• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Receiving Death Threads

Ronald

NetDoc said:
Do you have a verse that denies this?
Yeah I do!
!Cor.15:53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

DE.33:27 The eternal God is thy refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms: and he shall thrust out the enemy from before thee; and shall say, Destroy them.

Eternal's and Immortal's are in short supply in scripture, There is only ONE Eternal who bestows immortality to mortals.

Rave on Christian!!!!!!!! :bonk:

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Ah, but what means "mortal"?

Is spiritual death the cessation of being or the absense of God?

Does eternal life merely indicate quantity or quality?

Matthew !0:16 Now a man came up to Jesus and asked, "Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?"

Matthew 25:45 "He will reply, `I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.' 46 "Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

John 17:3 Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.

We must be reading different Bibles... there are TONS of scriptures with eternal in them. You might try one of the more modern translations. I use the NIV.

Ronald

Put lipstick on a pig and you are still kissing a pig. No Thanks!
A wolf in sheeps clothing, we are warned about.
Skirt the issue, I've come to expect that from Replacement Theologist's!
There is NO Immortal Soul! The Truth will set you free. :)

Scuba Pete

What then is eternal life? Is this not the soul's continued existence in the presence of God?

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
lousyskater said:
exactly. when your time is up, it's up. there's no "it's unfair" or anything else like that. i'm not talking about fate though, i'm just saying that there is no way around death. when it comes, there's nothing you can do about it. you may be able to prolong life, but death will eventually come.
I don't know...I think when your number is up, it's up.
There was an accident here, guy should have been dead for sure...the car literally took out the powerpole, rolled a couple of times and came to a stop upside down about 30 yards off the road. He walked away. Got out of the car and walked up to the road for help. Straight into the live powerlines. His time wasn't up when the car came to a stop, but the sand ran out in the hourglass at about the time he hit the electricity.

Ronald

NetDoc said:
What then is eternal life? Is this not the soul's continued existence in the presence of God?
Gift of God! And not until the resurrection.
1 Cor.15:51 ¶ Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. :162:

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Eternal life is a religious concept held by some religions... it is not a proven thing, nor is it nessisary for a religion to believe in. Personally its not something I'm going to worry about.

wa:do

mahayana

Let's give carrdero credit for the punny title of this thread. It could have been about getting those black suits and dresses to wear at funerals, no?

Death is threatening to a lot of people, not to mention the prospect of judgement and eternal punishment. Even reincarnation disrupts your personal status quo a bit. I'd say that preoccupation with death is common; whole genres of our literature, much of our entertainment, is about death. Not to mention public policy. Most of the money spent on healthcare goes to the last months of the patient's life, so the question of how we approach dying is more than philosophical. Not wanting to die is a great motivator, for individuals and nations.

mahayana

Is there a correct way to die?

There are lots of zen stories that recount the last words of renowned masters. These are instructive.

Or the story about the tiger and the strawberry- do you know that one?

A lot of songs and poetry address this as well:

"And so it goes, and so it goes, and so will you soon, I suppose."

"We're just a drop of water in an endless sea."

"If there's peace you find in dyin', let my dyin' time be near."

Scuba Pete

Ronald...

My question was...

What is "immortal"?

What is mortal?

Most Christians get hung up on the physical here and now.

Those who worship God must worship in Spirit and in truth.

Again my suggestion is that the Scriptures are oft referring to a QUALITY of existence rather than the cessation of existence.

Romans 6:1 What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? 2 By no means! We died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? 3 Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4 We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life. 5 If we have been united with him like this in his death, we will certainly also be united with him in his resurrection. 6 For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin-- 7 because anyone who has died has been freed from sin. 8 Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him. 9 For we know that since Christ was raised from the dead, he cannot die again; death no longer has mastery over him. 10 The death he died, he died to sin once for all; but the life he lives, he lives to God. 11 In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus.

The physical death we all must go through (unless he comes) is experienced by all creatures. It is natural. Our spiritual death (the absense of God) occurs with our first sin. It is supernatural. Our spiritual rebirth comes with repentence and baptism. It is also supernatural and reconnects us to God.

As it is, our spirits (supernatural) are clothed by our bodies (natural & mortal). When we die our spirits sleep. When Christ comes again "we shall not sleep but we shall ALL be changed" which means we will not have our mortal, natural body in heaven, but a supernatural one. Our spirits will be clothed by the supernatural & immortal (incorruptible).

Most spirits will be "dead"... without God. They will still exist eternally but in total darkness as that was their choice in life.

A few spirits will be "alive"... with God. They will exist eternally in the total light that is God as this was their choice in life.

Scuba Pete

Mahayana,

I would love to hear about the tiger and the strawberry. Or at least point to it on the web!

cardero

Citizen Mod
NetDoc writes: What then is eternal life? Is this not the soul's continued existence in the presence of God?
Eternal life is the existence of existing. It doesn’t have to necessarily BE in the presence of any entity. Your life on this planet is part of your eternal existence. Your afterlife on the realm you occupy after death is part of your ongoing existence.

Mahayana writes: Not wanting to die is a great motivator, for individuals and nations.

But is it an unreasonable desire in the face of the TRUTH that everyone has to die and everyone has to die in some way. Is “wanting” everyone to live a long life selfish and impractical? I mean just because someone has lived a long life do we as a society equate a long life with a good life?

Ronald

NetDoc said:
Ronald...

My question was...

What is "immortal"? [Ronald] Can not die.

What is mortal? [Ronald] Will die

Most Christians get hung up on the physical here and now.[Ronald] can't speak for them

Those who worship God must worship in Spirit and in truth.[Ronald] Absolutely

Again my suggestion is that the Scriptures are oft referring to a QUALITY of existence rather than the cessation of existence. [Ronald] Your suggestion.

Romans 6:1 What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? 2 By no means! We died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? 3 Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4 We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life. 5 If we have been united with him like this in his death, we will certainly also be united with him in his resurrection. 6 For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin-- 7 because anyone who has died has been freed from sin. 8 Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him. 9 For we know that since Christ was raised from the dead, he cannot die again; death no longer has mastery over him. 10 The death he died, he died to sin once for all; but the life he lives, he lives to God. 11 In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus.

The physical death we all must go through (unless he comes) is experienced by all creatures. It is natural. Our spiritual death (the absense of God) occurs with our first sin. It is supernatural. Our spiritual rebirth comes with repentence and baptism. It is also supernatural and reconnects us to God. [Ronald] Your belief
As it is, our spirits (supernatural) are clothed by our bodies (natural & mortal). When we die our spirits sleep. When Christ comes again "we shall not sleep but we shall ALL be changed" which means we will not have our mortal, natural body in heaven, but a supernatural one. Our spirits will be clothed by the supernatural & immortal (incorruptible). [Ronald] Eccl 12:7 the spirit returns to God who gave it.

Most spirits will be "dead"... without God. They will still exist eternally but in total darkness as that was their choice in life. [Ronald] How God Awful Christian belief without on shread of scriptural evidence!

A few spirits will be "alive"... with God. They will exist eternally in the total light that is God as this was their choice in life. [Ronald] Eccl 12:7 says differently, The Spirit/not a few, but (all) spirit returns to God who gave it.
Someone needs to teach these old dogs like me how to do this right.

mahayana

Buddha told a parable in a sutra:

One day while walking through the wilderness a man stumbled upon a vicious tiger. He ran but soon came to the edge of a high cliff. To save himself, he climbed down a vine and dangled over the fatal precipice. As he hung there, two mice appeared from a hole in the cliff and began gnawing on the vine. Suddenly, he noticed on the cliff in front of him a plump wild strawberry. He plucked it and popped it in his mouth. It was incredibly delicious!