• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reincarnation among followers of Jesus

Karolina

Reincarnation among modern followers of Jesus (sorry, thread title got cut off and I can't fix it).

Please spare me the biblical lessons proving this is a heresy. I do not acknowledged such a concept among free thinkers. Thank you.

I know there were early Christians who believes in reincarnation who were silenced by the Orthodox thinkers over time. I know Jews both now and in the Christian Scriptures show a belief in reincarnation. (They wondered if John the Baptist was Elijah come back from the dead..) I've heard briefly that the LDS church may have some reincarnation beliefs.

Are there other modern day denominations (call them cults or sects if it helps you answer the question) where Jesus plays a prominent role and reincarnation is presented as a possibility?

Thanks!

PearlSeeker

My church doesn't accept it but I personally don't rule out this possibility. I don't know any sects. Maybe Christian gnostics...

leov

Reincarnation among modern followers of Jesus (sorry, thread title got cut off and I can't fix it).

Please spare me the biblical lessons proving this is a heresy. I do not acknowledged such a concept among free thinkers. Thank you.

I know there were early Christians who believes in reincarnation who were silenced by the Orthodox thinkers over time. I know Jews both now and in the Christian Scriptures show a belief in reincarnation. (They wondered if John the Baptist was Elijah come back from the dead..) I've heard briefly that the LDS church may have some reincarnation beliefs.

Are there other modern day denominations (call them cults or sects if it helps you answer the question) where Jesus plays a prominent role and reincarnation is presented as a possibility?

Thanks!
Reincarnation is logical but is not necessary. May be it happens selectively on as needed basis?

WhyIsThatSo

Thanks!
Reincarnation is true, and was taught as such in the early "church". But you must know that the early church was gnostic...…..gnostic Christians. Also, it (reincarnation) is a system of the Demiurge ( "god of this world" ) to keep souls here on this earth . So we need to understand what reincarnation is and what it means for us, as much as we can. And you are correct in that this teaching and others was "silenced" by Orthodoxy ( which is the false system of the Demiurge to lead us astray ).

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

Thanks!
From Paul's letters it appears that he believes all become one in Christ. This can be described as a form of reincarnation though not of the individual. For Paul and other canon writers the person, like a seed, dies; and produces a plant eternal -- not a mortal flower which will then have seeds and die and continue in a cycle. He doesn't talk about a cycle but of part of the person being destroyed and part preserved and gathered into Christ. The people continue to be physically mortal, have babies and die; but in some way their spiritual essence joins Christ. He also speaks of resurrection, and many believe that the individuals are resurrected as themselves. That I think is not at all any sort of reincarnation. The resurrection and eternal afterlife does not match with reincarnation; so you have to pick your Paul.

Some people think of reincarnation as having a spirit and past lives, and its a 'Shirley McLain' kind of reincarnation. That's not what it means to everyone. There are multiple things which people call reincarnation. Partly this is due to the vast changes in thoughts about psychology that have happened over the centuries. Some believe in reincarnation, but they believe it is the passing of ideas. Others believe that parts of a person are reincarnated rather than the whole. Some believe that all people are one person. There is a lot of variability in what someone means when they say 'Reincarnation'. To complicate matters, many people do not believe that its possible to accurately describe what we internally believe and therefore do not delineate what they mean when they say 'Reincarnation'.

There are channelers both who do and do not believe in reincarnation: Some magic practitioners believe that each person contains demons within themselves (which are like power sources of the personality), and they will attempt to speak with these through carefully achieved hypnotic trances in order to strengthen themselves. This is very similar to Shirley McLain's 'Channeling' but with a different result.

Some Japanese believe in a form of reincarnation in which the child is the ancestor's reincarnation. The child carries the honor of the ancestor, and the ancestor carries the honor of the child.

Jeremiah Ames

Thanks!
What would be the purpose?
One passage through this world is enough for me.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Edgar Cayce struggled with reincarnation

That web page has this reading:

“In the studies, then, know where ye are going ... to find that ye only lived, died and were buried under the cherry tree in Grandmother’s garden does not make thee one whit better neighbor, citizen, mother or father! But to know that ye spoke unkindly and suffered for it and in the present may correct it by being righteous – that is worthwhile!”

