• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reconstructionalist Pagans?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I'm curious, how do you judge what material historical, mythology, etc in which you base your path and practice on? How do you find it legit compared to other things?

For example, I would love to practice a lot of American Indian traditions or African (even though I have heritage from both, I don't know my culture). However, I find some information about it kind of bias while others I would say generalization of beliefs that may or may not be true. Others, I'd say are more guessing rather than actual belief systems.

How do you judge what material historical, mythological, etc in which you base your path and practice on? How do you ifnd it legit compared to other things?

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Knowledge regarding the culture of the people who it first belonged to would be a good place to start. Some adjustments would need to be made, but they would be relatively minor. Nothing is 100% applicable in all times & locations, clearly.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Knowledge regarding the culture of the people who it first belonged to would be a good place to start. Some adjustments would need to be made, but they would be relatively minor. Nothing is 100% applicable in all times & locations, clearly.

Im not too much of a reconstructist. I try to remember exacy what our family believed in and learn it from the spirits. In other words, books help with inspiration and knowledge; they dont really define my practice.

In your pactice, how do you find knowledge that is legit? Do you do what you posted or have a different way of approaching it personally?

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Im not too much of a reconstructist. I try to remember exacy what our family believed in and learn it from the spirits. In other words, books help with inspiration and knowledge; they dont really define my practice.

In your pactice, how do you find knowledge that is legit? Do you do what you posted or have a different way of approaching it personally?
I read, a lot. I learned the languages. I find out how they lived, their social strata, customs, art, weapons, ect ad infinitum. Though for me, I suppose it happened somewhat in reverse. I became a pagan through an obsession with Germanic history & culture. I learned this for reasons far displaced from religious ones. I adopted it over time. I don't see why it wouldn't work the other way.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I read, a lot. I learned the languages. I find out how they lived, their social strata, customs, art, weapons, ect ad infinitum. Though for me, I suppose it happened somewhat in reverse. I became a pagan through an obsession with Germanic history & culture. I learned this for reasons far displaced from religious ones. I adopted it over time. I don't see why it wouldn't work the other way.

It could, of course. It's not my personal experience to learn first. Learning more confirmed what I believed rather than made me convert to the belief I learned about. More confirmation rather than conversion.

It always fascinated me that one can base their religiou practice on mythology etc. Maybe because the history of the gods are so far a part from today that to adopt any belief system back then takes quite a bit of effort to understand and know its legitamacy before practice. Unless that isn't that important?

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
It could, of course. It's not my personal experience to learn first. Learning more confirmed what I believed rather than made me convert to the belief I learned about. More confirmation rather than conversion.

It always fascinated me that one can base their religiou practice on mythology etc. Maybe because the history of the gods are so far a part from today that to adopt any belief system back then takes quite a bit of effort to understand and know its legitamacy before practice. Unless that isn't that important?
I cannot tell you. I started doing the rituals just as literal reconstruction. Not belief. I became the mask eventually, it would seem.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I cannot tell you. I started doing the rituals just as literal reconstruction. Not belief. I became the mask eventually, it would seem.

Hm. What is the difference? I don't see belief as abstract; I see it as an action verb and noun.

So, for example, if I were to reconstruct the culture of Naijeshi whose people Naije lived in the 700 B.C. of what is now Endianosia, I'd follow their literal customs such as what they wore, how they dressed, how they prayed. I'd follow their literal way of seeing life: reconstructing their morals (I'll say rather than beliefs), that are the foundation of the customs and practices with which they believe? I'd consider myself a Modern Naije but in this case, adopt a name for myself as the Naije tribe does with each person initiated into the family-both blood and community.

Or.

Is it more following these customs I mentioned above in the literal way that fits your preferences, your culture, and leaning on the things you are able to practice compared to those traditions you may not be able to (for whatever reason)?

Using analogy here to understand what you mean rather than asking exactly what you practice.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Hm. What is the difference? I don't see belief as abstract; I see it as an action verb and noun.

So, for example, if I were to reconstruct the culture of Naijeshi whose people Naije lived in the 700 B.C. of what is now Endianosia, I'd follow their literal customs such as what they wore, how they dressed, how they prayed. I'd follow their literal way of seeing life: reconstructing their morals (I'll say rather than beliefs), that are the foundation of the customs and practices with which they believe? I'd consider myself a Modern Naije but in this case, adopt a name for myself as the Naije tribe does with each person initiated into the family-both blood and community.

Or.

Is it more following these customs I mentioned above in the literal way that fits your preferences, your culture, and leaning on the things you are able to practice compared to those traditions you may not be able to (for whatever reason)?

Using analogy here to understand what you mean rather than asking exactly what you practice.

It should be rather obvious that I practice the Norse variant of the Germanic pagan beliefs. I make no bones about it. However, regarding your question it is the second set. I have done the literal reconstruction for short periods, and it's difficult. It's also retarded to do so for reasons beyond educating others. The Norse liked technology, after all.

Most importantly, the world has changed since the 800s, where I could organize a throng of men & women to go a'viking on the weak with their nailed-god who live south of the Elbe. There are, however, a few things I do that are decidedly more old-school than most. Namely, I perform animal sacrifice. Goats. I've mentioned this before. But that's a personal choice, for myself. I do not expect everyone, even those who generally agree with me, to do it.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
You have to understand that in most cases all pagan religions and goings on are reconstructions because there are no traditions with unbroken lineages. That being said it is irrelevant whether that is the case, and more relevant that the practices one would use are effective in yielding the desired result. Generally, pagans prefer to refer to these old stories you are speaking of as "folk tales" in order to nix the idea that they are inherently fantasy...

It's important to realize that most of the "fantastic tales" related to pagan faiths are actually the results of various path workings and they might seem mythical but are actually spiritual. This doesn't work the same as Christianity or other religions who do not partake in this process of actually traveling in theses realms or doing what is necessary to work with spirits. It is obvious you can see weird crap in the "astral" form since basically shape shifting is possible. Spirits can come to you as a cat, rat, bat, or jabberwocky.... There is no limit really... In my experience this form is malleable...

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I can't add much more except to echo that we should learn and understand the history and original culture of a people. Archaeologists, anthropologists, linguists, and other historians have already done the work.

For example, Heathenry is said to be a religion with homework. We have scholars like H.R. Ellis-Davidson who is considered the pre-eminent scholar.

Then because of the broken lines we fill in the holes with our own UPG. The big caveat is to remember it is UPG, unverifiable/unsubstantiated personal gnosis, which should never be passed off as canon. Another thing to remember is that reconstruction =/= re-enactment, primarily because this is not 10th century Scandinavia. Society has changed.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
It should be rather obvious that I practice the Norse variant of the Germanic pagan beliefs. I make no bones about it. However, regarding your question it is the second set. I have done the literal reconstruction for short periods, and it's difficult. It's also retarded to do so for reasons beyond educating others. The Norse liked technology, after all.

Most importantly, the world has changed since the 800s, where I could organize a throng of men & women to go a'viking on the weak with their nailed-god who live south of the Elbe. There are, however, a few things I do that are decidedly more old-school than most. Namely, I perform animal sacrifice. Goats. I've mentioned this before. But that's a personal choice, for myself. I do not expect everyone, even those who generally agree with me, to do it.
I understand. Let me ask, where do you find goats?

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
I didn't know there were goats for sale, honest and seriously. At least in city areas of Virginia, they probably do in foreign stores. I don't know.
I live in Tennessee, dear. There's plenty of places I can get goats. Lots of Mexican families have them, farmers. I've got a deal now with a guy who'll sell me one or two goats a year, towards the end of it. He makes a little extra money because I buy them at a premium if I want healthy ones. He'll normally give the elderly or sick ones, because they're gonna be put down anyway, and to be frank, my method is arguably better than his. The ones who end up with me won't have lived in vain, they do not become mulch. I send them off to Valhalla, drunk and well-sexed(if they're in that mood) with an obsidian blade sharp enough for surgery.

I've gotten to the point I can sever the spinal-column in a second or less.

..Sorry. Kinda' proud I can do this, is all. Want to puff out my chest a bit.