1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reconcilliation between both halves of the Russian Church is achieved

Discussion in 'Eastern Orthodox (Chalcedonia' started by James the Persian, May 18, 2007.

1. James the Persian

James the Persian Dreptcredincios Crestin

Ratings:
    +656
    Finally, the split between the Russian Church under the Patriarch of Moscow and the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia, which separated after the Boilshevik revolution has been healed. Here are the BBC's articles on it:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6664491.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6662105.stm

Despite their misuse of the term, this was a split within a local church not a schism - both ROCOR and the Russian Church in Russia remained in communion with other Orthodox local churches, just not each other.

Anyway, this is wonderful news.

Slava lui Dumnezeu!
    Glory to God!

James

2. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Oldest Heretic

Ratings:
    +2,995
    Religion:
    Anglican...heretic
    Excellent news

It always is when people come together in Christ.

3. James the Persian

James the Persian Dreptcredincios Crestin

Ratings:
    +656
    Thank you. I'm particularly happy because my priest and another who helped me greatly over the years can now be in communion with one another. It is very great news.

James

4. hindupridemn

hindupridemn Defender of the Truth

Ratings:
    +8
    Religion:
    Baha'i/Hindu/Jain (very eclectic)
    Was this split doctrinal or political?

5. Smoke

Smoke Done here.

Ratings:
    +3,255
    Mainly political, though many adherents of ROCOR in years past held that the Moscow Patriarchate was apostate in that it was heavily infiltrated with Communist agents and cooperated in and abetted the persecution of Orthodox Christians. The Patriarchate was also viewed by many as unacceptably ecumenist.

There are a number of smaller jurisdictions resulting from the canonical chaos following the Russian Revolution that have still not been reconciled to the Patriarchate, as well as the various groups of Old Believers.