• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Recommended books?

agorman

Premium Member
I've read something on the web about Asatru, but I'd like to go deeper, what books would you recommend me?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
There aren't many books on Asatru specifically beyond the various publications of the various troths out there.

Germanic fairy tales (such as Grimm's Fairy Tales), the Poetic Edda, Icelandic Sagas, Anglo-Saxon poetry, Arthurian lore...

Beyond that, it's a Neopagan religion. The best source is outside.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
I approach the religion the way my ancestors would have approached it: not through self-prayer books or the sorts of things that are mirrored in the Christian section. Rather, though history, stories, traditions, rituals, and mythology.

Even if it doesn't wear a Pagan mask, it can still carry with it the Pagan spirit. Tolkien's mythology is a great example (remember that he was a professor of Anglo-Saxon and a huge fan of Northern European lore in general; check out his poem The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun).

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I approach the religion the way my ancestors would have approached it: not through self-prayer books or the sorts of things that are mirrored in the Christian section. Rather, though history, stories, traditions, rituals, and mythology.

Even if it doesn't wear a Pagan mask, it can still carry with it the Pagan spirit. Tolkien's mythology is a great example (remember that he was a professor of Anglo-Saxon and a huge fan of Northern European lore in general; check out his poem The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun).

Tolkien is fascinating. His son, Christopher, who has overseen the publishing/republishing of virtually all of JRR's writings, maintains that his father wrote his various works as efforts to "tell what really happened" in the fractured and fragmented myths we have today from Scandinavia and most of North-West Europe. A friend of mine who has studied deeply both Celtic and Asatru mythology and legends, says the Tolkien really grasps the flavor of the Norse beliefs.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Tolkien is fascinating. His son, Christopher, who has overseen the publishing/republishing of virtually all of JRR's writings, maintains that his father wrote his various works as efforts to "tell what really happened" in the fractured and fragmented myths we have today from Scandinavia and most of North-West Europe. A friend of mine who has studied deeply both Celtic and Asatru mythology and legends, says the Tolkien really grasps the flavor of the Norse beliefs.

A very interesting thing, too, considering he was a devout Roman Catholic. :D

Schwarzweg

Ullr, Nebet-Het,Wendigowak
I've read something on the web about Asatru, but I'd like to go deeper, what books would you recommend me?
1. Gardenstone
"Germanische Magie"
Arun Verlag

2.Welten Esche
Esche Welten und
dazu passend das germ. Götterorakel mit 81 Karten

3. Das Büchlein
Ralph Blum
"Runen" und
dazu passend Runen frei wählbar nach "schön finden" und "Anziehungskraft"
Es gibt noch sehr viel mehr dazu, aber DAS sind die Sachen mit denen ICH arbeite
und die ICH empfehlen kann . Nicht billig aber hoch informativ und man kann viel lernen
und daraus Nutzen ziehen (wenn man WILL) Ich nutze es nur bedingt...............

LG

Schwarzweg

Ullr, Nebet-Het,Wendigowak
1. Gardenstone
"Germanische Magie"
Arun Verlag

2.Welten Esche
Esche Welten und
dazu passend das germ. Götterorakel mit 81 Karten

3. Das Büchlein
Ralph Blum
"Runen" und
dazu passend Runen frei wählbar nach "schön finden" und "Anziehungskraft"
Es gibt noch sehr viel mehr dazu, aber DAS sind die Sachen mit denen ICH arbeite
und die ICH empfehlen kann . Nicht billig aber hoch informativ und man kann viel lernen
und daraus Nutzen ziehen (wenn man WILL) Ich nutze es nur bedingt...............

LG
Es heißt nicht wie übersetzt Gartenstein , sondern es ist das englische Wort Gardenstone übersetze
ins englische Das Buch ist aber alles auf deutsch