1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Religion and Atheism

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by usfan, May 26, 2019.

1. Firemorphic

Firemorphic Activist Membrane

Ratings:
    +519
    Religion:
    Shia Islam (Twelver)
    Well it's inevitably related, even to an atheist's dismay (as it is a position) but is realistically no more a 'religion' than Theism is.
    There are some religions that lean towards or vehemently promote Atheism though, so it obviously fits somewhere in the mold.

• Like Like x 2
  2. shunyadragon

shunyadragon Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,227
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    If you are drawing a parallel, yes.

3. shunyadragon

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,227
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    . . . a belief system or a religious belief that rejects the existence of God(s) or god(s), who may be affiliated with an organized religion like an Atheist Church or Unitarian Universalists.

4. Jim

Jim Nets of Wonder

Ratings:
    +1,331
    Religion:
    learning to follow Baha'u'llah
    The reasons for objecting to it might be different for different people. For me it’s mostly frustration about the ignorance it displays about atheists, and seeing it all being explained over and over again, and people refusing to understand.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Altfish

Altfish Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,413
    Religion:
    Humanist
    How can NOT believing in something be a religion?

There are various definitions of RELIGION but all are similar...
    A religion is a set of beliefs that is passionately held by a group of people that is reflected in a world view and in expected beliefs and actions (which are often ritualized). There are many different religions, each with a different set of beliefs.
    OR
    Religion is a cultural system of designated behaviors and practices, morals, worldviews, texts, sanctified places, prophecies, ethics, or organizations, that relates humanity to supernatural, transcendental, or spiritual elements.

Atheism has no world view; has no actions or rituals, no sanctified places, morals or ethics. All atheism is is a lack of belief in gods.

No if you change atheism to Humanism or Secularism then you start to bring in world views; but certainly not atheism.

• Winner Winner x 4
  6. Altfish

Ratings:
    +6,413
    Religion:
    Humanist
    Well, I've not done it for the last 50+ years... but I wouldn't call it a hobby.

Yes, I am an atheist but I only think about it when religion is brought up and starts to influence my way of life.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Altfish

Ratings:
    +6,413
    Religion:
    Humanist
    ???

8. shunyadragon

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,227
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    !!!!!!!!

Many Zen Buddhists consider themselves atheists and do not collect stamps.

• Like Like x 2
  9. shunyadragon

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,227
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    Sounds like atheists would qualify here as set of beliefs that do not include God(s)

Atheists would not fit a definition as a religious belief, but in and of itself it is not a religion. You would have to be a Unitarian or Zen Buddhist to a part of a religion, or an atheist church.

Atheism has a world view that does not include God(s). Atheism

#29 shunyadragon, May 26, 2019
    Last edited: May 26, 2019
  10. usfan

usfan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +462
    Religion:
    Biblical Christianity
    I don't see most atheists as 'belonging to a religion', like an institution, but neither are most theists. Lots of people who believe in God have nothing to do with religious institutions, so they would be just as 'non-religious', as an atheist.

It just seems to be an elitist definition, to call atheism, 'science!', and theism, 'religious!'

We all have an opinion about the nature of God, man, and the universe. Why not have a common defining descriptor, like 'religious belief', or 'philosophical opinion'?

11. Jim

Jim Nets of Wonder

Ratings:
    +1,331
    Religion:
    Mostly what I see being called “atheism” in Internet forums and atheist blogs looks to me like a kind of fellowship that revolves around denouncing Christianity and Christians, and blaming some things they do wrong on their beliefs in Gods. I don’t see any linguistic reason or practical value in calling that a “religion.” Within that fellowship it’s popular to define “atheism” as any philosophy of life that does not include belief in the existence or reality of any gods. Again, I don’t see any linguistic reason or practical value in lumping all those philosophies together as one “religion.”

• Like Like x 1
  12. usfan

usfan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +462
    Religion:
    Biblical Christianity
    Would someone who believes in God, but does not engage in 'religious acts', be religious? I see the 'religious'! label generously applied to any flavor of theism, why should atheism be excluded? How is the majority of theistic beliefs a hobby?

A belief system, or foundational belief provides the basis for most other beliefs, and colors one's outlook. A 'no God' opinion is just as significant to one's worldview as a 'God' belief, no?

Why should one opinion about the universe be labeled with some dismissive term, (religious!), but another be excepted?

13. usfan

usfan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +462
    Religion:
    Biblical Christianity
    I agree. But lumping into 'religion!' is exactly what many atheists do with theists, and especially Christians. Since the term has devolved into a pejorative, why bother with it at all?

If a theist is discussing their beliefs/opinions/conjectures, about God, Man, and the universe, how is that 'religious!', while an atheist doing the same thing, is not?

It seems to be a double standard, and using word definitions to demean other's beliefs. It is not evenly applied, as a useful descriptor.

• Like Like x 1
  14. columbus

columbus Conservative Catholic from Hell

Ratings:
    +12,766
    Religion:
    None
    That's because Christians commonly justify some ugly behavior with statements that begin with "God wants..", or "The Bible says..", or similar things.
    Tom

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. usfan

usfan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +462
    Religion:
    Biblical Christianity
    We already have, 'theism', and specifics like 'Islam', so what is the point of defining, 'religious' as only relating to a belief in God? Is not an atheistic opinion just another religious belief? Or has the term become so degrading that it can only be applied as a pejorative towards xtians?

16. Jim

Jim Nets of Wonder

Ratings:
    +1,331
    Religion:
    I don’t think I’ve seen anyone calling atheism “science.” What I have seen is people substituting whatever their faction calls “science” in the place of a religion in their lives. They use the word “science” in all the worst ways that people use the word “God,” and they misuse reports of research in all the worst ways that people misuse religious scriptures.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Jim

Jim Nets of Wonder

Ratings:
    +1,331
    Religion:
    Agreed.

• Like Like x 1
  18. shunyadragon

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,227
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    Side note: I have meet many many people who deny what they believe is a religious belief or belong to a religion or church including Jews, Buddhists, Taoists, Jehovah Witnesses, and other Christian divisions. Interesting rock to throw at other people who believe differently,

• Like Like x 2
  19. usfan

usfan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +462
    Religion:
    Biblical Christianity
    I don't see 'Christians!' as having an exclusive on 'ugly behaviour'. Its a human thing, imo, and seems to cross over all ideological boundaries.
    ..perhaps my involvement in scientific forums has given me a different perspective. I hear variations of that remark all the time.

'Religion vs Science!' is the phony ideological 'war' that has been raging for decades, now. But that is inaccurate. It is really, 'Religion vs Religion!', as it has been for all of human history.

20. usfan

usfan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +462
    Religion:
    Biblical Christianity
    Yes. Why is one philosophical belief dismissed with a demeaning label, 'Religion!', while another skates off unhindered by any negative connotations?