• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reccomended books, authors and bible teachers - new and old.

slabbey06

Bond-Servant of Christ
I just started reading Christian Apologetics by Dr. Norman Geisler. It's excellent! I wish I could post the whole thing.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
I just started reading Christian Apologetics by Dr. Norman Geisler. It's excellent! I wish I could post the whole thing.

I've heard of him a few times, I'll look out for a book.

Has anyone read Alaistair McGraths writings in response to The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins? I was very close to buying one of the bookss this weekend, it has some impressive endorsments - one from a scientist atheist.

slabbey06

Bond-Servant of Christ
I've heard of him a few times, I'll look out for a book.

Has anyone read Alaistair McGraths writings in response to The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins? I was very close to buying one of the bookss this weekend, it has some impressive endorsments - one from a scientist atheist.

I've heard of him, but can't remember reading any of his stuff. I'll ask my parents if they've read him and what they think.

Hope

Princesinha

I might have to check that out.

Another good book on apologetics is Handbook of Christian Apologetics by Peter Kreeft & Ronald K. Tacelli. Excellent stuff.

Ringer

Jar of Clay
I like my Systematic Theology book by Wayne Grudem. It really helps when it comes to dealing with touchy subjects from a biblical perspective. Deals with topics such as Hell, the knowability of God, election and reprobation, accuracy of the bible, the divine trinity, etc... A good reference book that I've used quit often.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
I like my Systematic Theology book by Wayne Grudem. It really helps when it comes to dealing with touchy subjects from a biblical perspective. Deals with topics such as Hell, the knowability of God, election and reprobation, accuracy of the bible, the divine trinity, etc... A good reference book that I've used quit often.
Sounds interesting, does that approach these topics from a calvinist perspective?

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
One book that I have been reading which is an absolute must for anyone interested in Church history is The Martyrs Mirror it memorializes the godly lives and glorious deaths of thousands of early Christians, especially European Anabaptist martyrs between 1524 and 1660. The book shines a mirror on ordinary people who experienced a spiritual reality that few today can even imagine. Like the more famous Foxe's Book of Martyrs, this compilation attempts to trace the history of those through the centuries, beginning with the martyrdom of Christ's apostles, who were willing to stand alone for a simple, obedient faith. It has some amazing accounts, I have just been reading an account of an attempt by a friar to convert an anabaptist before his execution, the debate they have is a brilliant read and their constancy is an encouragement to all.

slabbey06

Bond-Servant of Christ
One book that I have been reading which is an absolute must for anyone interested in Church history is The Martyrs Mirror it memorializes the godly lives and glorious deaths of thousands of early Christians, especially European Anabaptist martyrs between 1524 and 1660. The book shines a mirror on ordinary people who experienced a spiritual reality that few today can even imagine. Like the more famous Foxe's Book of Martyrs, this compilation attempts to trace the history of those through the centuries, beginning with the martyrdom of Christ's apostles, who were willing to stand alone for a simple, obedient faith. It has some amazing accounts, I have just been reading an account of an attempt by a friar to convert an anabaptist before his execution, the debate they have is a brilliant read and their constancy is an encouragement to all.

It sounds like a book that will make me cry...in a good way.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
It sounds like a book that will make me cry...in a good way.
It's been an amazing read, the anabaptists have a bad name because of one group of them that took over the city of muster in germany by force and practice common possesion of all things including their wives, this was one group of them who were disowned by the rest. But those who hated the anabaptists spread all kinds of lies about them which they vigouroulsy denied. I myself have been re-baptised having been baptised as an infant in unbelief.
But this book also has accounts of believers baptism being practiced througout all centuries and also accounts of martyrs from all centuries.

porkchop

I'm Heffer!!!

Hey, youre back!! How are you feeling?? Glad youre out of hospital and back on here Josh, slabbey kept us informed.
Ive never heard of that book, is it good?
Im reading a book called "Running against the wind" by Brian Flynn. About his journey through new age to the love of God and saving grace, its brilliant!!

Ringer

Jar of Clay
Hey, youre back!! How are you feeling?? Glad youre out of hospital and back on here Josh, slabbey kept us informed.
Ive never heard of that book, is it good?
Im reading a book called "Run like the wind" by Brian Flynn. About his journey through new age to the love of God and saving grace, its brilliant!!

Thanks for your concerns Porkchop. I'm feel much better and actually able to get out of the house and have some fun. Anyway, I really like that Wayne Grudem book and if you look at reviews at Amazon or any other book store, you'll find that probably 99% of the people would agree. I've never heard of that book you are reading but I'll be sure to keep my eyes peeled for it.

Sola*5

The Freudian fallacy: Freud and cocaine by E M Thornton. (A secular physchology book but most informative about the man behind much of todays pop physchology which is even used in so called Christian physchology).

Comfort in sorrow by R.M. McCheyne

Visions of heaven and hell by John bunyan also Journey to hell or The life and death of mr badman by John bunyan the same book goes by those two different titles.

And almost anything by Spurgeon too.