• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reincarnation

The Crimson Universe

If according to the Hindu belief we lived as plants, insects and animals in our past lives, then why in this current human birth we don't "completely" act like them?

We are being told that we retain samskaras (mental imprints like memories and habits) of our past lives.
So if this is correct and if some of us were dogs in our past lives, then why don't we humans stick our tounge out often like the dogs usually do?
How come we don't headbutt like the rhinos or hoot like the owls if we have all those samskaras/imprints buried deep in our psyche?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
If according to the Hindu belief we lived as plants, insects and animals in our past lives, then why in this current human birth we don't "completely" act like them?

We are being told that we retain samskaras (mental imprints like memories and habits) of our past lives.
So if this is correct and if some of us were dogs in our past lives, then why don't we humans stick our tounge out often like the dogs usually do?
How come we don't headbutt like the rhinos or hoot like the owls if we have all those samskaras/imprints buried deep in our psyche?
Even when you are 33 years old you don't act like a 3 month or 3 year old, even while these first 4 years are major imprints. We do seem to evolve, and while evolution continues we don't use what we don't need anymore, esp. when we have surpassed that stadium, and learned new (better) ways

The Crimson Universe

Even when you are 33 years old you don't act like a 3 month or 3 year old, even while these first 4 years are major imprints. We do seem to evolve, and while evolution continues we don't use what we don't need anymore, esp. when we have surpassed that stadium, and learned new (better) ways

Its true our soul (mind/ego) is constantly evolving but the speed at which we evolve varies from one person to another.
There's a part of me that still holds onto the rebellious 17 year old me. :D

Some of us still hold onto the things of our past, whether they be positive or negative.
A man who didn't get the oppurtunity to flourish as a painter in his last life will probably be born in a kind supportive family (due to his unfullfilled desire that are etched deep in his psyche).
Similarly, a man who was a murderer in his previous life will probably be born in a hostile environment due to his karma and may continue to show violent agressive traits etched deep in his psyche.

If we can hold onto some of the good and bad qualities of our past human lives, then why can't we do the same from our past animal lives? :confused:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Dogs can't perspire. Therefore, they instinctively stick out their tongues to cool their bodies when they are hot. Humans perspire to cool their bodies. Both are warm blooded animals that must regulate their temperature, and each has different means to cool the bodies. Yet, both cool the bodies.

Rhinos instinctively headbutt to defend themselves or their territories, or to claim superiorities over one another. Humans instinctively ball their hands into fists and strike one another to do the same...or use tools to create weapons. Yet both defend their territories and claim superiority over one another.

Owls hoot to communicate. Humans use words. Yet both communicate through sound.

The forms are different, but samskaras are still present.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Not all Hindu schools believe that. Besides, it is the soul that takes on new bodies, and there is no need for the characteristics of bodies to be similar.

The Crimson Universe

Dogs can't perspire. Therefore, they instinctively stick out their tongues to cool their bodies when they are hot. Humans perspire to cool their bodies. Both are warm blooded animals that must regulate their temperature, and each has different means to cool the bodies. Yet, both cool the bodies.

Rhinos instinctively headbutt to defend themselves or their territories, or to claim superiorities over one another. Humans instinctively ball their hands into fists and strike one another to do the same...or use tools to create weapons. Yet both defend their territories and claim superiority over one another.

Owls hoot to communicate. Humans use words. Yet both communicate through sound.

The forms are different, but samskaras are still present.

So it all depends on the vessel then.

A dog won't say meow even though it has the samskaras of being a cat in its past life.

stvdv

Its true our soul (mind/ego) is constantly evolving but the speed at which we evolve varies from one person to another.
There's a part of me that still holds onto the rebellious 17 year old me. :D

Some of us still hold onto the things of our past, whether they be positive or negative.
A man who didn't get the oppurtunity to flourish as a painter in his last life will probably be born in a kind supportive family (due to his unfullfilled desire that are etched deep in his psyche).
Similarly, a man who was a murderer in his previous life will probably be born in a hostile environment due to his karma and may continue to show violent agressive traits etched deep in his psyche.

If we can hold onto some of the good and bad qualities of our past human lives, then why can't we do the same from our past animal lives? :confused:
I don't know myself about these things nor will there be many people who really know these kind of things, but I did hear Sathya Sai Baba say a few things about this.

Scientist believe in evolution, but even they have no clue how to answer such questions I think. You need to ask God for it:D

It's a great :cool: Blessing that we don't remember our past lives, don't you think?;)

Last edited:

The Crimson Universe

It's a great :cool: Blessing that we don't remember out past lives, don't you think?;)

There are benefits. Yes.
We all probably went through a lot of physical and mental torture in our previous lives and its a good thing we don't remember any of them.
Not a good thing to carry past life trauma, right.

But the downside is that whatever knowledge we gathered in our past lives is still there, buried in our chitta, but we remember none of them. We again have to start from the beginning and relearn everything. :(

stvdv

There are benefits. Yes.
We all probably went through a lot of physical and mental torture in our previous lives and its a good thing we don't remember any of them.
Not a good thing to carry past life trauma, right.
Exactly

Sai Baba told us, when someone asked about this, "You were all rapists, murderers etc. in previous births...be glad that God veils this, and then there still are people who try to remember their previous incarnations...."

But the downside is that whatever knowledge we gathered in our past lives is still there, buried in our chitta, but we remember none of them. We again have to start from the beginning and relearn everything. :(
Not completely...some are born genuses

But not many, just very, very few, maybe that means that the majority did stuff in previous lives that best stays hidden:D

IF the goal of life is Self Realisation then we need to "unlearn" things more than "learn" (new) things, right?

So, to me, all of this still makes sense. But I understand that others see this as a "problem", because nowadays there is immense focus on physical knowledge (science) and relative little focus on Wisdom; esp. in the West

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I don't know myself about these things nor will there be many people who really know these kind of things, but I did hear Sathya Sai Baba say a few things about this.

Scientist believe in evolution, but even they have no clue how to answer such questions I think. You need to ask God for it:D

It's a great :cool: Blessing that we don't remember out past lives, don't you think?;)

I don't consider it a blessing, as it's just irrelevant. It's not really a blessing to not know something.

stvdv

I don't consider it a blessing, as it's just irrelevant. It's not really a blessing to not know something.
We disagree on this.

I can think of many scenarios where I find it relevant, and also a Blessing to "not know certain things"

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
Hello,

May be the 5 'koshas' or 'sheaths of the body' has anything to do with this?

They say there are 5 sheaths surrounding the 'atman' in a human being. i) Annamaya kosha ii) Pranamaya Kosha iii) Vignanamaya Kosha iv) Anandamaya Kosha v) Manomaya Kosha.

To me, they are different types of cognizance or intelligence that surround the ethereal soul. Therefore I believe that owing to this type of 'endowed intelligence' of varying kinds, humans eventually forget or unlearn primitive tendencies and act like humans.

*This may or may not be true, just my theory.

shivsomashekhar

My answer is, you never had past lives.

Speaking for myself, I like this answer because it eliminates a number of open questions. Logic says the simplest answer is the one that does not raise more questions than it answers - and usually the simplest answer is the right answer.

If you go to the first Veda - the Rig Veda - there was no reincarnation. People lived on earth exactly once and upon death went to Pitru loka (the realm of ancestors). @Aupmanyav recently pointed out that "OM" does not appear in the Rig Veda. Therefore, reincarnation, OM, etc are later creations - meaning it is OK to say No to them.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Speaking for myself, I like this answer because it eliminates a number of open questions. Logic says the simplest answer is the one that does not raise more questions than it answers - and usually the simplest answer is the right answer.
No past lives, no future lives, just this one life. Removes all questions. Value it, enjoy it, and let others also enjoy their life. Use 'Okham's Razor' (William of Okham, 1287 – 1347 CE) or the older 'Kesamutti Sutta' (Wikipedia) of Buddha (6-5 Century BCE).

The Crimson Universe

If you go to the first Veda - the Rig Veda - there was no reincarnation. People lived on earth exactly once and upon death went to Pitru loka (the realm of ancestors). @Aupmanyav recently pointed out that "OM" does not appear in the Rig Veda. Therefore, reincarnation, OM, etc are later creations - meaning it is OK to say No to them.

