• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Recommend a summary of your religious-faith

buddhist

I'm interested in learning more about different religious-faith systems. Can you recommend one article/essay which, in your opinion, summarizes and represents the best of your religious-faith? That is, if you wanted to persuade someone that your chosen path is the best path, and you had one short opportunity to convince him, what would you have him read?

To get us started, this is what I'd recommend, for early Buddhism. It's the exceptionally written introduction to the first chapter of the book/anthology "In the Buddha's Words", by Bhikkhu Bodhi.

Laika

Premium Member
I'm interested in learning more about different religious-faith systems. Can you recommend one article/essay which, in your opinion, summarizes and represents the best of your religious-faith? That is, if you wanted to persuade someone that your chosen path is the best path, and you had one short opportunity to convince him, what would you have him read?

To get us started, this is what I'd recommend, for early Buddhism. It's the exceptionally written introduction to the first chapter of the book/anthology "In the Buddha's Words", by Bhikkhu Bodhi.

Stalin's dialectical and historical materialism pretty much covers everything you'd need to understand my beliefs-but only as a part of a much larger system of thought that is extremely diverse and can be used in a variety of ways. It isn't fine writing but is practical and effective at communicating the essentials. It's more a series of intellectual tools than a fixed set of positions- so you can be pretty heretical with it as long as your prepared to have a few shocks and surprises on the way. The content of the text itself doesn't merit a moral panic over the author but in using and living with these ideas, it is always worth keeping it in mind.

https://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/stalin/works/1938/09.htm

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, Druidry and Paganisms are not really "faith" systems, nor do they have any interest in proclaiming themselves to be the "best path." Not really sure how to approach this thread. :shrug:

buddhist

Well, Druidry and Paganisms are not really "faith" systems, nor do they have any interest in proclaiming themselves to be the "best path." Not really sure how to approach this thread. :shrug:
OK, perhaps a related question you might be able to answer would be "what are the best reasons why you choose to believe or practice the way you do, instead of choosing any other path"?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
These are good questions and I am actually putting some time answering this. You don't have to reply to everything but give it a good read.

I'm interested in learning more about different religious-faith systems. Can you recommend one article/essay which, in your opinion, summarizes and represents the best of your religious-faith?
Actually, while maturing in faith, I really don't have a religion. I have practices. Accumulating my practices as one belief-system is trying to make different colors so vibrant into one.
As said best by Anne Wilson Schaef (Author of Native Wisdom for White [Western] Minds) "When a rainbow gets constricted, it becomes one color-white.
  • Hoodoo/Rootwork (But the Santeria [Lukumi religion] site explains it the closest even though it should not be mixed with Rootwork)
Hoodoo/Rootwork (Ancestor veneration) is one of the many practices (and I practice it religiously and as a religion) that underlines many Pagan, Catholic, and indigenous faiths. Though the practices are severely different, the outlook is pretty much similar. In Hoodoo (I rather say Rootwork), one goes to their ancestors before going to god. I believe god is life not an entity. So, going to my ancestors is learning about life itself and my relationship with others. Summarizing it: Communion with the ancestors, spirits, and god.

Ancestors of blood relation or of religious lineage are collectively called Egun. Egun are critical to our religious functions in Santeria. They are always propitiated first (even before the Orisha Eleggua) because we say the dead give birth to the orishas (The dead give way to the orishas). As part of our veneration of Egun, we call upon the names of our religious ancestors and our blood ancestors every time we recite our moyuba (mojuba) prayer. We also make offerings of food, favorite drinks and songs to our Egun before any religious ceremony, and before the ceremony can proceed, Egun must give us permission through Obi divination. ~Church of Santeria

Practices such as blessings usually involve Biblical prayers from Psalms given the Catholic mix before they came to the South U.S. where my family is from. My family practices it to an extent. I don't read the Bible, but I find that helps connect with family even though in and of itself, it's not my faith.

Other things I share with both Rootwork and Lukumi is the interaction with the spirits in our everyday life.

