• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reconsidering Deism

Matthew78

aspiring biblical scholar
I was 24 years old when I renounced conservative Christianity and I embraced deism. I went from being a deist, to being an agnostic, to being an agnostic atheist. But I find philosophical naturalism to be unfulfilling personally. I'm reconsidering deism. I personally miss being a deist. I want to ask deists here-what is your reason(s) for being a deist? I have been thinking about arguments people use to defend belief in a divine being and, so far, the only arguments I'm even remotely impressed with are 1.) the argument from morality and 2.) the argument from reason.

Theists of any stripe are welcome to weigh in if they wish to :)

elmarna

while I have taken your road & weighed the choices I am at a loss why deisum attracts you.
I can not reply without a higher understanding.
I am used to be put in that catagory because of misrepresentation of egyptology.
The phoronic church does not have deisum it is i god only.
to seperate the concepts & focus on them I can understand.
you will find you way.
I am sure you will be searching the avenues with a reason that will aid you it what you seek!

Matthew78

while I have taken your road & weighed the choices I am at a loss why deisum attracts you.
I can not reply without a higher understanding.

Elmarna,

Thanks for replying. The reason that I am attracted to deism is because it's a belief that there exists a divine being based upon reason and observation. It doesn't rely on holy books, prophets, any kind of revelation or religious authorities. There aren't any clergy dictating what dogmas one is to accept or what doctrines are correct. Deism is a reason-based belief. Given that I consider myself a freethinker and I only like accepting ideas that have rational support in the form of cogent arguments, deism is very appealing.

I find it emotionally satisfying as well. Deists can believe that there exists a deliberate purpose for life. I like this better than naturalism, in which life has no objective, purposeful meaning, and it's up to the Secular Humanist to supply his (or her) own meaning to life and the Abrahamic religions, which I find hopelessly creepy!

erobinson25

My reason is that looking at nature and seeing how organized it is, I can't logically accept that argument that it was random. If you go to a planet and see bricks stacked up in a specific order, what would be you first assumption? Mine would be that an intelligent being was there and stacked them that way. That is how I look at the world, an intelligent being had to create it, the way that the atoms and electrons are in such perfect order, just looking at the way everything works, and not because we tell it to, forces me to acknowledge a greater being. Everything was created, if we didn't do it, who did? But as I love with deism, I don't believe that there is a guy sitting on a throne listening to all of our petty thoughts and prayers and deciding what to answer and what no too. Hope that helps:)

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Not in the DIR, they're not.

10. Discuss Individual Religions Forums
The DIR forums are for the express use for discussion by that specific group. They are not to be used for debate by anyone. People of other groups or faiths may post respectful questions to increase their understanding. Questions of a rhetorical or argumentative nature or that counter the beliefs of that DIR are not permitted. Only posts that comply with the tenets or spirit of that DIR are permitted. DIR areas are not to be used as cover to bash others outside the faith. The DIR forums are strictly moderated and posts are subject to editing or removal.

Would you like me to move the thread?

Matthew78

Not in the DIR, they're not.

10. Discuss Individual Religions Forums
The DIR forums are for the express use for discussion by that specific group. They are not to be used for debate by anyone. People of other groups or faiths may post respectful questions to increase their understanding. Questions of a rhetorical or argumentative nature or that counter the beliefs of that DIR are not permitted. Only posts that comply with the tenets or spirit of that DIR are permitted. DIR areas are not to be used as cover to bash others outside the faith. The DIR forums are strictly moderated and posts are subject to editing or removal.

Would you like me to move the thread?

My apologies Storm. I'm quite new and still learning my way around here. Maybe I should post, also, in a place where people can weigh in and even debate the issue. I'm not looking for a debate or argument. I'm just looking for discussion myself. I appreciate you reminding me of the rules here :)

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
My apologies Storm. I'm quite new and still learning my way around here. Maybe I should post, also, in a place where people can weigh in and even debate the issue. I'm not looking for a debate or argument. I'm just looking for discussion myself. I appreciate you reminding me of the rules here :)
Oh, it's fine. Lots of folks get confused by the DIRs.

If you're looking to avoid debate, I can put it in Comparative Religion or Theological Concepts.

We'd prefer you didn't start a new one, but moving is no trouble.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I was 24 years old when I renounced conservative Christianity and I embraced deism. I went from being a deist, to being an agnostic, to being an agnostic atheist. But I find philosophical naturalism to be unfulfilling personally. I'm reconsidering deism. I personally miss being a deist. I want to ask deists here-what is your reason(s) for being a deist? I have been thinking about arguments people use to defend belief in a divine being and, so far, the only arguments I'm even remotely impressed with are 1.) the argument from morality and 2.) the argument from reason.

Now that the threads been moved....

My dad is a deist. His theology consists of 2 sentences: "God exists. If you would know His mind, study His works."

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
I want to ask deists here-what is your reason(s) for being a deist? I have been thinking about arguments people use to defend belief in a divine being and, so far, the only arguments I'm even remotely impressed with are 1.) the argument from morality and 2.) the argument from reason.
To be quite honest, both are poor reasons to believe in a deistic deity.

Although I do know Deists who attempt to reason the existence of God with a poorly thought out "cause/effect" argument, the need for a cause without the physical laws of space/time is not necessary.

And the "Morality Argument" fails with a basic understanding of societal evolution and the rise of ethics among social animals for survivability reasons.

As a Modern Deist, I use my reason to understand more and more about the processes that formed our Universe, our world, and the living creatures residing here.

My belief in a deistic god relies solely on faith. There is no objective evidence of god. And anyone who ignores or twists the natural laws of the universe in a vain attempt to justify their faith is not using reason. They are simply rationalizing.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
... if we didn't do it, who did?

Everything follows the universal laws that have existed since the beginning of time.
A deity who simply set the wheels in motion and the end result was our ever expanding and diverse Universe is much more impressive than a deity what takes a hands on approach in making sure everything fits together.;)