• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion and Space

RedStorm

Pride and Arrogance
What religions acknowledge the existence of space for what it is? And how can one be believed in if it doesn't? I was on a christian chat the other day and they claimed that any alien life would be demonic? First of all if we are going off the christians interpretation i would call the opposing forces of god the good ones... but thats a point for another day. Anyways to deny alien life is foolish, theres simply too much of a chance for it to exist, maybe not close to the earth but still

RedStorm

Pride and Arrogance
an empty vacuum that houses our galaxy and many others.

What pressing need? There is no religion that has proved anything that isn't open to interpretation.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Wes hál. :)

This is kind of a strange question to me. Most religions are ancient, and mostly relevant to day-to-day living (of which space continues to play almost no direct part). Hence, I'm not sure most of them even say anything about space (or, more accurately, spacetime) outside of a few stories here and there.

My (modern) religion, however, teaches discression and wisdom. Having a BS-detector is considered a high virtue, and so I acknowledge spacetime for what it is (as best as I can, anyway, given that I'm not a physicist), as well as the 99.9999999999....% certainty that life evolved elsewhere.

RedStorm

Pride and Arrogance
Well your religion must be one of the exceptions. most are traditionalist non sensical ones. They thrive on the ability to scare people into their religion. One of the main reasons christianity attained so much attention is because it took advantage of those who were poor (and they outnumbered the rich) and female (and they didnt have many rights in many cultures) and played off their emotions until it consumed the old religions.

Thana

Lady
What religions acknowledge the existence of space for what it is? And how can one be believed in if it doesn't? I was on a christian chat the other day and they claimed that any alien life would be demonic? First of all if we are going off the christians interpretation i would call the opposing forces of god the good ones... but thats a point for another day. Anyways to deny alien life is foolish, theres simply too much of a chance for it to exist, maybe not close to the earth but still

The bible doesn't mention Aliens, so the beliefs Christians have regarding them are just speculation.
Pretty much like the beliefs anyone else has about Aliens. Go figure.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Well your religion must be one of the exceptions. most are traditionalist non sensical ones. They thrive on the ability to scare people into their religion. One of the main reasons christianity attained so much attention is because it took advantage of those who were poor (and they outnumbered the rich) and female (and they didnt have many rights in many cultures) and played off their emotions until it consumed the old religions.

While my religion (Heathenry) is certianly fringe in modern culture, you sure about that "most" label? There's hundreds of religions besides Christianity, after all. ;)

BTW, the Christianiziation of Europe cannot be boiled down to any single or simple factors. It was a long, complicated process, with peaks and valleys, that didn't achieve total success until the 15th century (and even then, folk traditions and stories that predate Christianity persisted, some of which continue to do so to this day).

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I think this pretty much only applies to Islam and Christianity, to be fair.

RedStorm

Pride and Arrogance
While my religion (Heathenry) is certianly fringe in modern culture, you sure about that "most" label? There's hundreds of religions besides Christianity, after all. ;)

BTW, the Christianiziation of Europe cannot be boiled down to any single or simple factors. It was a long, complicated process, with peaks and valleys, that didn'ttte achieve total success until the 15th century (and even then, folk traditions and stories that predate Christianity persisted, some of which continue to do so to this day).

It really doesn't matter if some religions were still being believed in. its really which one has the most power. Its really that which bothers me. When i talk religion i usually mean the big 3 abrahamic religions. but sometimes others

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
The Norse had a rather complex, almost eerily prescient view of space, including that there was indeed life, very different life, on most of the "Nine Worlds". Jotunheim is the most well-known, home of the Jotun/Jotnar(translated as giant but more 'shapeshifter' like Loki). Then there is the motif of Yggdrasil, the 'world tree', which 'hold' the Nine Worlds in place.

There's also the fact that the Jotnar and eventually Loki, Surtr & their armies all arrive specifically on "ships".

Riverwolf

Premium Member
It really doesn't matter if some religions were still being believed in.

I didn't say "believed in," because I didn't mean that. I said, "some traditions and stories persisted." Most of these were either secularized or Christianized, however.

If you've ever decorated a Christmas tree, congratulations, you've participated in one such tradition.

It's only recently that some (including myself) have attempted to graft onto them our best estimates of what they might have looked like in a pre-Christian context, or what they might look like today had Christianity not effectively broken our lines.

its really which one has the most power. Its really that which bothers me. When i talk religion i usually mean the big 3 abrahamic religions. but sometimes others

Only two of them are big. Judaism is a fairly small, ethnic religion. (And I've seen it argued that "Abrahamic religion" as a term should be discarded, for lumping all three of them together despite being VERY different.)

