• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion and Classism

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
It's one of the common responses from anti-abortion religious people when discussing the financial burden of children on the poor. Especially, but not exclusively, for those who also deplore contraception. Non-religious people who are against abortion don't tend to use that one.
Proof? It's a pretty obvious statement.

Truth in love

We are in accord there.

Do they? We would necessarily be doing a vein to vein transfusion on the way to the hospital. Should you, the donor, be legally compelled to stay attached as long as my life is in danger? I don't think you should.

Let’s make this a tad more accurate. You need bone marrow. I’m a match. I consent. Actions are taken where now without me following through you will die.

Can I withdraw my freely given consent (not for any drastic reason, but just because I feel like or wish your death) or do I need to follow though on my commitment as your life is forgot If I change my mind?

ppp

Let’s make this a tad more accurate. You need bone marrow. I’m a match. I consent. Actions are taken where now without me following through you will die.
More accurate. I am not sure what you think the difference is.
Can I withdraw my freely given consent (not for any drastic reason, but just because I feel like or wish your death) or do I need to follow though on my commitment as your life is forgot If I change my mind?
You have no legal obligation to provide your bone marrow to me. You can withdraw at any point. If you wake up during the harvesting with a needle in your hip, you can withdraw then.

You may feel that you have a moral obligation, but you do not have a legal obligation.

Truth in love

More accurate. I am not sure what you think the difference is.

You have no legal obligation to provide your bone marrow to me. You can withdraw at any point. If you wake up during the harvesting with a needle in your hip, you can withdraw then.

You may feel that you have a moral obligation, but you do not have a legal obligation.

So I can agree, and then change my mind and kill you in the process?

I can't go there. I'm big on personal liberty, but one of the core valid functions of government is the enforcement of a contract. Its one thing to decline your request, but when the line is crossed and your life hangs on my following through on my agreement its wrong to change my mind and kill you.

ppp

Are you under the impression that you can be legally obligated to provide part of your body to me?

I can't go there. I'm big on personal liberty, but one of the core valid functions of government is the enforcement of a contract.
You cannot make a legal contract to provide part of your body to another person. Such donations are always unencumbered gifts.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Can I withdraw my freely given consent (not for any drastic reason, but just because I feel like

What are you suggesting, that your change of mind be ignored, and your body be forcibly used against your will?

We will tear your perineum for good measure, and render you incontinent for the rest of your life. Also you will have to look after him for a minimum of 18 years afterward. You did agree after all...:rolleyes: unlike a pregnant woman of course, who in most cases would not have agreed to pregnancy, let alone childbirth. ;)

Sheldon

Veteran Member

Of course, though you wouldn't be directly killing him obviously, that's just the kind of risible hyperbolic rhetoric anti-choicers love.

I can't go there. I'm big on personal liberty, but one of the core valid functions of government is the enforcement of a contract.

Since when is an unwanted pregnancy a contract? That's an asinine rhetoric.

Its one thing to decline your request, but when the line is crossed and your life hangs on my following through on my agreement its wrong to change my mind and kill you.

You're not killing him, whatever has necessitude the transplant is doing that. Do you drive a car, use fossil fuels, even indirectly, are you ok then with killing the people who will die inevitably from the resulting climate change?

ppp

I can't go there. I'm big on personal liberty, but one of the core valid functions of government is the enforcement of a contract. Its one thing to decline your request, but when the line is crossed and your life hangs on my following through on my agreement its wrong to change my mind and kill you.
Follow up...
Regarding consent...
Can a woman consent to sex, then withdraw her consent before her partner is done?

Truth in love

Are you under the impression that you can be legally obligated to provide part of your body to me?

You cannot make a legal contract to provide part of your body to another person. Such donations are always unencumbered gifts.
If I make that agreement and your life hinges on it it would be consistent to have the government enforce the contract. Now I doubt such a law is on the books, but the concept is well established in our code of law.

Truth in love

Follow up...
Regarding consent...
Can a woman consent to sex, then withdraw her consent before her partner is done?

In theory maybe, but practically no. To allow the sudden withdrawal of consent can make anyone a rapist in a split second.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
In theory maybe, but practically no. To allow the sudden withdrawal of consent can make anyone a rapist in a split second.
Ah I don't see how. If the person says stop and withdraws consent then the person they are with can stop having sex with them. Why wouldn't they be able to stop having sex?

It's only rape if the person continues once the consent is withdrawn

Last edited:

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Policy said:
Follow up...
Regarding consent...
In theory maybe, but practically no.

That's called rape, you're posts are really starting to worry me more and more.

To allow the sudden withdrawal of consent can make anyone a rapist in a split second.

Phew, good, for a minute there I was worried you didn't get that.

Lets try a simple analogy, I give someone a lift, a month later they turn up and insist their friends can use my car for nine months whether I like it or not.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Just remember you are a Christian.
I am a Satanist and for sex consent is everything. If consent is withdrawn and the other party proceeds, that person is a rapist.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Only a rapist would disagree with this fundamental fact.
No, it has more to do with the opinion a woman is supposed to be submissive, along with very dated ideas of male sexuality. You'll likely find even many women in the circles who teach such things would agree.

ppp

If I make that agreement and your life hinges on it it would be consistent to have the government enforce the contract. Now I doubt such a law is on the books, but the concept is well established in our code of law.
Go to a lawyer and try to draw up a contract between you and another person for a body part. Organ. Bone marrow blood. When you get through utterly failing to get her to agree that you have a point, then we can carry on.

ppp

Well, that is a little disturbing. It can make one a rapist if one lacks concern for one's partner. Sex is more than the moment of climax, you know.