• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rebuilding a Polytheistic Context

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
When we have religious or mystical experiences, we interpret them based on the cultural context we've grown up with. It doesn't take much awareness of discourses of religion in countries like America to notice they're essentially dominated by two points of view - (Protestant) Christianity and the rejection thereof (usually called atheism). That's our cultural context. Even within the Pagan community, people struggle with the idea of polytheism and internalizing it in meaningful ways. It's a context that is missing from our culture because it was deliberately eradicated hundreds of years ago in the West.

How do we bring that context back? How do we begin to think like polytheists again? What are some things you've done that have been helpful getting you into a polytheistic mindset?

(Note - I put this outside of a DIR because there's no single DIR on our forums that encompasses all polytheistic religions. The topic probably applies a bit more to contemporary Polytheism/Paganism in the West; the East was to a large extent able to avoid the cultural/ethnic genocide that happened against polytheism)

PureX

Veteran Member
I jumped over polytheism and went strait on to taoism. So for me, I see no reason to "bring back polytheism", or to irradiate monotheism (or visa-versa). People should choose whichever god-concepts work best for them.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Pardon, perhaps this wasn't clear in the OP - this thread is intended for people who either identify as polytheists or who are at least interested in polytheism as a way of interpreting their religious experiences. Those who see "no reason" to be polytheist need not respond. This is not the thread for you.

WalterTrull

Godfella
Not sure I get the point. If I say that 2 + 2 = 5 and you say 2 + 2 = 6 and someone else says 2 + 2= 7, why do we need to embrace all the sentiments. We know who is right in our hearts.

WalterTrull

Godfella
Pardon, perhaps this wasn't clear in the OP - this thread is intended for people who either identify as polytheists or who are at least interested in polytheism as a way of interpreting their religious experiences. Those who see "no reason" to be polytheist need not respond. This is not the thread for you.
Oops. Sorry :oops:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Oops. Sorry :oops:

Nah, it's cool. Partly my bad for not putting it in a DIR, but like I said in the OP, polytheism cuts across several DIRs and I didn't want to exclude our resident Hindus from the discussion... especially because I think they'll have a lot to add to it for us relative newbies to polytheism. :D

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
If you will indulge me for giving opinions on a cause that I do not really adhere to, I want to offer a few suggestions, @Quintessence

One is that it may well be a mistake to focus so much on the matter of "quantity" of deities. Divinity is, after all, supposed to be transcendental, and that ought to include transcendence of number. And religious experiences are IMO meant to be about the manifestation of principles and ideals. As such, they are highly personal and perhaps meant to be so.

One common theme in monotheisms, which I do not claim to understand, is that it is somehow important to believe in the one true God. But fixating on that idea serves little purpose beyond creating an unnecessary, non-constructive doubt about how genuine a given god-conception would be.

Polytheism, it seems to me, takes a decisively different approach (and reaps very different benefits from it). It embraces variety of forms for the Sacred, and enables its adherents to learn from contrasting, differing manifestations. That is a precious resource, to be treasured and valued. Besides, it just plain works better for many people than an often culturally-pressured insistence on monotheism would.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
When we have religious or mystical experiences, we interpret them based on the cultural context we've grown up with. It doesn't take much awareness of discourses of religion in countries like America to notice they're essentially dominated by two points of view - (Protestant) Christianity and the rejection thereof (usually called atheism). That's our cultural context. Even within the Pagan community, people struggle with the idea of polytheism and internalizing it in meaningful ways. It's a context that is missing from our culture because it was deliberately eradicated hundreds of years ago in the West.

How do we bring that context back? How do we begin to think like polytheists again? What are some things you've done that have been helpful getting you into a polytheistic mindset?

(Note - I put this outside of a DIR because there's no single DIR on our forums that encompasses all polytheistic religions. The topic probably applies a bit more to contemporary Polytheism/Paganism in the West; the East was to a large extent able to avoid the cultural/ethnic genocide that happened against polytheism)

It didn't seem that difficult to me. Total immersion maybe. It was easy to feel a relationship with the wind or a oak tree. Druidic rituals seemed designed to enhance/encourage a awareness of the mystical. Lots of stores, information, support for polytheism in my area. Maybe that's just Calif.

Polytheism seemed to me more uh... "natural" ;) than Christianity to me even though I was raised a Christian. Christianity seems kind of sterile in comparison.

Rituals, lore, symbols, prayer...

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
How do we bring that context back?
For me it was realizing the Elohim are not like EL (Isaiah 46:9)...

So the Divine Beings (Elohim) created reality; which we also find in Hinduism & Zoroastrianism as well.

Within each religion, these Divine Beings have unique names that define the qualities of the God Most High (EL Elyon/CPU)....

