• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Recipe for chocolate matzo torte?

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Namaste yall. :) Our church seder is coming up this weekend. (Yes, I know it's early but we have to do it at a convenient time so that our members who really are Jewish can celebrate properly at the right time with family and friends. :p) And I need a good recipe for chocolate matzo torte. When I lived in Berkeley there was this fantastic bakery called Au Chocolat that made the most delicious chocolate matzo tortes. I would wait for Passover season just so I could have it. And I haven't been able to find a recipe for anything nearly as good. Any suggestions?

evearael

Chocolate Matzoh Torte (Dairy)
8 eggs, separated
1/2 pound sugar
1/2 pound chopped pecans
1/2 pound grated german chocolate
1/2 pound chopped raisins
1/2 cup matzoh meal
Juice of one orange
1 wine glass sherry
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar

Preheat oven to 325. Lightly grease 10 inch springform pan. Beat egg yolks with sugar until light. Add remaining ingredients, except cream of tartar. Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff. Mix 1/4 beaten egg whites into yolk mixture. Then, take this and carefully fold back into remaining beaten egg whites. Do not deflate egg whites. Bake in moderate slow oven (325) for 1 hour. Yield: 8-10 servings.

From The Beth-Elicious Cookbook, 1999
Order info:
BETH-ELICIOUS
Temple Beth-El Religious School
601 N. Parham Road
Richmond, VA 23229
Cost: $20.00 + $3.50 S&H

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
evearael said:
Chocolate Matzoh Torte (Dairy)
8 eggs, separated
1/2 pound sugar
1/2 pound chopped pecans
1/2 pound grated german chocolate
1/2 pound chopped raisins
1/2 cup matzoh meal
Juice of one orange
1 wine glass sherry
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar

Preheat oven to 325. Lightly grease 10 inch springform pan. Beat egg yolks with sugar until light. Add remaining ingredients, except cream of tartar. Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff. Mix 1/4 beaten egg whites into yolk mixture. Then, take this and carefully fold back into remaining beaten egg whites. Do not deflate egg whites. Bake in moderate slow oven (325) for 1 hour. Yield: 8-10 servings.

From The Beth-Elicious Cookbook, 1999
Order info:
BETH-ELICIOUS
Temple Beth-El Religious School
601 N. Parham Road
Richmond, VA 23229
Cost: $20.00 + $3.50 S&H
Thanks evearael! I was afraid that you were going to post the recipe with the matzo crackers and canned frosting that I've been finding online everwhere, but this one sounds really good. :)

If I use bittersweet chocolate, won't that avoid the dairy issue?

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
evearael said:
I'm afraid I don't know if cream of tartar has dairy....
No, cream of tartar is dairy-free. It's just called that because it's white. So as long as I don't use milk chocolate, I should be ok. :)

Speaking of misnomers, does anyone know why an egg cream is called an egg cream? It has neither eggs nor cream in it. Delicious tho!