• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Referendum 71 - Washington State

madhatter85

Transhumanist
This is not to debate the approval or rejection of this ballot so if you want a fight about that go somewhere else.

Local News | Justice Kennedy blocks release of R-71 names | Seattle Times Newspaper

This is to bring to light the double standard where gay-rights activists are fighting to remain anonymous when supporting Referendum 71. This is in contrast to the Proposition 8 stance where those who donated money to the campaign were not allowed to remain anonymous.

Not that i even want to know who signed or care to explore it. But i think it's fair to assume that gay-rights groups are being hypocritical when trying to block the release of names.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Gay rights supporters and open-government groups sought to disclose the names,
It seems that it is the homosexual marriage supporters who wish to have the names disclosed...

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Local News | Justice Kennedy blocks release of R-71 names | Seattle Times Newspaper

This is to bring to light the double standard where gay-rights activists are fighting to remain anonymous when supporting Referendum 71.

But i think it's fair to assume that gay-rights groups are being hypocritical when trying to block the release of names.

You got your story wrong.

Gay rights supporters and open-government groups sought to disclose the names, saying that signers should be identified so the public knows who is behind Referendum 71.

Protect Marriage Washington argued that state officials had suddenly changed a long-standing practice of keeping confidential the identities of those who signed referendum petitions. The group said signers of the petition fear hostile confrontations from gay rights supporters and noted that their campaign manager had received death threats
:foot: