• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Redefining the term "Messianic Judaism"

Shermana

Heretic
As has been discussed in other threads, the term basically implies "Jews for Jesus" and those who don't actually believe the Law is binding but follow it for cultural reasons, or who accept Paul's authority, and is basically 90% evangelicism with some Jewish flavoring.

What shall we call ourselves? I like "Old Israelite Nazarene". Should we try to reclaim the word? It's so hard to explain to others what I believe without running into the need for Semantic explanations.

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
Of course, I've opted for "Ebionite" as a way to differentiate myself from the J4J type MJ.

While "Ebionite" has it's own issues, as there's not a clear record of exactly what they believed, it's the best choice of a bad selection of labels. At least for me.

Yes, there are some rather odd web sites of those who claim the Ebionite label, but there never was just one group of Ebionites, anyways.

As for "Nazerene", there is the possibility of confusion with being a Nazir: Nazirite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Which is whole different issue.

roberto

As has been discussed in other threads, the term basically implies "Jews for Jesus" and those who don't actually believe the Law is binding but follow it for cultural reasons, or who accept Paul's authority, and is basically 90% evangelicism with some Jewish flavoring.

What shall we call ourselves? I like "Old Israelite Nazarene". Should we try to reclaim the word? It's so hard to explain to others what I believe without running into the need for Semantic explanations.
Grafting or graftage is a horticultural technique whereby tissues from one plant are inserted into those of another so that the two sets of vascular tissues may join together. This vascular joining is called inosculation. The technique is most commonly used in asexual propagation of commercially grown plants for the horticultural and agricultural trades.
In most cases, one plant is selected for its roots and this is called the stock or rootstock. The other plant is selected for its stems, leaves, flowers, or fruits and is called the scion or cion. The scion contains the desired genes to be duplicated in future production by the stock/scion plant.
Grafting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A scion perhaps ?

I use the term "Ebionite" myself. I used to call myself a Nazarene, but then a Christian denomination took that name. But I agree with Zardoz; Ebionite is probably the best choice.

As to the scion, that seems reminiscent of Paul's imagery, and implies that Jews are not Elohim's chosen anymore.

BlandOatmeal

Grafting or graftage is a horticultural technique whereby tissues from one plant are inserted into those of another so that the two sets of vascular tissues may join together. This vascular joining is called inosculation. The technique is most commonly used in asexual propagation of commercially grown plants for the horticultural and agricultural trades.
In most cases, one plant is selected for its roots and this is called the stock or rootstock. The other plant is selected for its stems, leaves, flowers, or fruits and is called the scion or cion. The scion contains the desired genes to be duplicated in future production by the stock/scion plant.
Grafting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A scion perhaps ?
"Scions of Zion" then? (Just joking)

LionofJuda

Messianic Judaism at least for me is a good term for those who believe in Messiah Yeshua but remains faithful in following the Torah of Adonai. However it seems that Messianic groups nowadays are not united with respect to some important Doctrines. One of which is the Godhead. Most Messianic Groups claim that there are 3 in 1 God while some or few maintain Monotheists meaning there is only one God and that is HaShem. This minority group do not accept or believe that the Savior Yeshua is also God. Yes He is the Messiah but not God. He is the Mediator between God and Man and He is Man not God (1 Tim. 2:5)