• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reform view of converts who leave Judaism

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Hello.

Lately I've been interested in the subject of conversion processes in the Reform and Conservative movements.

In Orthodoxy, when a convert decides to stop keeping Judaism/convert to a different faith or stop keeping part of Judaism, their status as converts is determined on a case-by-case basis by the rabbinate. In some cases, the conversion is revoked, while in others, it's not.

I was wondering what the case is by Reform Judaism: Is there a sweeping consensus on the matter or is it also case-by-case?

I found this article that refers to matter. However, I found the rabbi's answer to be ambiguous and open to interpretation:

"If a Jew leaves Judaism by adopting another religion, that individual is regarded as outside the boundaries of the Jewish community," says Rabbi Stephen Einstein, co-chair of the Commission on Outreach, Membership, and Sacred Community of the Union for Reform Judaism and Central Conference of American Rabbis. "Of course, s/he could choose at a later time to return."
a. Does being "outside the boundaries of the Jewish community" mean being not Jewish or merely being a heretical Jew?

b. "Choos[ing] to return" - does that mean through doing teshuvah or by converting once more? And if the latter, can this be done an endless number of times or is there a limit?

Perhaps someone could clarify?

Thanks.