• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Recycling Industry is struggling

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I must continually balance practicality with obsession...& ignorance.
I understand the first part, but the second part....nothing.
How does one balance ignorance?

I have an obsessive friend. Maybe, you are not so very obsessive. She collects her own and her friends' cash register receipts to put into the paper recycle even though I told her about an article that I read about the opinion that those contain something that should no go into recycling. I told her, whenever I see a small piece of paper, I think of you and it's true.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I understand the first part, but the second part....nothing.
How does one balance ignorance?
Consider non-recyclable plastics.
Is the landfill better than the fire?
I don't know.
I have an obsessive friend. Maybe, you are not so very obsessive. She collects her own and her friends' cash register receipts to put into the paper recycle even though I told her about an article that I read about the opinion that those contain something that should no go into recycling. I told her, whenever I see a small piece of paper, I think of you and it's true.
I'm not quite that bad....usually.

Rise

Recycling was, apparently, a scam to begin with.
Sending your trash to another country is not recycling. Most of it ended up in the ocean anyway after China picked through the stuff that was valuable.

We as a country need to be willing to endure higher upfront costs in order to avoid a throwaway economy that creates a plastic landfill problem for future generations to have to solve. It's taxing future generations for our gain now.
Whether it's paying higher costs for biodegradable or reusable items, or paying a higher cost to properly destroy necessary synthetic material by heat, it's better than having to pay the cost later of trying to clean up landfills and oceans that are overcrowded with plastic.

Too many people today take for granted that this is a normal and ok way to manage a society's waste, but this is a relatively new phenomenon in the past 50 years with the rise of cheap synthetic materials. Prior to that everything was easily burned or composted.

Last edited: