• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Relationships between the macro and the micro pt.3

Mychael

Merlin had a magic wand. The Harry Potter movies are the Merlin story for our age.Both their magic wands were made of the wood from Holly. Hollywood is used to change the conscience of the whole Human Race. Through the moving talking Images we've all been exposed to things that have harden are hearts, blinded are eyes and deafen our ears to only follow the example given by these Images for most of us in this age. Most people would never know the different ways to kill if it wasn't for watching Hollywood Films and the Games they have inspired.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The Harry Potter movies are the Merlin story for our age.
Not quite. They share a major plot device where Good may be forced to use violence against Evil, but Mallory's version of the Arthur legend is otherwise about sex (Guinevere's adultery and its consequences which bring about the collapse of order); whereas Rowling's is about redemption and overcoming. She has essentially Christian values and indeed you can map quite a bit of the Jesus story onto Harry.
Both their magic wands were made of the wood from Holly. Hollywood is used to change the conscience of the whole Human Race. Through the moving talking Images we've all been exposed to things that have harden are hearts, blinded are eyes and deafen our ears to only follow the example given by these Images for most of us in this age.
What, specifically? If there are violent social trends generated by movies, where can I read the evidence?

After all, isn't it the case that there's a clearer, more consistent, more ancient and vastly more important link between crimes and poverty?

Should we try to address inequality, and do what we can to level the playing field?

Or should we legislate to ban all movies?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
She has essentially Christian values and indeed you can map quite a bit of the Jesus story onto Harry.

You can find a Jesus narrative in the story of ET as well.....he comes to earth, heals people, makes good friends who try to protect him from the authorities, he dies and is resurrected before returning home.....its amazing what gets woven into Hollywood movies....:rolleyes:

What, specifically? If there are violent social trends generated by movies, where can I read the evidence?

Hollywood is certainly not the only place where we will find stories of gross violence and immorality.....the Bible contains many such stories, but they are there as warning examples rather that just as gratuitous stories of humans misbehaving.

Hollywood is a good promoter of the kind of violence and immorality that were foretold for our time....like the days of Noah, Jesus said...(Matthew 24:37-39; Genesis 6:11-12) :(

Mychael

Not quite. They share a major plot device where Good may be forced to use violence against Evil, but Mallory's version of the Arthur legend is otherwise about sex (Guinevere's adultery and its consequences which bring about the collapse of order); whereas Rowling's is about redemption and overcoming. She has essentially Christian values and indeed you can map quite a bit of the Jesus story onto Harry.

After all, isn't it the case that there's a clearer, more consistent, more ancient and vastly more important link between crimes and poverty?

Should we try to address inequality, and do what we can to level the playing field?

Or should we legislate to ban all movies?
It is a question of conscience not to get involved with the things that lead to another person falling. In my opinion you only need to look around you. Evidence can be looked at in how hard it would be to get a good job in the city without owning a cell phone.Try and talk some into walking away from their crystal balls and see how hard set we are on this path. Seeds are planted in Holywood's movies....does this bring us together or just to keep our attention off what is really going on in this world?

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You can find a Jesus narrative in the story of ET as well.....he comes to earth, heals people, makes good friends who try to protect him from the authorities, he dies and is resurrected before returning home.....its amazing what gets woven into Hollywood movies....:rolleyes:
Harry's birth causes consternation for the forces of evil, and Voldemort is destroyed by love, but Harry unknowingly infected with evil. Voldemort is resurrected. Harry's life then becomes a mission. He attracts loyal followers. One of them (Ron) deserts him just before the climax, but comes back. Harry must voluntarily die in order to be free of the evil that affected him at his birth. His death is the third last step in destroying evil. He too is resurrected. This directly results in victory and the world is then a better place. (Of course, Christianity would identify with the imperatives of decency that Harry and friends follow ─ loyalty, solidarity and mutual support, courage, fortitude and resourcefulness ─ but so would most people.)
Hollywood is certainly not the only place where we will find stories of gross violence and immorality.....the Bible contains many such stories, but they are there as warning examples rather that just as gratuitous stories of humans misbehaving.
As the bible well knows, humans are never more interesting than when they're misbehaving. You worry about human sexuality (as such, abuse-free &c) far more than I do. My way worked for me. No doubt yours does for you, but I have the more interesting memories. And no one got hurt.
Hollywood is a good promoter of the kind of violence and immorality that were foretold for our time....like the days of Noah, Jesus said...(Matthew 24:37-39; Genesis 6:11-12) :(
As to violence, four of the five Jesuses assault the moneychangers, lawfully going about their business in the Temple.

As to 'immorality', Matthew 's Jesus and Luke's Jesus each have a mother who isn't married to his father.

Quaint, ain't it.

Last edited:

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It is a question of conscience not to get involved with the things that lead to another person falling. In my opinion you only need to look around you. Evidence can be looked at in how hard it would be to get a good job in the city without owning a cell phone.Try and talk some into walking away from their crystal balls and see how hard set we are on this path. Seeds are planted in Holywood's movies....does this bring us together or just to keep our attention off what is really going on in this world?
You didn't answer my question.

Which would achieve more? Working for the relief of poverty, social justice and the level playing field?

Or making movies illegal?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Harry's birth causes consternation for the forces of evil, and Voldemort is destroyed by love, but Harry unknowingly infected with evil. Voldemort is resurrected. Harry's life then becomes a mission. He attracts loyal followers. One of them (Ron) deserts him just before the climax, but comes back. Harry must voluntarily die in order to be free of the evil that affected him at his birth. His death is the third last step in destroying evil. He too is resurrected. This directly results in victory and the world is then a better place. (Of course, Christianity would identify with the imperatives of decency that Harry and friends follow ─ loyalty, solidarity and mutual support, courage, fortitude and resourcefulness ─ but so would most people.)

Never really was interested in Harry Potter.....magic is not given a good wrap in the Bible so I tend to avoid it in entertainment.

At least ET was an extra terrestrial.....the Bible speaks about extra terrestrials you know....

As the bible well knows, humans are never more interesting than when they're misbehaving. You worry about human sexuality (as such, abuse-free &c) far more than I do. My way worked for me. No doubt yours does for you, but I have the more interesting memories. And no one got hurt.

Sometimes people get hurt more than they realize....especially if there is a 'price' to pay for all that fun...:D

As to violence, four of the five Jesuses assault the moneychangers, lawfully going about their business in the Temple.

No sorry, I don't buy that. First of all I believe the whips were to drive out the animals; the sellers would have been ion hot pursuit. And secondly it was not legitimate business that these ones were carrying out at all.....they were extorting money from their 'brothers' by overcharging them for sacrificial animals, selling them right there in the Temple. Because the journey to Jerusalem was long for many who came to worship at the Temple, they had a roaring trade by selling what these ones couldn't bring with them..... and also charging fees for money conversion as well. Jesus said that they had 'turned his Father's house into a den of thieves'. He wasn't kidding.

As to 'immorality', Matthew 's Jesus and Luke's Jesus each have a mother who isn't married to his father.

Nonsense. Mary and Joseph were betrothed, which in Jewish circles meant as good as married. Coming from a poor background, Joseph was not able to afford a wedding feast, as this was something only the wealthy could host. There was no ceremony as we have today, all that took place was that the groom made a place for his his new wife, often in the family home, and he would make it known when he was to take his wife to her new home, and well wishers would line the route and give the couple their best wishes. It was a public event so that all would know that the marriage had taken place.

Where do you get your ideas? There is usually nothing to back them up.

Mychael

Never really was interested in Harry Potter.....magic is not given a good wrap in the Bible so I tend to avoid it in entertainment.

At least ET was an extra terrestrial.....the Bible speaks about extra terrestrials you know....

Sometimes people get hurt more than they realize....especially if there is a 'price' to pay for all that fun...:D

No sorry, I don't buy that. First of all I believe the whips were to drive out the animals; the sellers would have been ion hot pursuit. And secondly it was not legitimate business that these ones were carrying out at all.....they were extorting money from their 'brothers' by overcharging them for sacrificial animals, selling them right there in the Temple. Because the journey to Jerusalem was long for many who came to worship at the Temple, they had a roaring trade by selling what these ones couldn't bring with them..... and also charging fees for money conversion as well. Jesus said that they had 'turned his Father's house into a den of thieves'. He wasn't kidding.

Nonsense. Mary and Joseph were betrothed, which in Jewish circles meant as good as married. Coming from a poor background, Joseph was not able to afford a wedding feast, as this was something only the wealthy could host. There was no ceremony as we have today, all that took place was that the groom made a place for his his new wife, often in the family home, and he would make it known when he was to take his wife to her new home, and well wishers would line the route and give the couple their best wishes. It was a public event so that all would know that the marriage had taken place.

Thank-you for your posts i appreciate them.
In my opinion error is always more busy than ignorance. Ignorance is a blank sheet on which we can write; but error is a scribbled one, from which we must first erase. Ignorance is content to stand still with it's back to the truth, but error is more presumptuous, and proceeds in the wrong direction. Ignorance has no light, but error follows a false one. The consequences are, that error, when its steps are retraced, has further to go before it can arrive at the truth, than ignorance. I prefer to work with ignorance over error for as a teacher I find I can reach far more people who are open to understanding in a given amount of time than to work with just one individual in error.
Your mind is like a parachute......it always works best when its open.

Mychael

You didn't answer my question.

Which would achieve more? Working for the relief of poverty, social justice and the level playing field?

Or making movies illegal?
If this is your conscience than you should act upon your conscience. My path is different. What you despise in another be sure to correct first in yourself. Everybody you fight with is not always your enemy and everybody who helps you is not always your friend.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss

Ah, so the woman giving birth does not have to be married to the father of the child so long as she is married?

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The bible, and not least the NT, is full of magic ─ the Resurrection, the other miracles, prophecy and so on.
You mean angels, I take it?
The solution lies in education above all, and then the biochemistry.
No sorry, I don't buy that. First of all I believe the whips were to drive out the animals; the sellers would have been in hot pursuit.
The author of John disagrees with you:

2: 14 In the temple he found those who were selling oxen and sheep and pigeons, and the money-changers at their business.15 And making a whip of cords, he drove them all, with the sheep and oxen, out of the temple; and he poured out the coins of the money-changers and overturned their tables.​

That's no way to treat people going lawfully about their business. He's just a thug.
And secondly it was not legitimate business that these ones were carrying out at all.....they were extorting money from their 'brothers' by overcharging them for sacrificial animals, selling them right there in the Temple.
They were doing nothing that the Temple authorities didn't know about and approve of. If Jesus wants to take the law into his own hands, then we should all follow his example and smash what we don't like, no matter how usual, lawful or traditional, you say?
Nonsense. Mary and Joseph were betrothed, which in Jewish circles meant as good as married.
You really must read your own book one day. It says neither the Jesus of Matthew nor the Jesus or Luke is the son of Mary's betrothed. Jesus' birth is expressly the result of extramarital (extrapremarital?) insemination. If Mary and Joseph are as good as married then Jesus' birth is the fruit of adultery. No other interpretation is possible,
Matthew 1:18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ took place in this way. When his mother Mary had been betrothed to Joseph, before they came together she was found to be with child of the Holy Spirit;

Luke 1:26 In the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God to a city of Galilee named Nazareth, 27 to a virgin betrothed to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary. [...] 30 And the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. 31 And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus. [...] 34 And Mary said to the angel, "How shall this be, since I have no husband?" 35 And the angel said to her, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the child to be born will be called holy, the Son of God.
Extramarital (or extrapremarital) relations, and since you say they were as good as married, adulterous. Any questions?

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If this is your conscience than you should act upon your conscience. My path is different. What you despise in another be sure to correct first in yourself. Everybody you fight with is not always your enemy and everybody who helps you is not always your friend.
I don't despise anyone. I simply ask you why you want to put the emphasis on shutting down movies instead of putting the ax into the real root of the problem, which is poverty and underprivilege.

A proposition you haven't disputed, incidentally.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Ah, so the woman giving birth does not have to be married to the father of the child so long as she is married?

There is "married", as in being recognized by your community as husband and wife....and there is "married" as in when you consummate the union. That is the time that a husband and wife become "one flesh". Joseph did not consummate the marriage out of respect for the holy child his wife was carrying. The fact that Mary remained a virgin throughout her pregnancy also rules out any human father.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Luke 3: 23....."When Jesus began his work, he was about 30 years old, being the son, as the opinion was, of Joseph.....

The community treated Jesus as Joseph's firstborn and he was indeed his adoptive father.....the man who raised him... the one he called "Dad" (Pappa).

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Any questions?

What would be the point.....? :facepalm: There is so much wrong with that reply I don't know where to start...so I won't.

I'll let the Boss correct you....you've got your fingers in your ears whislin' Dixie....

The word according to blü.....anyone else read that book?

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
There is "married", as in being recognized by your community as husband and wife....and there is "married" as in when you consummate the union. That is the time that a husband and wife become "one flesh". Joseph did not consummate the marriage out of respect for the holy child his wife was carrying. The fact that Mary remained a virgin throughout her pregnancy also rules out any human father.
So then the answer to my question would be yes, right?
That the woman need not be married to the father of the child being birthed so long as she is married to someone.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
So then the answer to my question would be yes, right?
That the woman need not be married to the father of the child being birthed so long as she is married to someone.

No matter how you twist that...it is not true in this case....the circumstance were unique....just like Jesus' baptism. It was a "one-off" because the situation demanded it. You wanna argue with God about that? o_O

The Messiah had to come from outside the sinful human race and he had to be born "Jewish" (a son of Abraham) of the tribe of Judah. God chose Mary and Joseph as a couple to raise his son. Joseph respected his wife's bodily integrity until her commission was fulfilled. Jesus was not their only child, but it says that he did not have relations with his wife "until" after the birth of Jesus.
No one knew that Jesus was not the son of Joseph. Who would have believed them? Perhaps only Mary's cousin, the mother of John the Baptist....herself carrying the child of a miracle. Jesus was the son of Joseph by adoption.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
No matter how you twist that...it is not true in this case....
So Mary was then in fact married to the father?

the circumstance were unique....
So Mary was then in fact not married to the father?

You seem to be having difficulty making up your mind...

just like Jesus' baptism. It was a "one-off" because the situation demanded it. You wanna argue with God about that? o_O
If he was willing to, yes, I would.
But since he is conveniently absent....

The Messiah had to come from outside the sinful human race and he had to be born "Jewish" (a son of Abraham) of the tribe of Judah. God chose Mary and Joseph as a couple to raise his son. Joseph respected his wife's bodily integrity until her commission was fulfilled. Jesus was not their only child, but it says that he did not have relations with his wife "until" after the birth of Jesus.
No one knew that Jesus was not the son of Joseph. Who would have believed them? Perhaps only Mary's cousin, the mother of John the Baptist....herself carrying the child of a miracle. Jesus was the son of Joseph by adoption.
You are far to concerned about Joseph.
Since Joseph is not the father, no one else knowing is a separate issue, Mary was NOT married to the father.

Is it correct to say that Mary was not married to the father of Jesus?
It is interesting how you seem completely unable (or unwilling) to give a simple straight forward answer to this simple straight forward question.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What would be the point.....? :facepalm: There is so much wrong with that reply I don't know where to start...so I won't.

I'll let the Boss correct you....you've got your fingers in your ears whislin' Dixie....

The word according to blü.....anyone else read that book?
It's not according to blü ─ it's according to the authors of Matthew and of Luke respectively, as I've shown you. Please tell me how Joseph is the father of Matthew's Jesus and Luke's Jesus when the texts say he's not?

Please tell me how those texts fais to show that Mary wasn't married to Jesus' father?

(Of coure the problem arises because the LXX puts 'parthenos' to translate '`almah', the smoking gun that these stories are fulfillment-of-purported-prophecy fictions. Salacious fictions, perhaps, but fictions.)

Mychael

I don't despise anyone. I simply ask you why you want to put the emphasis on shutting down movies instead of putting the ax into the real root of the problem, which is poverty and underprivilege.

A proposition you haven't disputed, incidentally.
My path is to teach another first how to find their true identity and the Light that is within them. If they can find this then we wouldn't have these problems. Too busy to find their Light, too busy serving a corporate spirit, too busy to raise their children so artificial Life and Light does. There is so many things to point at but the root of it is lose of Identity and lose of ones own Light that I would say comes from the Universal Creator.