There are three Major World Religions, yes, and Christianity and Islam are two of them. The third, however, is Buddhism.

Think of it in terms of a (very) rough threefold division of Eurasia: in the West, Christianity dominated the cultures; in the Middle, Islam; and the East, Buddhism. Obviously, one of these three is not like the other, insofar as the former two tried erasing the older ways, while Buddhism organically merged with the various indigenous traditions of the cultures it spread into, but it still had a profound impact on East Asian cultures, including their religions (despite being, ironically, kind of a minority religion in India, its country of origin).

Be careful when using "religion" as synonymous with Christianity and contemporary Western media depcitions of Islam; by doing so, you're effectively accusing us of being guilty-by-association of whatever your grievances are.

All that said, I share your frustration with the power dynamic we have in the West. The cultural ubiquitousness of Christianity, together with the invisibility of our own indigenous traditions, is VERY frustrating, and makes it very hard to celebrate our heritage with other people. It also makes it a task to examine my own conceptions of the world, and determine which of them owe their existence to a Christocentric zeitgeist, and what virtue or toxicity they may have. I've seen many atheists, Heathens, Neopagans, etc., speak and behave almost exactly like Christians (in both good and bad ways). I'm sure I've done it, too. That's just how ingrained it is.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
What religions acknowledge the existence of space for what it is?

Let's think about the appropriate sample frame for a moment. Based on your definition of what space "really is," we can only include members of religions who exist in nations who have a reasonable chance of having something approaching modern education in the sciences. Anyone else should be thrown out of the data set, because it us unreasonable to expect them to have a contemporary, scientific understanding of space when they have no access to that view of reality.

With that refined sampling frame, we then need to make a very important distinction between religions that have "official teachings" and those which do not. For those who lack any official teachings, it is not appropriate for to say that the "religion" acknowledges or does not acknowledge anything, because it simply does not have that kind of unified dogma. In honesty, it makes much more sense to approach this at the level of individual beliefs for this reason, rather than pointing the finger at "the religion," for even in religions that have "official teachings," adherents of these religions do not necessary tow the party line.

All that said, what we'd end up with for the results would be something like this. There would be a chunk of individuals who simply never received the science education, although hypothetically they should have had access to it. We maybe should ignore those ones in the final analysis. Then there will be a chunk of individuals who interpret certain mythological texts literally, and while perhaps aware of the scientific consensus, choose to reject it in favor of a more meaningful narrative. Those are the ones we would want to look at - the mythological literalists. And as far as I'm aware, they're a distinct minority relative to the relevant sample frame for this question. But who knows... maybe someone has published a study. Cruise the primary literature if you're genuinely interested in a more academic answer to this question.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
As I see it, my religion (and most religions) do not address the subject as an area of concern. So whatever is, we can accept it.

I suspect alien life exists but I don't think any life (including on earth) just happened by only the processes currently accepted by science. I think intelligence is involved.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
As I see it, my religion (and most religions) do not address the subject as an area of concern. So whatever is, we can accept it.

I suspect alien life exists but I don't think any life (including on earth) just happened by only the processes currently accepted by science. I think intelligence is involved.

But Hinduism very much does address life on other planets. According to our religion the universe is teaming with life!

@RedStorm Hinduism talks about infinite universes and with all sorts of life forms throughout these universes (both higher, similar and lower beings).

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic

B-b-but... if there's alien life then how can Earth be the centre or only important planet in the Universe??

Ha.

George-ananda

Premium Member
But Hinduism very much does address life on other planets. According to our religion the universe is teaming with life!

@RedStorm Hinduism talks about infinite universes and with all sorts of life forms throughout these universes (both higher, similar and lower beings).
yes, but I think you are talking about spiritual planes (which we believe in) and the OP is just talking about the physical level (as he is an atheist). I don't think Hinduism much addresses the question of physical life on other planets.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
yes, but I think you are talking about spiritual planes (which we believe in) and the OP is just talking about the physical level (as he is an atheist). I don't think Hinduism much addresses the question of physical life on other planets.

Hmmm, growing up in GV it did. We were taught that there are other planets similar to Earth. But I don't know where I'd find that specific mention in scripture. Perhaps it was just Prabhupada who said that...

George-ananda

Premium Member
Hmmm, growing up in GV it did. We were taught that there are other planets similar to Earth. But I don't know where I'd find that specific mention in scripture. Perhaps it was just Prabhupada who said that...
I think Prabhubada spoke of spiritual worlds as planets if I recall

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The bible doesn't mention Aliens, so the beliefs Christians have regarding them are just speculation.
Pretty much like the beliefs anyone else has about Aliens. Go figure.
I think the book of Ezekiel itself suggests aliens. It's certainly seems to describe alien contact.