Edgar Cayce reading 5753-2

WhyIsThatSo

From Paul's letters it appears that he believes all become one in Christ. This can be described as a form of reincarnation though not of the individual. For Paul and other canon writers the person, like a seed, dies; and produces a plant eternal -- not a mortal flower which will then have seeds and die and continue in a cycle. He doesn't talk about a cycle but of part of the person being destroyed and part preserved and gathered into Christ. The people continue to be physically mortal, have babies and die; but in some way their spiritual essence joins Christ. He also speaks of resurrection, and many believe that the individuals are resurrected as themselves. That I think is not at all any sort of reincarnation. The resurrection and eternal afterlife does not match with reincarnation; so you have to pick your Paul.

Some people think of reincarnation as having a spirit and past lives, and its a 'Shirley McLain' kind of reincarnation. That's not what it means to everyone. There are multiple things which people call reincarnation. Partly this is due to the vast changes in thoughts about psychology that have happened over the centuries. Some believe in reincarnation, but they believe it is the passing of ideas. Others believe that parts of a person are reincarnated rather than the whole. Some believe that all people are one person. There is a lot of variability in what someone means when they say 'Reincarnation'. To complicate matters, many people do not believe that its possible to accurately describe what we internally believe and therefore do not delineate what they mean when they say 'Reincarnation'.

There are channelers both who do and do not believe in reincarnation: Some magic practitioners believe that each person contains demons within themselves (which are like power sources of the personality), and they will attempt to speak with these through carefully achieved hypnotic trances in order to strengthen themselves. This is very similar to Shirley McLain's 'Channeling' but with a different result.

Some Japanese believe in a form of reincarnation in which the child is the ancestor's reincarnation. The child carries the honor of the ancestor, and the ancestor carries the honor of the child.
Paul was a gnostic Christian, just as ALL the apostles were. He wrote a lot about reincarnation.....if you can "hear" (understand) the things he wrote. Of course Paul, like the others had to hide the true meanings (like Jesus) so that those not meant to hear would not. In this world of illusion the Truth is the most dangerous thing you can "know" (gnosis). So like Jesus and the other disciples, Paul was eventually murdered also.
What would be the purpose?
One passage through this world is enough for me.
The purpose is that of the "god of this world" in keeping souls here as a "food" (energy) source. The powers that be depend on negative energy (emotions) to maintain their "existence", to stay in power over this false realm (reality) of matter they created. Thus, this "world" of pain, misery, hardship, grief, suffering, etc......where every living thing MUST KILL another living thing, in order to stay "alive". Think about it !

WhyIsThatSo

Reincarnation is logical but is not necessary. May be it happens selectively on as needed basis?
If it (reincarnation) were not "necessary"......it would not be so. However you are correct in that it does not have to happen. The choice is ultimately ours.

leov

If it (reincarnation) were not "necessary"......it would not be so. However you are correct in that it does not have to happen. The choice is ultimately ours.
my, understanding that we here, in physical world, because of corrections , so, i see that correction was achieved in some cases and another cycle is not needed.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Paul was a gnostic Christian, just as ALL the apostles were.
That sounds like a strong opinion, but 'Gnostic' has a lot of different definitions. What kind of gnostic do you feel Paul is?

He wrote a lot about reincarnation.....if you can "hear" (understand) the things he wrote. Of course Paul, like the others had to hide the true meanings (like Jesus) so that those not meant to hear would not. In this world of illusion the Truth is the most dangerous thing you can "know" (gnosis). So like Jesus and the other disciples, Paul was eventually murdered also.
I am inclined to partially agree, however I would probably come up with a different and only partial version of gnosticism based on what Paul says alone and without other writers. I'd say that Paul, Jesus and John the Baptist all share some things in common with gnostics based upon evidences in the canon.

