• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Regarding those who apologize after making some kind of public gaffe

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I started thinking about this when I saw this story in my newsfeed: ESPN's Sage Steele apologizes for controversial comments about Obama's racial identity and vaccine mandates (msn.com)

ESPN "SportsCenter" anchor Sage Steele has apologized after making controversial statements about vaccine mandates, female sports reporters and former President Barack Obama's racial identity.

This kind of scenario has become all too familiar in the media and political culture. Some person who may be in the public eye somewhat (although I had never heard of Sage Steele prior to this) says something that might be deemed offensive or otherwise non-PC. Then they get called out on it or removed from their job, and try to make some sort of apology for their remarks.

Steele has been removed from air following comments made during a September 29 podcast episode of "Uncut With Jay Cutler."

It's unclear what ESPN will do, even though she has already apologized for the remarks she made.

In a statement to CNN, Steele said: "I know my recent comments created controversy for the company, and I apologize. We are in the midst of an extremely challenging time that impacts all of us, and it's more critical than ever that we communicate constructively and thoughtfully."

The article also mentioned another incident involving an ESPN employee, who was also removed for making unfortunate public statements.

Steele's comments come just over a month after the network removed another well-known host, Rachel Nichols, from her coverage of the NBA and canceled her show "The Jump," after the New York Times reported in July comments that she made about another NBA analyst, Maria Taylor during a private conversation in 2020.

According to the Times' report, Nichols, who is White, said Taylor, who is Black, was chosen to lead NBA Finals coverage due to the company's diversity efforts.

Nichols later apologized on air.

I will admit there are things I've said to people which I've later come to regret, and I've apologized in such instances.

On the other hand, sometimes I wonder about the sincerity of public figures who apologize for things they said. Does anyone actually believe them or think that they're sincere?

Did they say things that were so bad that they actually needed to apologize, or is there a tendency for some people to overreact to relatively innocuous statements?

I know the usual response might be "Free speech has consequences," and if one makes statements deemed challengeable or offensive, then one might lose one's livelihood or face other serious consequences (short of being locked up by the government). But does sticking one's foot in one's mouth once or twice really make one completely irredeemable and unsalvageable for the rest of their lives? Is that how some people see it?

Does anyone see any potential consequences in this, in that it may backfire and cause society to become even more regressive? When a company like ESPN fires someone for violating some code of political correctness, there's no shortage of criticism for what they do. More importantly, does it really have the desired effect? Has such a strategy actually worked, on a practical level, to achieve a more balanced and racially harmonious society?

In other words, have we achieved greater progress with political correctness (since the 1980s), then what was achieved during the 1960s and 70s without political correctness? Is PC more of an asset or a liability to the social justice movement?

Altfish

Veteran Member
I think the sentence you said about ... "...sometimes I wonder about the sincerity of public figures who apologize for things they said." , is the crux. - if they are about to lose a big dollar job and advertisers are abandoning them why wouldn't they apologise.

But sometimes you have misunderstood a situation and you spoke in haste, so a sincere apology is fine.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I wonder about the sincerity of public figures who apologize for things they said. Does anyone actually believe them or think that they're sincere?

As do I.

A real apology to me needs to be followed up by action. Saying "I'm sorry." is all too easy. Following an apology with concrete action makes the apology a lot more believable.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I started thinking about this when I saw this story in my newsfeed: ESPN's Sage Steele apologizes for controversial comments about Obama's racial identity and vaccine mandates (msn.com)

This kind of scenario has become all too familiar in the media and political culture. Some person who may be in the public eye somewhat (although I had never heard of Sage Steele prior to this) says something that might be deemed offensive or otherwise non-PC. Then they get called out on it or removed from their job, and try to make some sort of apology for their remarks.

It's unclear what ESPN will do, even though she has already apologized for the remarks she made.

The article also mentioned another incident involving an ESPN employee, who was also removed for making unfortunate public statements.

I will admit there are things I've said to people which I've later come to regret, and I've apologized in such instances.

On the other hand, sometimes I wonder about the sincerity of public figures who apologize for things they said. Does anyone actually believe them or think that they're sincere?

Did they say things that were so bad that they actually needed to apologize, or is there a tendency for some people to overreact to relatively innocuous statements?

I know the usual response might be "Free speech has consequences," and if one makes statements deemed challengeable or offensive, then one might lose one's livelihood or face other serious consequences (short of being locked up by the government). But does sticking one's foot in one's mouth once or twice really make one completely irredeemable and unsalvageable for the rest of their lives? Is that how some people see it?

Does anyone see any potential consequences in this, in that it may backfire and cause society to become even more regressive? When a company like ESPN fires someone for violating some code of political correctness, there's no shortage of criticism for what they do. More importantly, does it really have the desired effect? Has such a strategy actually worked, on a practical level, to achieve a more balanced and racially harmonious society?

In other words, have we achieved greater progress with political correctness (since the 1980s), then what was achieved during the 1960s and 70s without political correctness? Is PC more of an asset or a liability to the social justice movement?

When I apologize it is usually for the benefit of others, so they can get over whatever sin they felt I trespassed. Not that I feel guilty.

These folks are apologizing for their own benefit. So they don't have to deal with the politically correct fallout.

I wonder how often any apology is sincere.

I have family who gets mad at me because they see my apology is not sincere.
What am I supposed to do? Get better at faking it. :shrug:

I suspect most apologies are not an admission of guilt. Just a moral obligation society places on you.

Orbit

I'm a planet
I once read an article about how justice in France was more about performance than substance. I think the same holds for these apology situations. They are public dramas where we are performing the values that society likes to see in itself.