• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Regarding Bhavishya Purana

anupj

Mystic
Hello Friends,

can anybody tell me what exactly is written about Prophet Muhammad in the Bhavishya Purana. recently i came accross two different translations about prophet muhammad from the bhavishya purana. one translation was given by some muslims like Zakir Naik etc and other was maybe from some sanskrit scholars and both of them gave translation opposite to each other.

so my friends i am confused about this thing and want to know what the real thing is. and would be happy if anybody of you could help me in this matter

thank you
anup

kakala

I have been following this for quite some time. The Sanskrit text of Bhavishya Purana is confusing. What Zakir Naik said also seems to be true. For eg: I will quote english transliterion:

"ettismantere maleccha acharya saminvatah"

- In the mean time there came a maleccha acharya.

maleccha is not always used in bad sense. That is evident from other parts of bhavishya purana Pratisarga Parva, Chaturyuga Khanda Dvitiyadhyayah, 19th Chapter, Texts 17 to 32 where macleccha dharma is said to be rightoeus and truth. So the intepretation of Zakir naik as foriegner seems to be correct. Also the the word acharya was used for a great teacher in the ancient times.

"mahamad iti khayatah sihshaysakhasaminvatah"

- Mahamad is he famous(khayatah) as , came along with disciples and companions (shishya and sakha)

"nripasharav mahadevanam marusthala nivasinam"

now from here confusion starts. Majority of the translation give it as the raja bhoja worshipped Shiva dwelling in desert. This might be due to the fact that mahadev in traditional sense is used for Shiva. However if just go by exact word to word translation it should be

- O Lord, mahadev dwelling in the desert.

Some hindu scholars say the king said this to Shiva, but i doubt this is correct. They also translate above lines as - Then the king went along with Mahamada (Muhammad), the preceptor of mleccha-dharma, and his followers to the great god, Lord Shiva, situated in the desert. But this not correct, easily visible, if some one can understand sankrit. Also the whole story becomes incoherent if we take that translation. Why the king should go "along" with mahamad to Shiva in desert ?! ( also shiva resides in kailash paravat we all know according to traditional hindu traditions, which is cold with snow exactly opp to desert ;) !!!! )

"gangajalasharav snanapya panchagvayasaminvatah
chandanabhirabhyacharya tushtav mansa haram"

- gave bath in ganga jal and panchagavya and offered chandan and other things said I pay reverence to thee.

"bhojaraja uvach -- namaste girijanath marustahl nivasine tripurasur bhaumaya parvartine"
-Bojraj said - Namaste girijanath dwelling in desert and destroyer of tripurasur and his great maya.

And so on and so forth. Its too big ;) . What is complex that Zakir Naik leaves out translation of few verses in between (16-18). Almost all the translation I found, the appeared to leaving out something or introducing something which is not there. Vedic sanskrit is difficult to translate and we don't find the scholar community keen to translate these old books.

kakala

What we need to understand that the words of ancient sanskrit and notions associated with them is lost. For eg:

malechcha - usually used for wicked person but if we see in context of other vedic literature it also comes as foreigner or non-aryan.

Dev, mahadev and Ishwar -

All the three has now become synonymous with god. But if we see ancient literature they were also used a great man, a great teacher, a great rishi. So again here is confusion. If we read veda we find whenever its mentioned about one supreme being its not deva or mahadeva, but its either ishwara or brahmam etc. However great persons or other heavenly bodies (surya dev) or natural things (agni, vayu etc. ) is mentioned as deva sometimes. So what was the real concotion of deva is dubious.

Gangajal - Can be translated as holy and pure water and no scholar can tel it as wrong. Not necessarily river ganga.

And so on and so forth ............

Arunav

Adding a little more to Kakala's post

"nripasharav mahadevanam marusthala nivasinam"

In hinduism mahadeva is also worshipped in form of a black stone called shiva linga (linga-asweta in sanskrit).
so the translation can be nripashrav (offering respect) madevanam marusthala nivasinam - mahadev (may be in form of the black stone - Al hajr Aswad) dwelling in the desert.
To which he offered [ganga jal] - water from the river ganga, which can actually be the water from zamzam (note: phonetic similarity between ganga and zamzam)

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I think if one is familiar with the older scriptures and then go through the Bhavishya Purana, it is evident that the Bhavishya has been highly tampered with. I don't take any part of it seriously.

As per Bhavishya Puran:

Shri Suta Gosvami said: In the dynasty of king Shalivahana, there were ten kings who went to the heavenly planets after ruling for over 500 years. Then gradually the morality declined on the earth. At that time Bhojaraja was the tenth of the kings on the earth. When he saw that the moral law of conduct was declining he went to conquer all the directions of his country with ten-thousand soldiers commanded by Kalidasa. He crossed the river Sindhu and conquered over the gandharas, mlecchas, shakas, kasmiris, naravas and sathas. He punished them and collected a large ammount of wealth. Then the king went along with Mahamada (Muhammad), the preceptor of mleccha-dharma, and his followers to the great god, Lord Shiva, situated in the desert. He bathed Lord Shiva with Ganges water and worshipped him in his mind with pancagavya (milk, ghee, yoghurt, cow dung, and cow urine) and sandalwood paste, etc. After he offered some prayers and pleased him.

Suta Goswami said: After hearing the king’s prayers, Lord Shiva said: O king Bhojaraja, you should go to the place called Mahakakshvara, that land is called Vahika and now is being contaminated by the mlecchas. In that terrible country there no longer exists dharma. There was a mystic demon named Tripura (Tripurasura), whom I have already burnt to ashes, he has come again by the order of Bali. He has no origin but he achieved a benediction from me. His name is Mahamada (Muhammad) and his deeds are like that of a ghost. Therefore, O king, you should not go to this land of the evil ghost. By my mercy your intelligence will be purified. Hearing this the king came back to his country and Mahamada (Muhammad) came with them to the bank of the river Sindhu. He was expert in expanding illusion, so he said to the king very pleasingly: O great king, your god has become my servant. Just see, as he eats my remnants, so I will show you. The king became surprised when he saw this just before them. Then in anger Kalidasa rebuked Mahamada (Muhammad) “O rascal, you have created an illusion to bewilder the king, I will kill you, you are the lowest..."

That city is known as their site of pilgrimage, a place which was Madina or free from intoxication. Having a form of a ghost (Bhuta), the expert illusionist Mahamada (Muhammad) appeared at night in front of king Bhojaraja and said: O king, your religion is of course known as the best religion among all. Still I am going to establish a terrible and demoniac religion by the order of the Lord . The symptoms of my followers will be that they first of all will cut their genitals, have no shikha, but having beard, be wicked, make noise loudly and eat everything. They should eat animals without performing any rituals. This is my opinion. They will perform purificatory act with the musala or a pestle as you purify your things with kusha. Therefore, they will be known as musalman, the corrupters of religion. Thus the demoniac religion will be founded by me. After having heard all this the king came back to his palace and that ghost (Muhammad) went back to his place.

The intelligent king, Bhojaraj established the language of Sanskrit in three varnas - the brahmanas, kshatriyas and vaisyas - and for the shudras he established prakrita-bhasha, the ordinary language spoken by common men. After ruling his kingdom for 50 years, he went to the heavenly planet. The moral laws established by him were honored even by the demigods. The arya-varta, the pious land is situated between Vindhyacala and Himacala or the mountains known as Vindhya and Himalaya. The Aryans reside there, but varna-sankaras reside on the lower part of Vindhya. The musalman people were kept on the other side of the river Sindhu.
On the island of Barbara, Tusha and many others also the followers of Isamsiha were also situated as they were managed by a king or demigods.

Last edited:

Satyamavejayanti

As per Bhavishya Puran:

Shri Suta Gosvami said: In the dynasty of king Shalivahana, there were ten kings who went to the heavenly planets after ruling for over 500 years. Then gradually the morality declined on the earth. At that time Bhojaraja was the tenth of the kings on the earth. When he saw that the moral law of conduct was declining he went to conquer all the directions of his country with ten-thousand soldiers commanded by Kalidasa. He crossed the river Sindhu and conquered over the gandharas, mlecchas, shakas, kasmiris, naravas and sathas. He punished them and collected a large ammount of wealth. Then the king went along with Mahamada (Muhammad), the preceptor of mleccha-dharma, and his followers to the great god, Lord Shiva, situated in the desert. He bathed Lord Shiva with Ganges water and worshipped him in his mind with pancagavya (milk, ghee, yoghurt, cow dung, and cow urine) and sandalwood paste, etc. After he offered some prayers and pleased him.

Suta Goswami said: After hearing the king’s prayers, Lord Shiva said: O king Bhojaraja, you should go to the place called Mahakakshvara, that land is called Vahika and now is being contaminated by the mlecchas. In that terrible country there no longer exists dharma. There was a mystic demon named Tripura (Tripurasura), whom I have already burnt to ashes, he has come again by the order of Bali. He has no origin but he achieved a benediction from me. His name is Mahamada (Muhammad) and his deeds are like that of a ghost. Therefore, O king, you should not go to this land of the evil ghost. By my mercy your intelligence will be purified. Hearing this the king came back to his country and Mahamada (Muhammad) came with them to the bank of the river Sindhu. He was expert in expanding illusion, so he said to the king very pleasingly: O great king, your god has become my servant. Just see, as he eats my remnants, so I will show you. The king became surprised when he saw this just before them. Then in anger Kalidasa rebuked Mahamada (Muhammad) “O rascal, you have created an illusion to bewilder the king, I will kill you, you are the lowest..."

That city is known as their site of pilgrimage, a place which was Madina or free from intoxication. Having a form of a ghost (Bhuta), the expert illusionist Mahamada (Muhammad) appeared at night in front of king Bhojaraja and said: O king, your religion is of course known as the best religion among all. Still I am going to establish a terrible and demoniac religion by the order of the Lord . The symptoms of my followers will be that they first of all will cut their genitals, have no shikha, but having beard, be wicked, make noise loudly and eat everything. They should eat animals without performing any rituals. This is my opinion. They will perform purificatory act with the musala or a pestle as you purify your things with kusha. Therefore, they will be known as musalman, the corrupters of religion. Thus the demoniac religion will be founded by me. After having heard all this the king came back to his palace and that ghost (Muhammad) went back to his place.

The intelligent king, Bhojaraj established the language of Sanskrit in three varnas - the brahmanas, kshatriyas and vaisyas - and for the shudras he established prakrita-bhasha, the ordinary language spoken by common men. After ruling his kingdom for 50 years, he went to the heavenly planet. The moral laws established by him were honored even by the demigods. The arya-varta, the pious land is situated between Vindhyacala and Himacala or the mountains known as Vindhya and Himalaya. The Aryans reside there, but varna-sankaras reside on the lower part of Vindhya. The musalman people were kept on the other side of the river Sindhu.
On the island of Barbara, Tusha and many others also the followers of Isamsiha were also situated as they were managed by a king or demigods.

the above is the version ive read, but i think that the Bhavisya Purana is not trustworthy, it is said to have stories of the British Raj as well as queen Elizabeth, not sure where i read this.

I did not even know that there was such a thing as Bhavisya Purana till i heard it one of Joker (Zakir) Naik videos.

I am not aware if it is a big part of common (average) Hindu lifestyle or not.

Anyway why aren't the Muslims/Christians recognising the Puran as authoritative if their Prophet/God is mentioned in it?

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend arpan,

Welcome to RF!
Best Wishes.
Thank you for reviving an old post in this section to start with.
More as we go along!

Love & rgds

Hi friend,

Bhavishya Puran is trust worthy. please see in Sanskrit language and translate, there are many things that we don't know but have happened and there are many things that we don't know but will happen.

What was written in Bhavishya Puran thousand and thousand years ago that came true, it also matches of what we know about history, but we don't know many things, it does not mean that Bhavishya Puran isn't trustworthy. So my friend keep the hope and keep believing in god.

yada yada hi dharmasya, glanir bhavati bharata
abhyutthanam adharmasya, tadatmanam srjamy aham
paritranaya sadhunam, vinasaya ca duskritam
dharma-samsthapanarthaya, sambhavami yuge yuge

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend arpan,

Whatever be it, true or false; do understand that consciousness pervades everything in existence, so do help translate the Bhavishya Puran for us dumb, idiots who do not know or understand much of our own ancient language SANSKRIT, PALI, MAGHADI etc.

So, request that you start with a stanza a day with commentary. This way am sure all interested individuals will know what was written thousands of years ago about thousands of years on even from here.

Love & rgds

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi friend,

Bhavishya Puran is trust worthy. please see in Sanskrit language and translate, there are many things that we don't know but have happened and there are many things that we don't know but will happen.

What was written in Bhavishya Puran thousand and thousand years ago that came true, it also matches of what we know about history, but we don't know many things, it does not mean that Bhavishya Puran isn't trustworthy. So my friend keep the hope and keep believing in god.

I am sorry but I think many of the details in this Purana contradict with other scriptures. It also verifies aspects of Abrahamic religions that contradict basic Vedic philosophy and I fully believe that it has been manipulated over time either by members of Abrahamic religions or Hindus wishing to seem superior to those religions.

I just don't see how it can be taken seriously.

My brother/sister, the reason may be like what you know is incomplete truth or not translated accurately or not necessary in one epic everything is given about the subject. So expand your aspect, study by heart and understand the truth.

OM Namah Shivaya.

Last edited:
Hello brother, The text may be little bit altered, but not fully. If you study it, you will find how different religion came like Christians, Buddhism, Islam and how different kings of India were there and this also matches what is in the history books.

Last edited:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Does anyone know where you can read this Purana online?
I read parts of it from a site a couple of years ago but can no longer find it.

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
Hello brother, The text may be little bit altered, but not fully. If you study it, you will find how different religion came like Christians, Buddhism, Islam and how different kings of India were there and this also matches what is in the history books.
Isn't it against the theory of Karma?? However Mahabharata describes that many religions will come in existence during kaliyuga but I think this purana is composed during early 19 century.
Does anyone know where you can read this Purana online?
I read parts of it from a site a couple of years ago but can no longer find it.
I earlier had Hindi and English ebook of this purana but english version contained selected verses, I will search If I can still find it.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Namaste,

First, let us differentiate certain texts from one another to see their validity as per Hindu law. The Bhavishya Purāna is a Smriti text, since it is a Purāna. Thus, it is not one of the four Holy Shrī Vedas which are Shruti. For the Bhavishya Purāna to be valid as per Hindu laws, it's contents must be in guidelines with the four Holy Shrī Shruti Vedas. In the four Shrī Shruti Vedas, Islam's Prophet and Christianity's Christ are not to be found anywhere.

Thus, as per Hindu law, the Bhavishya Purāna is not an authoritative text and must not be taken seriously. In fact, it must be taken as a joke due to its history:

The Bhavishya Purana, according to scholars and historians, was a writing project that lasted for many centuries, from about 300-200BCE all the way till the 1800sAD. This shows us two things: it has been a text that has never had an individual body due to collective gatherings through alterations by insider as well as outsider forces and it has gone through tremendous outsider and insider redactions.

Also, please visit the following links to understand the fraudulent nature of the Bhavishya Purāna (if it even can be called a Purāna; I theologically disagree, thus: it can't be called a Purāna because of its mentioning of non-Indic, non-Aryanic personas which would have greatly upset our Hindu forefathers known as the Sapta Rishis, the seers of the Holy Shrī Shruti Vedas):

(Please click the following --->)Bhavishya Purana : The Prediction of Islam And Muhammad

(Please click the following --->)Jesus Predicted in the Vedic Literature

Both of these analyses prove two things:

1. The "prophesied" account of Islam's prophet in this Purāna was pretty negative, so I don't know why Muslims use this Purāna to persuade Hindus to convert to Islam; this Purāna pretty much says Islam's prophet is a bad man.

2. The verses about Jesus have obviously been written by British (Colonial) Missionaries and Christian Indologists and Philologists in order to convert innocent Hindus into the Abrahamic fold. Which is something I truly don't understand; they attempted to do the same thing with the Africans (at least in which they succeeded) as if they were doing "God's Work", but where did that get them? They converted them and then had them work as slaves.

Anyways, please read the following from William Jones (I refuse to call him 'Sir'), a Philologist:

“As to the general extension [spreading] of our pure faith [Christianity] in Hindoostan [India] there are at present many sad obstacles to it... We may assure ourselves, that Hindoos will never be converted by any mission from the church of Rome, or from any other church; and the only human mode, perhaps, of causing so great a revolution, will be to translate into Sanscrit... such chapters of the Prophets, particularly of ISAIAH, as are indisputably evangelical, together with one of the gospels, and a plain prefatory discourse, containing full evidence of the very distant ages, in which the predictions themselves, and the history of the Divine Person (Jesus) is predicted, were severally made public and then quietly to disperse the work among the well-educated natives.” (Asiatic Researches Vol. 1. Published 1979, pages 234-235. First published 1788)

So, Hindus from all backgrounds, please acquaint yourselves with this controversial Purāna and all other things connected with it in order to battle proselytization by the Abrahamics. Furthermore, please be aware that, especially the Christians (Please click the following --->A Christian tries to convert me using false Hindu Scriptures | Western Hindu), will use random Sanskrit verses as well as make up their own in order to persuade Hindus to convert. Sometimes they will "cite" "verses", and as soon as they do that, please look up the citation: most of the times you will notice the verses don't even exist nor are they translated correctly or in the context of what the Abrahamic proselytizers are purporting.

So, please be aware!

Regards,
M.V.

जय श्री कृष्ण

Last edited: