• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Regarding warnings and threats reported by intelligence agencies

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Sri Lanka bombings: New info emerges on scale of intelligence failure, and the suspects

I was reading this and other articles which detail the failure of Sri Lankan intel agencies in responding sooner to credible information that an attack was imminent and that lives could have been saved if they acted more quickly. Their intelligence agencies were considered "inept" and even "criminally negligent," according to officials quoted in the article.

But sometimes, I wonder how this actually works in practice. The article mentioned that India's intelligence agencies found out about the planned attack and warned Sri Lanka. But why wouldn't Sri Lanka heed the warnings?

I don't really envy the job of an intelligence agent. No doubt they have to sift through tons of reports and raw data - most of it probably irrelevant or bogus information. There have been countless instances of people passing off disinformation, calling in phony bomb threats, and so on. I imagine that it can be difficult.

However, I also wonder if the loud chorus of "They should have done something sooner!" might put even more pressure on government agencies to tighten the screws of security and surveillance even more than it has been.

The article also mentioned that Muslims in Sri Lanka are fearing a possible backlash in retaliation for the attacks. With violent crazies on both sides apparently hellbent on some kind of holy war, is there any way to stop this?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Sri Lanka bombings: New info emerges on scale of intelligence failure, and the suspects

I was reading this and other articles which detail the failure of Sri Lankan intel agencies in responding sooner to credible information that an attack was imminent and that lives could have been saved if they acted more quickly. Their intelligence agencies were considered "inept" and even "criminally negligent," according to officials quoted in the article.

But sometimes, I wonder how this actually works in practice. The article mentioned that India's intelligence agencies found out about the planned attack and warned Sri Lanka. But why wouldn't Sri Lanka heed the warnings?

I don't really envy the job of an intelligence agent. No doubt they have to sift through tons of reports and raw data - most of it probably irrelevant or bogus information. There have been countless instances of people passing off disinformation, calling in phony bomb threats, and so on. I imagine that it can be difficult.

However, I also wonder if the loud chorus of "They should have done something sooner!" might put even more pressure on government agencies to tighten the screws of security and surveillance even more than it has been.

The article also mentioned that Muslims in Sri Lanka are fearing a possible backlash in retaliation for the attacks. With violent crazies on both sides apparently hellbent on some kind of holy war, is there any way to stop this?

The Sri Lankan government currently has so much infighting that various departments don't communicate with each other. This makes a country vulnerable.