard from a creationist for Neanderthals was that they were the Nephilim, the offspring of angels and human women. They have a gibberish answer for everything.

kai

ragamuffin
Halcyon said:
I think it was the throwing spear, not the bow, wasn't it?

The explaination i heard from a creationist for Neanderthals was that they were the Nephilim, the offspring of angels and human women. They have a gibberish answer for everything.
yes it may have been to early for the bow, ah! the nephilim, you would think they would be fairer of face,their father an Angel and all.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
kai said:
yes it may have been to early for the bow, ah! the nephilim, you would think they would be fairer of face,their father an Angel and all.
Ah, the mysteries of life...

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
kai said:
ah mundane biology is fine with me , what i am after is the religious aspect of two adams

Why limit yourself to just Neanderthal and Cro-Magnon Adams? Why not H. erectus or H. habilis Adams? Why not include the the Australopithecines as well?

We could have dozens of Adams!

Trying to fit Anthropology into a particular religious mythology will probably prove a frustrating and pointless exercise.

MdmSzdWhtGuy

Well according to the religious folks I grew up with and am still surrounded by, any doubt of such things (Biblical innerance, literalism, etc. . . ) is a sure ticket to Hell.

B.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
The new wave of scutiny toward the creation account by those who like to cling solely on the emperical plane does little to rattle cages. Those who wish to use this as a club to hit literal creationist with may succeed on a particular level but I think no discussion will come from either side if the tone continues.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
YmirGF said:
Be that as it may Victor, I feel that the Male dominated theologies are perhaps the result of a backlash against the ancient female based Earth Goddess/Divine Mother traditions.

There must be a jolly good reason WHY female deities flourished in primitive civilizations as females were considerably weaker than her male counterparts. Who knows maybe there was a FEMALE Christ at some point the the misty unrecorded past.

I actually think that is probably more likely that ol' GrandPa, probably wounded and stuck at home for a few days, got hungry. He rooted about and found ol' GrandMa's sack of Soma mushrooms and frankly, a few hours later, the jig was up. GrandPa was so incensed over the deception that he never let GrandMa forget it, or out from under his thumb ever since. Perhaps the legendary forbidden fruit was not a fruit at all. Perhaps the stories of Adam were merely tales of revenge to put woman once and for all, firmly in her place.

Since I don't believe He is neither man nor women. I'm not really sure how this applies to me...:confused: