• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reincarnation

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
For those of you who believe in literal reincarnation, does it ever cross your mind, walking through a cemetery, that you could be walking on the soil above the shell you once used?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
For those of you who believe in literal reincarnation, does it ever cross your mind, walking through a cemetery, that you could be walking on the soil above the shell you once used?

Of course. I tried to visit the grave, but haven't yet been able to ... sort of far away. Did visit a couple of graves of the people who my kids were. Two others were cremated so that would be kind of difficult. But I have talked to relatives of their shells.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Of course. I tried to visit the grave, but haven't yet been able to ... sort of far away. Did visit a couple of graves of the people who my kids were. Two others were cremated so that would be kind of difficult. But I have talked to relatives of their shells.

I meant unknowingly. It's just a little strange thought is all. Waking right past a corpse that was once you without even knowing it.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

No, but I would love to know my past but there's probably a greater wisdom that doesn't allow this.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I meant unknowingly. It's just a little strange thought is all. Waking right past a corpse that was once you without even knowing it.

If there is something of a gap between that person's death and my birth, sure why not?

Now here's something really strange, though it is anecdotal... recipients of donated organs have been said to assume some of the characteristics of the deceased organ donor. If this is true, then I suggest that it kind of supports the idea of interconnectivity of us all.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

Interesting idea; for me personally, the lives I remember were nowhere near where I currently live, although I guess it could in theory happen. More likely though, because bodies are constantly changing atoms while maintaining a form or appearance, atoms that once were part of my prior abodes have been, are now and will be part of this one. It's the same idea that atoms that were once in dinosaurs or great historical figures are now passing through each of us as well.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member

Honestly? Not really. I'm more concerned with what I do with this life, rather than worry if I might be walking on who or what I was before.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Yes, I'm sure you'd get some sort of odd feeling ... maybe like meeting a person you know you've seen somewhere, but can't put it all together. Of course you wouldn't know it, just get some sort of strange feeling.

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
I'd never thought of it that way, but yeah, I suppose it's possible. It would fascinate me more than bother me.

What would be more interesting would be to meet living relatives of the person I used to be. I imagine the snark in me would'nt be able to stop itself from thinking, "Well, this explains a lot." =)

:camp:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
No, but I would love to know my past but there's probably a greater wisdom that doesn't allow this.
Maybe because some people would try to live through that person once more, so just continuing the same life. Progress cannot be made if you stick to what you know, after all. :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I'd never thought of it that way, but yeah, I suppose it's possible. It would fascinate me more than bother me.

What would be more interesting would be to meet living relatives of the person I used to be. I imagine the snark in me would'nt be able to stop itself from thinking, "Well, this explains a lot." =)

:camp:

According to my school, since souls tend to return to the same family, or friends, hang out in groups over several lifetimes, you probably already have. However, from the same POV, it's all quite irrelevant as this current one is where awareness is.

Amechania

Daimona of the Helpless
There's a cemetery up the road that has my name on one of the gravestones. Apparently I died in 1997. You'd think somebody would of said something.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Maybe because some people would try to live through that person once more, so just continuing the same life. Progress cannot be made if you stick to what you know, after all. :)

I think you are on to something there.

John Doe

Huh. That isn't disturbing. Consider this -

Every day you shed about 3 grams of dead skin cells. That's 21 grams per week - 2/3 of an ounce for those still living with the medieval empirical weight system. 84 grams in a month - a little under 3 ounces for you luddites :D.

So if you are a typical slacker (young and male :rolleyes:) who spends half the day in bed and the other half playing computer games and posting on forums, and you don't vacuum your house for a month, then there is over an ounce of dead skin in your bed (because of course you don't change your sheets), and another shipload in your carpet.

Does it ever cross your mind, walking through your house or apartment, that you are walking on and sleeping in the decomposing remains of the shell you once used? :sarcastic

zenzero

Its only a Label
John Doe,

What you posted above does make sense; however am 'I' that? meaning skin?
If the 'I' gets identified with that which 'CHANGES" then its true or if that "I" is that which is permanent then?

Love & rgds

John Doe

zenzero,

It was a humorous observation. We are like a snake which sheds its skin continuously. Part of a complicated self-mulching cloudgarden. My flaking detritus feeds billions of tiny lives, even when it ends up in landfill. All of nature is a heaving pumping self-making and unmaking recycling animal-mineral-vegetable-machine. Uncountable millions of eyes and countless mouths, fingers, stomachs, genitals, antennae, scales and probosci ! Countless beings pouring from the womb to the grave - a waterfall mass of sentient stuff, stuffed full of other microscopic living stuff, all stuffed full of coiling winding and unwinding molecular scripts for the boiling roil of oozing leaping flying and crawling living-thingness !

Ah, what was the question ? Is it "is there somebody, anybody, really ?"

The nail is not holding the jelly to the tree. :no:

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend John Doe,

Its simple.
If we know that everything in life is consciousness which is unseen and permanent then we are not anything that is seen and changes form starting with the skin.

Love & rgds