• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

reincarnation/afterlife without God?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
If there were no God (or Gods) could a system of reincarnation still be in effect?

Could there still be an afterlife?

Or do such things require the existence of a God (or Gods)?

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm pretty sure it's impossible to tell, so long as we're still alive, that is.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
If there were no God (or Gods) could a system of reincarnation still be in effect?

The mind dies but every single atom of your body will continue for infinity. The 1st law of thermodynamics tells us this. It means that although your mind is gone your body is recycled. Some may become grit or soil, some will become plants and trees, some will be used by animals to develop and grow,. Including humans... In this way we are all made from dead people. Is this reincarnation by science?

In the distant future when this world is no more your atoms will float in space, may help to become a new sun or planet or help create a new race of aliens.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I think so. It's not like the components and potential that created life are going anywhere.

If your born once, the odds are already at a definite yes.

There's no good reason it cant happen over and over.

Nimos

It could still be there, but even with Gods there might not be an afterlife, it depends which God(s) you consider to be true :) Also the afterlife, might be eternal suffering, again depends on the God(s).

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

I don't see why reincarnation or an afterlife would need a god.

OTOH, I also don't see how reincarnation or an afterlife could possibly be real.

Suave

Simulated character

Yes, there might very well be a path to eternal life as follows without there involving God's direct intervention 1. Brain to computer interface 2. Replacement of neurons with synthetic circuitry 3. Simulation construction 4. Permanent residency within the Matrix.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member

But what is the reality represented by the concept of reincarnation? What is God? What is Nirvana? What is Tao? These are concepts that could represent the same one underlying reality of all that is. So yes, reincarnation is a part of that reality, just another name for cause and effect, karma, etc..

RestlessSoul

Having tried life both with and without God, I’d say an afterlife without makes little appeal to me.

Meanwhile in this, the only life I know, I prefer to travel hand in hand with my creator, and let the future take care of itself.

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe demonic possession indicates it can be done without God but of course it would be dog eat dog for the best lives.

Muffled

Jesus in me
The mind dies but every single atom of your body will continue for infinity. The 1st law of thermodynamics tells us this. It means that although your mind is gone your body is recycled. Some may become grit or soil, some will become plants and trees, some will be used by animals to develop and grow,. Including humans... In this way we are all made from dead people. Is this reincarnation by science?

In the distant future when this world is no more your atoms will float in space, may help to become a new sun or planet or help create a new race of aliens.

Are you suggesting atoms have consciousness? That is an intriguing concept. It fits in with the concept of genetic memory.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)

They seem like separate belief systems to me. No obvious connection.

Martin

But what is the reality represented by the concept of reincarnation? What is God? What is Nirvana? What is Tao? These are concepts that could represent the same one underlying reality of all that is. So yes, reincarnation is a part of that reality, just another name for cause and effect, karma, etc..

What has cause and effect got to do with "God"? I'm not seeing it.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Are you suggesting atoms have consciousness? That is an intriguing concept. It fits in with the concept of genetic memory.

No, whatever gave you that idea?

My very first words were "The mind dies"

Martin

Cause and effect is change, in the religious context it is known as karma, and in the personal context, reaping what you sow.

I know. But what has that to do with God?
You seem to be mixing up random religious ideas in a sort of muddled new-age melange.