• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Redesign the US

How would you redesign

• I'm a jerk who wants everyone to agree with me. So the current system stays.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Actually expand the current system so the entire country is lockstep

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Make regions like CHAZ everywhere.

• No autonomous zones. But the entire country ought to be split West/East (East keeps Texas)

• No autonomous zones. But the entire country ought to be split North/South (North keeps California)

• California, Oregon, and Washington are actually turned into one big liberal island

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Have a civil war. Whoever wins gets control of the country (Sigh...)

• Make two presidents and two governors, then separate by district and state who rules

• Total voters

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
After all, if you call somebody a "racist", then that makes you just as much of a racist as the person you called "racist".

No, The accusation alone is not necessarily true an accusation, but nonetheless those accusations based on the evidence of racism makes the accusation valid.

ie 'Trump is a racist,' is based objective verifiable accusation based on his own words and deeds.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
It's like this.

Far beyond a North/South conflict, in some states like Virginia, they don't even get along from district to district.

I live in Heathsville, and our town is directly on an electoral district line. Eastern Heathsville (pfft, look at me, acting like it's Germany or something) has a fairly Democratic population, whereas my part of Heathsville is conservative.

The thing is, winner-take-all system means that if a state has plenty of conservative districts but a huge enough city population, they basically get cities telling the rest of the state how to live their lives. This doesn't work! City people know next to nothing about living in the country, and in places like Texas, small segments of the state really hate living under conservative rules (hmmm, but not badly enough to leave).

This also means that when NoVA has like 1000 cases of Coronavirus (I haven't checked the figures anymore) yet rural Virginia in many counties has less than 9 cases, the entire state is under quarantine for months upon months while cities seem to have no empathy about the isolation and poverty the small towns are subjected to, and small towns can't relate to people coming down with a disease when everyone around them seems well. Again, this doesn't work!

======================================================

So let's say you've got a bunch of government people together in a room, and Donald Trump has said, "Okay guys, we're gonna have a consensus. Nobody is leaving until we come up with a new system for getting the country to get along." Of course, everyone now hates him, but they stay and argue it out. So they come up with several ideas:
  1. The biggest control freaks want to retain the current system of winner-take-all.
  2. Even worse ones want the entire country to be united, so if a liberal president runs, the entire country is the same. In this way, the country is united, but many people who are outvoted are likely miserable.
  3. Other people want disorganized zones like CHAZ around the country. There's no way this would destabilize the country and make it easier for China or Saudi Arabia to take it over...
  4. Still others want to divide the country half (either horizontally or vertically), making a border line, complete with passports. The government is united under one president and major laws are the same, but the two lands are somewhat sovereign.
  5. Still others want California, Oregon, and Washington to be split physically into an island away from the US. It's a smaller area than half the country, but in return it is completely sovereign, and anyone who wants to move gets free passage there on the condition they don't come back.
  6. Still others want to just fight it out for control of the nation.
  7. The last group just wants to do away with winner-take-all and have the top candidates for Republican and Democrat run each state as governor (and the same for President). This means Hillary runs states she won, and Trump wins states he won (but Bernie gets no states, even though he won some because he wasn't a top candidate). Likewise, West Heathsville is run by Ed Gillespie while Easter Heathsville is run by Northam. People who want to move are given enough money to relocate their house.
And they basically can't decide. So they put it to a public vote. How would you vote?

I believe you seem to misunderstand the concept of the nature of the spread of zoonotic viruses. They do not respect boundaries. The areas of present low infection rates need protective measures possibly more than those with high infection rates. The current explosion of infection rates in the South and West where previously experienced low infection rates, and these states did not implement measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19 into primarily conservative states

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
No, The accusation alone is not necessarily true an accusation, but nonetheless those accusations based on the evidence of racism makes the accusation valid.

ie 'Trump is a racist,' is based objective verifiable accusation based on his own words and deeds.
Heres a good philosophical question...

Can you be bigoted toward bigots?

Tambourine

Elaborate.
It is politically correct to call somebody racist, therefore it's wrong and

It is a common tactic among conservatives from the center all the way to the extreme right-wing of the spectrum to pre-emptively turn accusations against any would-be accuser.

That's why we are so frequently seeing charges that progressive liberals are "racist", that antifascists are "fascist", or that radical leftists are "antisemites".

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
It is politically correct to call somebody racist, therefore it's wrong and

The definition of the words racism and racist has nothing to do with being 'political correct. How it is unfortunately used by some is another story, but racism is racism, nothing less and nothing more.

Tambourine

The definition of the words racism and racist has nothing to do with being 'political correct. How it is unfortunately used by some is another story, but racism is racism, nothing less and nothing more.
You would think so, but the act of calling a racist deed "racist" seems to be considered a much greater offense than actually doing racist things, in many instances.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
You would think so, but the act of calling a racist deed "racist" seems to be considered a much greater offense than actually doing racist things, in many instances.

"Seems to be . . . " is not a coherent argument, unless you are an apologist for racism.

Tambourine

"Seems to be . . . " is not a coherent argument, unless you are an apologist for racism.
I was using the word "seems to be" as an indicator that I am talking about my personal observations, not a moral principle or objective fact. I've yet to see an individual getting cheered for pointing out racist actions.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I was using the word "seems to be" as an indicator that I am talking about my personal observations, not a moral principle or objective fact. I've yet to see an individual getting cheered for pointing out racist actions.

The 'calling out' racism as racism is not for 'getting cheered.' Silence on racism kills.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

I thought a point is appropriate now that Trump confirmed his racist beliefs in his tweets for "White Power."

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
Here's what a far more centered and normal president said.

Abraham Lincoln's Lyceum Address

"...whenever the vicious portion of population shall be permitted to gather in bands of hundreds and thousands, and burn churches, ravage and rob provision-stores, throw printing presses into rivers, shoot editors, and hang and burn obnoxious persons at pleasure, and with impunity; depend on it, this Government cannot last."

BLM has not in fact done "peaceful protests."

Ferguson-protests111111.jpg

These are the streets burned up by them.
GettyImages-630729260-700x420.jpg

These are the black lives that didn't matter to Black Lives Matter.
columbus-statue-black-lives-matter-by-northendwaterfront-1280x1383.jpeg

These are the statues whose lives didn't matter because they weren't black enough.

Oh yes, and remember that quote mentioned destroying churches? Well, we gotcha covered.

BLM Leader Calls to Destroy Churches

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
OK quote, but out of context today. What is neglected the hundreds of years of slavery, oppression, ethnic cleansing, injustice from law enforcement and the Courts, and the degradation of herding of blacks in ghettos. This is only a partial list..