• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Recommended resources.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I’m becoming more intellectually curious about feminism recently. Not just the theory and gender studies, but all aspects.

So apart from obviously the newest edition of Feminist Theory and Feminist Theory from Margin to center by Bell Hooks, which are both on my TBR, are there any books you think that people should read in relation to feminism?
I’m eyeing We Should All be feminists and feminists don’t wear pink. (I thought I owned all of these, must have leant them out to people. No matter.)

So recs? Academic, laymen, fiction, non fiction, whatever.
Or even some of your favourite books about feminism?
Or books that you think helped the cause? Favourites about a strong female role model?
Whatever, doesn’t have to be specifically about feminism or women. Just books that you think are helpful or important or even just fun to read for feminists.

PureX

Veteran Member
I’m becoming more intellectually curious about feminism recently. Not just the theory and gender studies, but all aspects.

So apart from obviously the newest edition of Feminist Theory and Feminist Theory from Margin to center by Bell Hooks, which are both on my TBR, are there any books you think that people should read in relation to feminism?
I’m eyeing We Should All be feminists and feminists don’t wear pink. (I thought I owned all of these, must have leant them out to people. No matter.)

So recs? Academic, laymen, fiction, non fiction, whatever.
Or even some of your favourite books about feminism?
Or books that you think helped the cause? Favourites about a strong female role model?
Whatever, doesn’t have to be specifically about feminism or women. Just books that you think are helpful or important or even just fun to read for feminists.
Music - Ani Difranco.

Feminism is not just a woman's issue, anymore. Women are seen as being the keepers of social welfare, and cooperation, while the male dominated patriarchy is seen as being obsessed with wealth, and power, and competition. Young feminists, in particular, are not just concerned with women's right and opportunities, but with the health and well-being of culture, and of humanity, as a whole.

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Books weren't really influential for me when it came to embracing equality of the sexes. I learned it through life experience and being blessed with amazing parents who didn't say things like "you can't do this or that because you're the wrong sex" or other such nonsense. The mainstream media certainly didn't provide much in the way of good role models, but it didn't matter - the pervasive positive atmosphere my parents cultivated that encouraged me to be who I was and not defined by what was between my legs was paramount. Honestly, I feel that's all there is to it - do not define folks by what is between their legs. It's irrelevant for almost everything we do as humans. Don't need theory for that, it's simple logic.

I will name one inspiration, though - Xena. While today, depictions of women as warriors is more common, back then? Not so much. And while that television series horrifically bastardizes Paganism, it still has a special place in my heart as the only show of its time that bothered to depict a warrior woman (and not as a sex object). These days, I'd go with something more modern... like Wonder Woman (well the recent movie - the old comics aren't so modern... haha).

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Books weren't really influential for me when it came to embracing equality of the sexes. I learned it through life experience and being blessed with amazing parents who didn't say things like "you can't do this or that because you're the wrong sex" or other such nonsense. The mainstream media certainly didn't provide much in the way of good role models, but it didn't matter - the pervasive positive atmosphere my parents cultivated that encouraged me to be who I was and not defined by what was between my legs was paramount. Honestly, I feel that's all there is to it - do not define folks by what is between their legs. It's irrelevant for almost everything we do as humans. Don't need theory for that, it's simple logic.

I will name one inspiration, though - Xena. While today, depictions of women as warriors is more common, back then? Not so much. And while that television series horrifically bastardizes Paganism, it still has a special place in my heart as the only show of its time that bothered to depict a warrior woman (and not as a sex object). These days, I'd go with something more modern... like Wonder Woman (well the recent movie - the old comics aren't so modern... haha).
Omg Xena was my childhood!! I finally found a box set and snatched it up immediately!