Did you ever read the book or see the film Jurassic Park? This fictional man grows cloned dinosaurs from DNA samples, except that sometimes when he can't get a complete dino-DNA sample he splices it with frog DNA. This creates unexpectedly clever and dangerous dinos. Similarly be careful not to make guesses about Paul based on ideas of Gnosticism from other sources. They could be like the frog DNA, and you may wind up with a completely different Paul-o-saurus. He might escape and wreck your park or even eat your gnosticism.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Edgar Cayce struggled with reincarnation

That web page has this reading:

“In the studies, then, know where ye are going ... to find that ye only lived, died and were buried under the cherry tree in Grandmother’s garden does not make thee one whit better neighbor, citizen, mother or father! But to know that ye spoke unkindly and suffered for it and in the present may correct it by being righteous – that is worthwhile!”

Edgar Cayce reading 5753-2
I know little of him. I've never read anything by him. What lessons do you derive from him?

WhyIsThatSo

That sounds like a strong opinion, but 'Gnostic' has a lot of different definitions. What kind of gnostic do you feel Paul is?

I am inclined to partially agree, however I would probably come up with a different and only partial version of gnosticism based on what Paul says alone and without other writers. I'd say that Paul, Jesus and John the Baptist all share some things in common with gnostics based upon evidences in the canon.

Did you ever read the book or see the film Jurassic Park? This fictional man grows cloned dinosaurs from DNA samples, except that sometimes when he can't get a complete dino-DNA sample he splices it with frog DNA. This creates unexpectedly clever and dangerous dinos. Similarly be careful not to make guesses about Paul based on ideas of Gnosticism from other sources. They could be like the frog DNA, and you may wind up with a completely different Paul-o-saurus. He might escape and wreck your park or even eat your gnosticism.
"guesses" ?....lol. Just one example of how Paul wrote to hide the Truth in plain sight. Romans 8:2...."For the Law (Truth) of the Spirit of Life (unconditional love) in Christ (Jesus) has set you free from the law of sin and death " ( KARMA and REINCARNATION ).

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
"guesses" ?....lol. Just one example of how Paul wrote to hide the Truth in plain sight. Romans 8:2...."For the Law (Truth) of the Spirit of Life (unconditional love) in Christ (Jesus) has set you free from the law of sin and death " ( KARMA and REINCARNATION ).
Suppose Gnostics were a parallel movement. How would you differentiate between Paul and other similar movements? How would you know whether this was or wasn't the case?

WhyIsThatSo

Another.....(Galatians 6:7), " Don't deceive yourself, God (the Demiurge) is not mocked. For whatever a man sows that shall he also reap (karma) " And this concept (karma) is based upon "LAW", that which "KILLS" (2 Corinthians 3:6)…..and "brings DEATH". Shall I go on ?

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Well, I guess to answer how I would "know" should be obvious (gnostics = the "knowers" ?)
That an interesting difference, because Paul usually argues points rather than claiming them as personal revelations. He may not be a gnostic like you are. I am not aware of the varieties of gnostic, but I do know there are different ones.

WhyIsThatSo

" For I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it, rather I received it by REVELATION from Jesus Christ " (Galatians 1:12)

Karolina

Are there modern day Gnostic Christian denominations? I'm aware of individuals, like here, but an actual brick and mortar church?

I know reincarnation is a valid position among Quakers, and some version of it among Mormons, and both can be said to follow Jesus more or less (depends who you ask). Any others?

Karolina

My thinking is that this life has the potential to be pretty great, if only everyone worked together for the common good. Over the millennia, we've certainly made some progress, but it'll probably be another few millennia before we eradicate the new problems created by previous solutions.

That said, I think reincarnation of individual personalities seems like a good way to recycle, if you will. Energy can neither be created not destroyed... The ins and outs of the exact details of any sort of afterlife can't really be fully known, and certainly not explained, and that's good enough for me. I'm comfortable knowing I'm an eternal being, and one way or another I'm returning to God, either permanently or as a way of retreat before embarking on the next journey on Earth.

I guess I want to keep it simple though, without all the added beliefs and rituals often found in organized religion. I know, I seem to be contradicting myself. Thanks for humoring me as I think out loud here ...