• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Recommend me some books

Yerda

Veteran Member
Good books are the best gifts I've ever recieved. If any of you have read anything you found particularly good I'd like to know. So, some recommendations please. :D

I like most genres. I like most styles. Short-stories, fiction, non-fiction, poetry, whatever.

Cheers!

MissAlice

These are books I love that're a bit underrated and fiction.

Kurt Vonnegut Jr. Welcome to the Monkey House. Great books and it's full of short stories.

Hermann Hesse Narcissus and Goldmund. You'll have to read it to decide for yourself. It's a little hard to explain from my own perception. I'm not exactly sure what it is that drew me about this book.

Ray Bradbury The Martian Chronicles. It's simple and full of short stories about the future in Mars and the effects of man's presence on its soil. I still like to go back and read it. My niece loves it as well.

Voltaire. Micromégas. This is a very very old work of science fiction about the observations and cultures viewed by an alien. Hard for me to explain so I just recommend you read it.

David Lindsay. A Voyage to Arcturus. I loved this book but as I've said each person has their own taste. It is also a work of fiction.

Richard Adams. Watership Down. It's about a rabbit society and written from their perspective.

H.P. Lovecraft. At the Mountains of Madness. Brilliant book but then again I like most of Lovecraft's novels.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I looked her up. I'll be honest, I've almost always avoided fantasy writing. Time to be more open-minded I think.
You should, she's amazing. What really sets her apart from the pack (I think) is her background as a theologian. The Sundering explores the concept of evil; the Kushiel series began as a contemplation of free will and the sanctity of sex.

Add to that some of the most elegant prose I've ever read, and she transcends mere fiction to craft true mythic cycles. I've read the original Kushiel trilogy cover to cover a dozen times, and I always find a new layer of meaning. It's not exaggerating too much to call it my Bible.

Watchmen

Premium Member
The Road by Cormac McCarthy

The Gunslinger (and the other Dark Tower books) by Stephen King.

Any of Neil Gaiman's short stories.

Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman.

elmarna

A hitchhikers guide to the galaxy-
it is based on pespectives both humorus and gets you to think!!!!

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I have some favorite authors who can't seem to write much that isn't great:

Thomas Friedmann - interesting sociological books and books related to current events worldwide. I love his inquisitive, honest, and balanced perspective

Bill Bryson - very entertaining, witty, and brutally honest books on mostly world travel. Hilarious, informative, and hard to put down!

Bruce Feiler - he immerses himself in different cultures (the circus, college in England, the Nashville music scene, teaching English in Japan, etc) and then writes about his experiences and insights. He's funny as well as sincere - and always respectful of other cultures and subcultures.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Bill Bryson - very entertaining, witty, and brutally honest books on mostly world travel. Hilarious, informative, and hard to put down!

'A Walk in the Woods' is solid gold, by Bryson

"A Book of Negroes" was an AMAZING book, I've recently finished.
~By Lawrence Hill

I'd call it historical fiction and has to be THE easiest book format wise I've ever read.
It's one of those that you can get right into the 'voice'.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Tales of the Dying Earth - Jack Vance
Gateway - Frederik Pohl
The Algebraist - Ian M. Banks
Forever War - Joe Haldeman
The Hyperion Cantos - Dan Simmons

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
'A Walk in the Woods' is solid gold, by Bryson

"A Book of Negroes" was an AMAZING book, I've recently finished.
~By Lawrence Hill

I'd call it historical fiction and has to be THE easiest book format wise I've ever read.
It's one of those that you can get right into the 'voice'.

Checking it out right now on Amazon - and will probably download it to my Kindle tonight! It looks really good. Thanks!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Catch 22 (by Joseph Heller)
The Onion Field....& anything else by Joseph Wambaugh
Gorky Park....& anything else by Martin Cruz Smith, especially those featuring the intrepid Soviet investigator, Arkady Renko
Shibumi....& anything else by Trevanian
Slaughterhouse 5....Cat's Cradle....& anything else by Kurt Vonnegut
The Bonfire of the Vanities....A Man in Full....& anything else by Tom Wolfe
A Clockwork Orange (Anthony Burgess)

Last edited: