1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Religion and Atheism

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by usfan, May 26, 2019.

1. Salvador

Salvador RF's Swedenborgian

Ratings:
    +1,241
    Religion:
    Swedenborgianism
    Atheism is the logical sensible presumption that an omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient, highly benevolent supernatural deity really doesn't exist, unless proven otherwise. Atheism is contrary to theism, the belief of theists, who make the nonsensical presumption that an omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient, highly benevolent supernatural deity actually exists, unless proven otherwise.

• Like Like x 1
  2. usfan

usfan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +462
    Religion:
    Biblical Christianity
    IMO, that is impossible. Humans NEVER differentiate between their beliefs, and blur facts, opinions, and indoctrination easily between every category..

Politics? Science? Worldview? Religion?

Those are all jumbled together in a primordial soup of beliefs, into a worldview, ideology, or religion. Pick your term. It describes the same thing.

3. Altfish

Altfish Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,406
    Religion:
    Humanist
    I don't fear the term; in fact in many countries to have atheism termed as a religion would bring many tax benefits.

I just continue to fail to understand how it can be termed a religion as a religion carries so much more baggage.
    Again, this is a nonsensical statement to me because I am (say) a non christian - but I still acknowledge that there is christian belief

• Like Like x 1
  4. usfan

usfan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +462
    Religion:
    Biblical Christianity
    Ok, so 'religion', means 'anything connected to a belief in deities'. Buddhists are excluded, as well as most atheists. So only theists can be 'religious'. It is a synonym for 'theist', and means the same thing.

The 'freedom of religion' clause is just for legal purposes, and implies atheistic belief.

But 'religion' is only for theists. Is that how atheists prefer to see the term?

Are Buddhists non-religious, then? An organized 'Church of Atheism' is not religious, either? Only theists can be (and are, by definition), religious?

Why are there so many atheists, strongly presenting their beliefs, in a forum titled, 'Religious Forums?' Would that not be inappropriate, to camp in a theistic based forum?

5. usfan

usfan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +462
    Religion:
    Biblical Christianity
    ..and i acknowledge the atheistic belief. What is the difference?

6. icehorse

icehorse Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,482
    Religion:
    spiritual anti-theist : )
    This whole thread is a discussion of the definitions of terms, correct? Are you now making a more general case that we should just succumb to conflations?

7. Altfish

Ratings:
    +6,406
    Religion:
    Humanist
    One is a positive belief, one is a rejection of that positive belief.

Anyway, you'll never convince me that it is a religion based on normal, accepted definitions.

• Like Like x 1
  8. usfan

usfan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +462
    Religion:
    Biblical Christianity
    Terminological bias. Yes, words can frame one philosophical belief as 'wise and sensible!', while demeaning the competition. ..A common religious practice.

But it is simpler, on the surface:

Atheism: belief in no God
    Theism: belief in God

Both still beliefs. Both still religious opinions, that can kill each other for those opinions.

9. Salvador

Ratings:
    +1,241
    Religion:
    Swedenborgianism
    1. God is undefined.

2. Do you agree/disagree with the following: An omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient, highly benevolent supernatural theistic deity does not possibly exist in a universe where children suffer.

• Like Like x 1
  10. lukethethird

lukethethird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +406
    Religion:
    Xian
    If atheism is a religion then I want nothing to do with it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. usfan

usfan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +462
    Religion:
    Biblical Christianity
    1. Of course 'God' is undefined, and generic, to fit in the general 'theistic' descriptor (or 'religious', if you prefer).
    2. Beliefs about suffering are a deflection, and have no bearing on the possibility of 'God/no God'.

Suffering is not the cause of God, nor proof of His nonexistence.

12. ecco

ecco Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,975
    Religion:
    atheist
    I've often wondered why religious folk, especially Christian Conservatives, are so keen on trying to equate atheism with religion. Do they (you) think that because we find your beliefs in all things supernatural to be silly, we should also find our own disbeliefs in all things supernatural to be silly?

It's almost like they know their ideas are ridiculous and want need to drag us down to their level are (ir)rationality.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. ecco

ecco Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,975
    Religion:
    atheist
    If what you say is true, you are calling me a liar when I say I am an atheist.

Perhaps what you mean is that you do not share any religious beliefs with atheists.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Salvador

Ratings:
    +1,241
    Religion:
    Swedenborgianism
    A highly powerful, knowing, caring theistic being would indeed neither allow children to get rapped nor suffer from disease; hence, this suffering of children is indicative of the non-existence of said highly powerful, knowing, caring theistic being.

If you disagree with this, then please explain why?

15. usfan

usfan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +462
    Religion:
    Biblical Christianity
    Hi ecco.. our paths cross again, it seems. ;)

Not me. I want to embrace my fellow wanderers and seekers of truth on this lonely planet. We are in this together, and i am inclusive in seeing my atheist brethren as fellow human beings, groping alone in the dark, looking for answers for our existence.

Maybe its all for naught, and we'll all die in a meaningless , godless universe, with no soul, no purpose, and no hope.

But maybe there is a spark of Awareness.. a glimmer of sight in a world of blindness.

We're all blind men groping for the elephant. Perhaps each of our perspectives will bring Enlightenment.

16. ecco

ecco Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,975
    Religion:
    atheist
    I consider atheism to be a positive belief.

It is a belief in the knowledge that gods are the creations of man's imaginings. It is no different, in essence, then belief in the knowledge that Spiderman is the creation of a man's imaginings.

• Like Like x 1
  17. usfan

usfan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +462
    Religion:
    Biblical Christianity
    Now, now.. let's be civil and real, here. I implied nor said anything of the sort..
    You want me to delve into the Question of Suffering with a one liner? :)

Shirley, you jest. ;)

18. viole

viole Metaphysical Naturalist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,130
    Religion:
    Gnostic Atheism
    Is lack of belief in sirens and cyclops a mythology?

Ciao

- viole

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Altfish

Ratings:
    +6,406
    Religion:
    Humanist
    OK, where do I get my tax benefits?

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. columbus

columbus Conservative Catholic from Hell

Ratings:
    +12,734
    Religion:
    None
    It is, however, proof(compelling evidence) that the omnimax, benevolent, sentient being described by Abrahamic religion is irrational and logically incoherent.

Doesn't mean He doesn't exist.
    Tom

• Like Like x 1