• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reincarnation vs Resurrection. Which is real?

What do you believe happens after death?

• Total voters

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I believe not everyone is directly in touch with His spirit or simply dismisses anything like that as a fantasy dream.

You'll have to show me a spirit (or soul) for me to believe in such - other than it being my personality, character, or whatever. Unless by His you mean some deity.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
As I understood it in the Upanishads when a person dies the spirit goes into the earth grows into a plant is eaten by animals and then eaten by men to be the reincarnation of a person. Since Cows aren't eaten those spirits are trapped evidently. I suppose I misunderstood it because it sounds too stupid to be a real belief.

Yeah... uh... no. Totally not like that at all. I think someone was pulling your leg. :D The spirit can reincarnate as a person or an animal. The spirit, soul, atman has existed from eternity and will exist to eternity... "Never was there a time when I did not exist, nor you, nor all these kings; nor in the future shall any of us cease to be". That's from the Bhagavad Gita (which is from my sect; not all Hindus follow the BG specifically, but most sects have similar philosophies). Some people think we can be reborn as plants and insects also, but I don't think that. Our spirits are non-different from God... same in quality but not quantity. But there are variations in belief. When all our karma debt is paid, and/or we obtain enlightenment, or by the special grace of God for some reason, we're released from the cycle of death and rebirth.