• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion and Classism

Sheldon

Veteran Member
that's what Sennacherib said that too. But he was wrong.
Your dismissing a soundly reasoned argument, that was presented with supporting evidence, and offering just a bare denial, that's not really very compelling. If you want your denial to mean anything in a public debate, maybe explain why you think this, beyond subjective belief or confirmation bias from personal experience, and if you have any, then present some objective evidence to support it.

Even as an atheist I could make a first of that for a religion, though it would not of course represent objective evidence for a deity. Think people convinced to behave more altruistically because they hold a belief.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Your dismissing a soundly reasoned argument, that was presented with supporting evidence, and offering just a bare denial, that's not really very compelling. If you want your denial to mean anything in a public debate, maybe explain why you think this, beyond subjective belief or confirmation bias from personal experience, and if you have any, then present some objective evidence to support it.

Even as an atheist I could make a first of that for a religion, though it would not of course represent objective evidence for a deity. Think people convinced to behave more altruistically because they hold a belief.
I don't think you are even on the same page in the answer that I gave or in the spirit and context that it was given.

Come to think of it, it wasn't even addressed to you.

Maybe you can reformulate a position that you want to address?

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Sheldon said:
That looks like a Post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy.
No... that is answering a question and history.

I was talking about your conclusion, not what you drew it from, or the context in which you presented it, and your conclusion looked like a post hoc ergo propter fallacy.

This type of fallacy is also a form of confirmation bias, often used to claim intercessory prayer has worked for example.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I was talking about your conclusion, not what you drew it from, or the context in which you presented it, and your conclusion looked like a post hoc ergo propter fallacy.

This type of fallacy is also a form of confirmation bias, often used to claim intercessory prayer has worked for example.

You are welcome to your viewpoint. I thought it was very applicable and just calling it a "fallacy" doesn't really refute my position.

That is the general way to not address that "affordability" is a perspective.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
You are welcome to your viewpoint. I thought it was very applicable and just calling it a "fallacy" doesn't really refute my position.

It's not just my viewpoint though is it, unless you think I created logic, and I didn't just call it a fallacy, I very specifically said which fallacy you had used, and linked an explanation of the fallacy to support the claim, and yes of course demonstrating you had used a known logical fallacy would refute your claim, by demonstrating it to be irrational, by definition.

That is the general way to not address that "affordability" is a perspective.

Not really, your own link showed they were making a subjective choice, and by any objective standard to claim a billionaire couldn't afford to have children seems dubious.

Afford
verb
  1. have enough money to pay for.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Well, “if you can’t afford to have a kid don’t have sex” is mostly a facile admonishment delivered by religious person opposing abortion.

In this very forum, a hard atheist made the case that a poor woman walking several miles to get a bus to take the baby to see a doctor while her husband has no choice but to attend to the farm is poor, has child, because "they decided to".

Nevertheless I have never in my life heard someone saying this “if you can’t afford to have a kid don’t have sex” for any reason. Never heard it. Maybe it's more popular in your society.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
In this very forum, a hard atheist made the case that a poor woman walking several miles to get a bus to take the baby to see a doctor while her husband has no choice but to attend to the farm is poor, has child, because "they decided to".

Nevertheless I have never in my life heard someone saying this “if you can’t afford to have a kid don’t have sex” for any reason. Never heard it. Maybe it's more popular in your society.
It's more popular here in North Carolina at least. I've heard it before

Truth in love

Abortion is following through with what you have done. Just not in a way that you approve of. As I said.

That is not a bodily right case, and is therefore not analogous to pregnancy.

Imagine that we are both blood type HH and living in Texas. I come to your dinner and am injured when I slip on some water spilled on the kitchen floor. I am hemorrhaging and need blood for the surgery, and you are the only source of blood that I can accept within an 18 hour flight. Should you be legally forced to give me blood?

He was a big advocate of the state controlling reproduction rather than the individual.

So it seems wholesale slaughter is something you support as long as you can claim the victim is less than human. I’ll not be joining you in that disturbing mindset.

Bathos Logos

I'm not. you made that assumption.
No, I didn't. Hence the reason I asked you if you thought I cared whether or not you were a fan of Christianity. I do not care. Not at all. You asked a question, and I answered it. The reason as to why "Religion" might be the first thought on someone's mind regarding the OP subject matter. I have a feeling you understood this entire time exactly why religion might be the first thing on someone's mind with this... but that you perhaps feigned ignorance in order to try and make a point about how it perhaps shouldn't be. But that would be you feigning ignorance, even as you knew what was going on the entire time.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
So it seems wholesale slaughter is something you support as long as you can claim the victim is less than human. I’ll not be joining you in that disturbing mindset.
You're ok enslaving people then, taking away their bodily autonomy, and letting them suffer, while granting rights to a clump of insentient cells you wouldn't give a sentient human being?

Oh look I can do hyperbole as well.

ppp

You choose melodramatic sophistry over responding to what was actually said. Well done.

firedragon

Veteran Member
It's not a common argument but I've heard it a few times. It is a stupid argument I do agree. Very classist thing to say

Also, it won't work. Impractical. Maybe it is okay to say something like that to your younger brother. Sometimes we say some weird things to our younger brothers thinking it's advice.

But this is in my opinion really stupid. I don't think it's some classist thing. That doesn't compute with me.

Truth in love

You choose melodramatic sophistry over responding to what was actually said. Well done.

So where am I wrong?

1. The person was invited to be there and consent was given (exception for rape and under aged incest)
2. The innocent invited guest in this killed at a rate of about one million per year in the USA. (Many of these were they could have lived if not one chopped them into pieces)
3. You are advocating for this.

What did I get wrong?