Here are the differences between the two (and Vodun) to avoid confusion:
What is the difference between Voodoo, Hoodoo and Santeria

• Catholicism: Living through sacrifice of self (things that prevent us from living a spiritual life), repentance (turning from our old ways), penitence (practice new ways through actions) via the life (living for others), death (living in repentance), and resurrection (to live a spiritual life as a result) through the example of Jesus' Christ's Crucifixion. You can read about it in full in the Catechism of the Catholic Church; but, it's best experienced by the sacraments rather than text.
I practice it in context.
  • Mahayana (Ten Tai) Nichiren Buddhism: Having full understanding of the nature of life via suffering (positive and negative) by cause and affect and how it affects us in our rebirth. Nichiren summed it up in the title of the Lotus Sutra: Nam Myoho Renge Kyo. I devote myself to the mystic Law of cause and affect. It is chanted morning and evening. Though, like Catholicism, I practice it in context. It's a common sense teaching that I wouldn't even call it a religion. It's life.
"The foremost treasure of sentient beings is nothing other than life itself. Those who take life are doomed to fall into the three evil paths. Wheel-turning kings observed the precept of "not to kill" as the first of the ten good precepts. The Buddha preached the five precepts at the starting point of the Hinayana sutras and made "not to kill" the first of them. The Buddha also taught "not to kill" as the first of the ten major precepts in the Bommo Sutra of Mahayana. The Juryo chapter of the Lotus Sutra contains the blessings of Shakyamuni Buddha's precept "not to kill." Consequently, those who take life will be forsaken by all the Buddhas in the three existences, and the gods of the six heavens of the world of desire will not protect them. The scholars of our time are aware of this, and I, Nichiren, also have a general understanding of it." ~On Recommending This Teaching to Your Lord and Avoiding the Offense of Complicity in Slander

There are two many suttas and sutras to count that mirror my beliefs. There are no teachings in Buddhism that I disagree with nor find questionable.

That is, if you wanted to persuade someone that your chosen path is the best path, and you had one short opportunity to convince him, what would you have him read?

The Buddha (or so his disciples written in the Lotus Sutra) says not to say ill things of other people's scriptures. I'd extend that to evangelism and not persuading people to think my way rather than, as a Bodhisattva, teach them in a general way enlightenment but in the manner they understand instead.

There is more information I could give in addition to the links above.

I basically just practicing gratitude in living life.

Summary: Communing with ancestors, turning from old ways and living in new, and by practicing the laws of causality as well as understanding the nature of suffering: birth and death.​

Confusing, I know.

Oh. Here is another website: How to honor your ancestors.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
@buddhist

I think the biggest thing I wish others to know and really practice when it comes to my faith is respect and honoring the ancestors. I find that someone who doesn't honor their past no matter their relations with their present family is missing on a lot of history and foundation. I don't try to persuade people; and, I feel kind of sad that some of us don't have have a strong connection with family. Others just say "family is not always blood" and I think, that's like saying, "the mother that raised you, bore you, and everything isn't your mother even though you share the same blood." It's more than just blood just the blood. It's one's heritage. How can one know this without communing with their ancestors.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

For Hinduism, we're so vast that I don't think we'd ever agree on one short article that could possibly represent us all. Besides that, there is no need to persuade anybody. Personally, I couldn't take that approach for sure, partly because information is just so available, and also partly because I believe the search is up to the individual. I actually come very close to discouraging people from looking into my religion.

SpentaMaynu

One God, All in all
what are the best reasons why you choose to believe or practice the way you do, instead of choosing any other path"?

I believe in the truth of all religions (this is called Omnism) and I interpret this as all religions have some truth. No matter what Name you decide to give God or Ultimate Reality, there still is only One God... Many Names, many Manifestations. For me the the Hindu scripture Rig Veda sums it up the best: -

"To what is One the sages give many Names"

arthra

Baha'i
Can you recommend one article/essay which, in your opinion, summarizes and represents the best of your religious-faith?

For me "Baha'u'llah and the New Era" was a good summary of the Baha'i Faith.. You can easily find topics of interest and there is good documentation. It's one of the two books that convinced me to be a Baha'i!

It's online at

http://bahai-library.com/esslemont_bahaullah_new_era

Can be downloaded at

https://sites.google.com/site/ebook...he-New-Era-An-Introduction-to-the-Bahai-Faith

and is readily available commercially:

https://www.amazon.com/Bahaullah-New-Era-Introduction-Bahai/dp/1931847274

"In this compact work, J. E. Esslemont comprehensively yet succinctly sets forth the teachings of Baha'u'llah, the Prophet and Founder of the Baha'i Faith. He outlines the religion's early history; explains its theology; incorporates extracts from Baha'i scripture; and provides information on Baha'i spiritual practices. This is essential reading for students of comparative religion."

buddhist

For me "Baha'u'llah and the New Era" was a good summary of the Baha'i Faith.. You can easily find topics of interest and there is good documentation. It's one of the two books that convinced me to be a Baha'i!

It's online at

http://bahai-library.com/esslemont_bahaullah_new_era

Can be downloaded at

https://sites.google.com/site/ebook...he-New-Era-An-Introduction-to-the-Bahai-Faith

and is readily available commercially:

https://www.amazon.com/Bahaullah-New-Era-Introduction-Bahai/dp/1931847274

"In this compact work, J. E. Esslemont comprehensively yet succinctly sets forth the teachings of Baha'u'llah, the Prophet and Founder of the Baha'i Faith. He outlines the religion's early history; explains its theology; incorporates extracts from Baha'i scripture; and provides information on Baha'i spiritual practices. This is essential reading for students of comparative religion."
Thanks for the book recommendation ... but do you have a more concise article you might also like to share?

atanu

Premium Member
I'm interested in learning more about different religious-faith systems.

To me Hindu Dharma is Sanatana dharma (eternal dharma) and Vaidika Dharma (as enshrined in the Vedas and associated scriptures). The truth according to my understanding is the three syllables AUM and the silence that precedes the syllable 'M'. The AUM represents three states of mind: waking, dreaming, and sleeping. The preceding (and the proceeding) silence represents the Seer of the three states. It is said the silent unsaid syllable is timeless yet it permeates all the universes through past, present, and future as AUM.

I think the following WIKI page gives a nice (and correct) summary:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinduism
Although Hinduism contains a broad range of philosophies, it is linked by shared concepts, recognisable rituals, cosmology, shared textual resources, pilgrimage to sacred sites and the questioning of authority.[12] Hindu texts are classified into Shruti("heard") and Smriti ("remembered"). These texts discuss theology, philosophy, mythology, Vedic yajna, Yoga and agamicrituals and temple building, among other topics.[13] Major scriptures include the Vedas and Upanishads, the Bhagavad Gita, and the Agamas.[14][15]

Prominent themes in Hindu beliefs include the four Puruṣārthas, the proper goals or aims of human life, namely Dharma(ethics/duties), Artha (prosperity/work), Kama (desires/passions) and Moksha (liberation/freedom);[16][17] karma (action, intent and consequences), samsara (cycle of rebirth), and the various Yogas (paths or practices to attain moksha).[18][19]Hindu practices include rituals such as puja (worship) and recitations, meditation, family-oriented rites of passage, annual festivals, and occasional pilgrimages. Some Hindus leave their social world and material possessions, then engage in lifelong Sannyasa (monastic practices) to achieve moksha.[20][21] Hinduism prescribes the eternal duties, such as honesty, refraining from injuring living beings (ahimsa), patience, forbearance, self-restraint, and compassion, among others.[web 2][22]

Anyone interested in full reading may wish to scan through:

http://www.kamakoti.org/newlayout/template/hindudharma.html

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls

So much to choose from!

I think I would go with the Heart Sutra, not really to convince anyone but because it is rather cool. ;)

"The Bodhisattva of Compassion,
When he meditated deeply,
Saw the emptiness of all five skandhas
And sundered the bonds that caused him suffering.

Here then,
Form is no other than emptiness,
Emptiness no other than form.
Form is only emptiness,
Emptiness only form....."

http://www.fwbo-news.org/resources/heart_sutra.pdf

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Hardly possible in Hinduism, but perhaps three lines describe what I believe.
1. Brahma satyam jaganmithya, jīvo Brahmaiva nā parah.
(Brahman is truth, the perceived is an illusion, the living being is not different from Brahman)
2. Paropakāram punyāya, pāpāya parapīdanam.
(Helping others is merit, causing pain to others in sin)
3. Ekam sat viprā bahudhā vadanti.
(Truth is constant. People describe it variously)

Last edited:

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member

Hi Buddhist,

I love anything about the Buddha. All His Words are so meaningful and uplifting.

Here is a link to a free PDF containing plenty of nice pictures, about my beliefs.

http://bahai-library.com/pdf/h/hartz_bahai_faith.pdf

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
th