• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Red State: McConnell Appears To Be Choosing the Senate Over Trump

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
One of the advantages of having a broad range of sources is that pieces I might miss because of source selection present themselves to me. Here's a classic example from a conservative source, Red State. To say that I disagree with their politics is to put it mildly. But when they're correct, they're correct. I think the piece is accurate:

McConnell Appears To Be Choosing the Senate Over Trump

Yesterday’s testimony in Congress showed signs that Trump could very well be in trouble in the impeachment inquiry.

Ukraine ambassador Bill Taylor apparently testified that the aid to Ukraine, in his understanding, was held up in part in order to pressure Ukraine to investigate Joe Biden. According to multiple sources, the testimony overall was enough to convince some Republicans that there might actually be a there there.

This now combines with several issues surrounding the Trump Administration right now: The situation in Syria, Trump’s unfortunate tweet comparing the process to a “lynching”, and recent polling that shows several key Senate seats in play, and it appears to be helping Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell make his choice on who to support.

Hint: It’s not the President.
McConnell is #TeamMcConnell all the way. If Trump becomes a threat to Senate Republicans, McConnell will find a way to mitigate that threat as much as possible. If that means throwing Trump under the bus and taking their chances with President Mike Pence, then so be it. He will absolutely make that choice if it is in the best interest of him and his allies.

In his mind, Trump is expendable. Presidents have term limits and Senators do not. He can afford the shift in tone, and both he and Trump know this.

The question is… will Trump react and adjust the right way here?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
One of the advantages of having a broad range of sources is that pieces I might miss because of source selection present themselves to me. Here's a classic example from a conservative source, Red State. To say that I disagree with their politics is to put it mildly. But when they're correct, they're correct. I think the piece is accurate:

McConnell Appears To Be Choosing the Senate Over Trump

Yesterday’s testimony in Congress showed signs that Trump could very well be in trouble in the impeachment inquiry.

Ukraine ambassador Bill Taylor apparently testified that the aid to Ukraine, in his understanding, was held up in part in order to pressure Ukraine to investigate Joe Biden. According to multiple sources, the testimony overall was enough to convince some Republicans that there might actually be a there there.

This now combines with several issues surrounding the Trump Administration right now: The situation in Syria, Trump’s unfortunate tweet comparing the process to a “lynching”, and recent polling that shows several key Senate seats in play, and it appears to be helping Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell make his choice on who to support.

Hint: It’s not the President.
McConnell is #TeamMcConnell all the way. If Trump becomes a threat to Senate Republicans, McConnell will find a way to mitigate that threat as much as possible. If that means throwing Trump under the bus and taking their chances with President Mike Pence, then so be it. He will absolutely make that choice if it is in the best interest of him and his allies.

In his mind, Trump is expendable. Presidents have term limits and Senators do not. He can afford the shift in tone, and both he and Trump know this.

The question is… will Trump react and adjust the right way here?

Always fun to see Fox News take on this stuff.

Watch Fox News Personalities Attempt To Explain Away Bill Taylor's Testimony

tytlyf

Not Religious
Makes sense, republican elitists know that the Senate is more important to control than the presidency. Moscow Mitch is a yuuuuuge republican establishment swampster.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Makes sense, republican elitists know that the Senate is more important to control than the presidency. Moscow Mitch is a yuuuuuge republican establishment swampster.
And he has to be acutely aware that Amy McGrath raised more money than he did this last round. It may not be enough given that he's been re-elected in spite of being very unpopular, but 2020 could be different as this story points out Democrat challenging Mitch McConnell raises $10.7 million in third quarter