In the Gita, the Lord himself speaks of the "dehi" (jiva) that sheds its physical garment and puts on a new one. It travels and carries all the mental imprints to the next life, just like the fragrance of a flower travels.

Krishna says, that those who are tamasic are reborn into mudha yonisu (foolish wombs).

When i posted this thread I wasn't looking for an Advaitic answer :=) but instead a dualistic one which believes in this multiplicity, karma, and reincarnation.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
In the Gita, the Lord himself speaks of the "dehi" (jiva) that sheds its physical garment and puts on a new one. It travels and carries all the mental imprints to the next life, just like the fragrance of a flower travels.

Krishna says, that those who are tamasic are reborn into mudha yonisu (foolish wombs).

When i posted this thread I wasn't looking for an Advaitic answer :=) but instead a dualistic one which believes in this multiplicity, karma, and reincarnation.

Yes, he does say that in chapter 2 of the Bhagavad Gita. So, the answer you are looking for is a Vaishnava perspective. Not all schools or sects of Hinduism have the same beliefs. As a Vaishnava I hold to what the Lord says: "Never was there a time when I did not exist, nor you, nor all these kings; nor in the future shall any of us cease to be. Just as the embodied soul continuously passes from childhood to youth to old age, similarly, at the time of death, the soul passes into another body. The wise are not deluded by this. ... As a person sheds worn-out garments and wears new ones, likewise, at the time of death, the soul casts off its worn-out body and enters a new one." How one is reborn, into what form or body is of course dependent on their previous life/lives ... karmic effects. One can be born as a human, said to be the highest goal of rebirth, yet so many humans commit abominable actions. These souls "fall down" for whatever reason, possibly because they carry imprints of their past lives. I think we carry those as well as karmic effects. I have no idea if any of that addresses your question(s).

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Atma is a separate unit. There is no 'dog atma' or 'rhino atma'. It is part of the absolute*.

Yes, perhaps we retain 'samskaras'. There are manageable children and unmanageable children, theists and atheists, some are selfish, others have empathy, dogs and horses. Each living being (human, animal, vegetation), has its own personal characteristics. Some roses have fragrance, some do not. Some trees give tasty mangoes, some do not. These may be 'samskaras', remainders from previous existence.

* (now that is not 'Advaita' since you did not ask for an 'Advaitic' answer. It is not the 'Dvaita' answer too, because in 'Dvaita', a human or animal 'atmas' have their separate existence, no crossing of the boundaries. It is a mid-way answer - qualified 'Advaita' - Vishishtadvaita, Dvaitadvaita, Shuddhadvaita, Acintya Bheabheda Advaita. :)).

Last edited:

ajay0

Not all Hindu sects go by this belief of reincarnation from animals or insects.

The Shaivite sect of Brahmakumaris believe that humans reincarnate only as humans and the same goes for the other animals and insects which incarnate as the same .

Going through books by western psychiatrists like Dr. Brian Weiss, Dr. Michael Newton and Dr. Ian Stevenson, I have never come across a case study of an animal or insect reincarnating as a human being, though there are plenty of case studies of humans reincarnating as human beings belonging to different genders, races, religions and nationalities.

The habitual tendencies of past human lives however tend to occur in present lives as well.

Same goes for talents.Mozart creating masterpieces at the age of five denotes training and expertise of a past life. Same goes for other child prodigies.

Bad habits similarly may stem from past lives and if unchecked, would move to future lives as well.

Yogananda's conversation with Tiger Swami in his book, 'Autobiography of a Yogi', sheds light on this subject of reincarnation and inherited tendencies.

Chapter 6: The Tiger Swami - Ananda India

"The body is literally manufactured and sustained by mind. Through pressure of instincts from past lives, strengths or weaknesses percolate gradually into human consciousness. They express as habits, which in turn ossify into a desirable or an undesirable body. Outward frailty has mental origin; in a vicious circle, the habit-bound body thwarts the mind. If the master allows himself to be commanded by a servant, the latter becomes autocratic; the mind is similarly enslaved by submitting to bodily dictation.” ~ Tiger Swami

Last edited: