• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Red Cross Discimination

Aqualung

Tasty
Ðanisty;921905 said:
And I'm just thinking if my hubby contracted Mad Cow disease when he was three years old, he'd probably know by now. He is, afterall, going to be 27 in November. :rolleyes:

Apparantly, the average incubation period for CJD may be 30 years. Even if that number is high, it's a disease that definitely takes a long time to notice in humans.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
You (should) know for a fact there are people in this world who would refuse blood if they knew it came from homosexual men,
So don't tell them. I can imagine that a clansman might refuse blood if he knew it came from a black person, but I don't know any of hospitals/emergency personnel actually asking clansmen whether it's ok to give them "black blood."

Do we generally tell the recipients of blood transfusions what the gender, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, religion, etc is of the donor to make sure it's ok with them?

Ciscokid

So don't tell them. I can imagine that a clansman might refuse blood if he knew it came from a black person, but I don't know any of hospitals/emergency personnel actually asking clansmen whether it's ok to give them "black blood."

Do we generally tell the recipients of blood transfusions what the gender, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, religion, etc is of the donor to make sure it's ok with them?

Very true. The patient shouldn't need to know "who" it came from, only, that it's safe and their type.

SoyLeche

meh...
It's not just the Red Cross that won't accept blood from homosexual men is it? I've donated with other services and they all ask about it.

Coincidentally - I know several people who have can't donate because they had a positive test result for HIV. None of them actually have it though. Anyone know how many false-positives and false-negatives come up in those tests?

Booko

Deviled Hen

Reminds me of an old M*A*S*H episode where some white guy asked for the "good stuff" and while he was still out they colored him with shoe polish just to make a point about the idiocy of his statement.

Nope, just blood type and Rh factor. Actually we don't tell them that even, because the medical staff takes care of that part.

Booko

Deviled Hen
It's not just the Red Cross that won't accept blood from homosexual men is it? I've donated with other services and they all ask about it.

Coincidentally - I know several people who have can't donate because they had a positive test result for HIV. None of them actually have it though. Anyone know how many false-positives and false-negatives come up in those tests?

There are different tests of course, and odds are the quick one gives the largest number of false positives.

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/testing/resources/journal_article/pdf/rapid_review.pdf [PDF]

Some other sites of interest:
HIV & AIDS - False Positive Viral Loads
Clinics Using OraQuick Oral HIV Test Reporting Rates of False-Positive Results Within Limits on Label, OraSure Announces - The Body (14:9400)

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Apparantly, the average incubation period for CJD may be 30 years. Even if that number is high, it's a disease that definitely takes a long time to notice in humans.
I thought it was ten years. You mean I'm still at risk? :eek: