• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion and Ethnicity

Electra

Is your religion related to your ethnicity? do you find that harmful or beneficial? is it possible to separate the two?

where you 'born into' a religion?

is your religion connected to the land you are on?

do you think we will continue to follow religion like this or is there another way?

experiences, thoughts & comments welcome.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Is your religion related to your ethnicity? do you find that harmful or beneficial? is it possible to separate the two?

Not that I am aware of. And, yes, you can separate the two.

No. My parents didn't follow a religion.

Since the religion is world wide, don't know how to answer that. I guess some would say "yes", but I didn't connect to my faith until 28.

do you think we will continue to follow religion like this or is there another way?

There will always be people who think there is another way and, thus, will follow a religion or create a new one.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
No, my religion has nothing to do with my ethnicity. Ethnic religions can be beneficial or harmful, even within the same religions. I wasnt born into my religion, either.

Last edited:

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
New Is your religion related to your ethnicity?
Yes.
do you find that harmful or beneficial?
Beneficial.
it possible to separate the two?
Outsiders can convert, but then our ethnicity becomes theirs.

Double yes.
Who's "we"?

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Is your religion related to your ethnicity?
No
Beneficial
is it possible to separate the two?
yes

I was lucky. My family tradition is basically "All children shall be raised to possess a mind of their own." Therefore, my family is very religiously diverse.

no

I'll continue following what works
Buddhism has a strong current of thinking for yourself instead of following collective tradition (Mara) just for the sake of it.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

No. My Faith (Baha’i) emerged from Persia (Iran) in the 19th century and spread rapidly throughout the world in the twentieth century. North America played a pivotal role. I’m of European descent and live in New Zealand.

Its beneficial that my faith has strong roots through both Persian and American culture yet transcends both.

I was born into Christianity and became a Baha’i in my mid 20s.

My Faith teaches “The Earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens” so the answer is yes. I’m a world citizen and the earth is my home.

The Baha’i Faith appears well suited to the modern age.

Having a faith that is universal rather than ethnic based has been an essential part of my spiritual journey whether through both Christianity and the Baha’i Faith.

February-Saturday

Devil Worshiper

Yes and no. Spirit work was passed down to me through surviving ethnic practices, but not traditional Satanism in particular. Methods of summoning and talking to demons were, though, and they're methods I still integrate in my practice.

I later found out that S. Connolly, who recently began writing about a family tradition of demon worship, wrote pretty closely to what I was taught. She wrote about that in "Drawing Down Belial," which also included a variety of other similarities to my family tradition. It was published years after I learned mine, and my tradition is attested to by people I very much doubt know anything of S. Connolly.

It certainly helped me when I first began working with demons.

I don't know. I know a lot of people mistakenly believe that the tradition I was raised in died "hundreds of years ago" and seek to revive it, and their revival very rarely looks anything like what my family taught me. I think it's meant to be passed down through your family, it's generally not something we share with other people. But there are interracial couples in my bloodline. It's not ethnicity that binds the practice; it's genetic lineage.

For that reason, I don't openly associate with or even name the religion I've descended in outside of my family. I've only made that exception once with a very close, like-minded friend of mine. If you're another Satanist and you're interested in what you might be able to take from my ethnic practices, again, I recommend the writings of S. Connolly. Most of the practices really do center around my family (and not just my ethnicity, but specific lineage) and wouldn't make much sense taken out of that context. You're going to have to trust me on that one.

I was born into Christianity, but I wasn't baptized. That's not the ethnic religion I'm talking about above.

No, it is not.

I think "religion" is a very broad term that encompasses a variety of practices, most of which will probably continue for quite some time, and plenty that barely resemble the way I follow mine at all.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
No.

Neither.

Not applicable.

My parents were Christian, by default.

No.

I'm only a me, not a we.

Electra

For that reason, I don't openly associate with or even name the religion I've descended in outside of my family. I've only made that exception once with a very close, like-minded friend of mine. If you're another Satanist and you're interested in what you might be able to take from my ethnic practices, again, I recommend the writings of S. Connolly. Most of the practices really do center around my family (and not just my ethnicity, but specific lineage) and wouldn't make much sense taken out of that context. You're going to have to trust me on that one.

I am intrigued and slightly jealous. ^^ hahahah

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Yes/No. I don't have any ties to religions that are both from my history and family background but I do have some practices that aren't religiously connected.

No. I did hear from Dalai Lama or someone similar that Americans should stick with christianity and not religions that aren't part of their history and identity.

I was going to drop something off one time and at the time I was catholic. A black guy (I'm black) stopped me and started talking. He asked what church I went to. I said the (catholic) church over there (not too far). He says, "oh, I thought catholics were only for white and hispanics..." later in the conversation he said "you disowned the black church (baptist) huh?" and that was the end of the convo.

A lot of it has to do with history and survival rather than denominations.

Yes. The practice is. The religion is scattered depending on the family and origin.

Ancestral reverence is in many religions. They don't call it reverence, though. Catholics have it, buddhists, pagans, most likely others. I think the more newer/conservative the religion is the less they want to believe in "that" stuff.

I can't say sternly that I follow any religion. I would love to but my mind isn't a one-foundation or mono-like needed perspective. I'd be poly-minded if I really looked into it.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

I was born into christianity. every one in my family identified as such. I'm not exclusive. I've tried to discover as many aspects of the divine and found they all have one thing in common. they were all consumed with the monster

Last edited:

Electra

Ancestral reverence is in many religions. They don't call it reverence, though. Catholics have it, buddhists, pagans, most likely others. I think the more newer/conservative the religion is the less they want to believe in "that" stuff.

I love the idea of ancestral reverence. I am an adoptee with no given backstory (yet!) so ofc I would be drawn to this, haha! I have started the past few years to give thanks to the ancestors of the land i am on right now, and also to the ancestors of the culture rich practices i have adopted (yoga and hip hop). I didn't know that Catholics, buddhists and pagans had ancestral reverence - I will look into this more, thank you.

The way i was raised in Christianity was very harsh though, I don't feel like that was really 'ancestral reverence' - more a way to control actions and thoughts through a certain paradigm.

syo

One Humanity, One Earth = Pagan :):cool:

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

Yes, Judaism is the religion of the Jewish people. The easiest way to become a Jew is simply to be born one. However, anyone so desiring to become a Jew can undergo a lawful conversion. Not everyone who is of teh Jewish people observes the Jewish religion, however.

At any rate, we don't proselytize. For others, we wish for them to simply be ethical monotheists. There is no need for them to convert to Judaism, although they can if they are drawn.

The Jewish people have a homeland, which was originally Canaan, and has been called variously, Israel, Judah, Judea, etc. Part of that homeland is the modern state of Israel today.