So we can look at many ancient cultures, like Greeks, Romans, where they were expressing aspects of life that should be celebrated, and defining these as different Divine Beings.
How do we begin to think like polytheists again?
We can celebrate the diversity of religious representatives, as different Elohim that have descended to different cultures.
What are some things you've done that have been helpful getting you into a polytheistic mindset?
Having a concept called 0neness, where all the divine is one; yet is made of many unique parts....

Studying many different religions, and see many were claiming to be avatars.

In my opinion. :innocent:

Last edited:

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
The biggest challenge that I've faced is rebuilding that context to others. Typically monotheists. When I tell my parents (or any other Christian) "Your god..." the confused reply that I inevitably get is "What do you mean 'my god'? He's everyone's god." For myself, I've never had a problem with my polytheistic views. I think some of what helped that was growing up Catholic; we already had multiple saints - which essentially serve variety functions like many polytheistic deities. That, and I always took the Trinity as a measure of polytheism (rather than the strict monotheism that's insisted upon.) Add to that an entire childhood of growing up with Greek and Norse mythology, and the concept of various gods and "other people's gods" is no strange idea to me.

GoodbyeDave

It's very difficult for monotheists to get their heads around polytheism. Why do you think that the people who designed this site scattered polytheists all over the place?

It's still a problem for many converts. Why else do so many neo-pagans feel the need to have a "patron god"? As Raven Kaldera says, they have a little subconscious anxiety that being a frank polytheist is like promiscuity! Then there are the Westerners who adopt their own interpretation of some foreign faith, like the poster who "jumped over polytheism"; he evidently has never seen a Daoist temple!

That's why I'm always doubtful about "free-range" or "cafeteria" paganism. If you pick an established religion, whether Shinto or Asatru, you can immerse yourself in the associated culture and hope it washes off some of the Christianity!

Apologes

Who "eradicated" polytheism and why do you presume it has something to offer that would make it worth bringing back?

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Who "eradicated" polytheism and why do you presume it has something to offer that would make it worth bringing back?
1.) If you're questioning the eradication of polytheism, why ask a reason why it needs "brought back"?
2.) Why are you questioning polytheism in the Polytheism DIR?
3.) As (I assume) a monotheist, why are you in the Polytheism DIR?

As to what Polytheism has to offer, that would be freedom from the burdening contradiction that is monotheism. Or, at least from the contradictions introduced when trying to maintain a mono-deity that is omnipotent, omnipresent, and most importantly omnibenevolent. The mountain is not the same as the ocean, and polytheism recognizes this.

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

Not what this thread is about. Feel free to take your subtle digs against polytheism elsewhere in a new thread in a debate area. I'm more than sick and tired of anti-polytheistic prejudice, and I'm not going to indulge it in this thread.

@The Ragin Pagan - this isn't a DIR. It's not governed by DIR rules. We don't have a Polytheism DIR, but I do ask people stay on topic. :D

syo

As to what Polytheism has to offer, that would be freedom from the burdening contradiction that is monotheism. Or, at least from the contradictions introduced when trying to maintain a mono-deity that is omnipotent, omnipresent, and most importantly omnibenevolent. The mountain is not the same as the ocean, and polytheism recognizes this.
Exactly.
''The mountain is not the same as the ocean, and polytheism recognizes this'' you said it all.

EverChanging

I fall into the non-realist camp, but I am a polytheist intellectually, and to some extent I am a polytheist in practice.

One thing that has been helpful to me in constructing my heretical theology is process theology. Process theology as I understand it views even the Abrahamic God as being a part of the world, one being among many beings and things.

This is quite different from theologies that posit that God is so transcendent that he is a "no-thing" because there is not anything that can be compared to him. He is outside of the universe and only interacts with the universe via his "energies."

I also do not view the Abrahamic God as omnipotent, nor does process theology, though I do see him as benevolent -- at least, the version of him I work with. (There are multiple versions of Yahweh that a polytheist might accommodate as being distinct Yahweh's.)

By taking this theological perspective it is not difficult to envision other divine powers besides Yahweh, especially since some of the scriptures acknowledge this. Belief in Yahweh likely began in a polytheistic context.

This is how I've been able to accommodate polytheism coming from an Abrahamic background for what its worth. A couple of my Christian theologian friends are somewhere on a polytheistic spectrum as well, but not quite. My perspective on this might be a way forward for some who continue to work with Abrahamic deities.

In my own context I've been able to work with saints traditional and non-traditional as deities in their own right, and I'm also open to deities from pop culture and other non-traditional sources. Some of my deities come from my own experience and not from any other lore, myth, or culture. So, that's how I've moved into it.

To bring back a polytheistic context and polytheistic thinking I think we're going to need to think creatively. I think a truly polytheistic mindset would not confine gods to ancient mythology or cultures. New gods are being born and created all the time! Old gods can take on new guises. I'm not saying we shouldn't look to ancient cultures or deities -- obviously my Abrahamic background is still a part of what I do -- but that we should also be open to modern gods originating within our own cultural context.

And we can look to ourselves for inspiration! One of my favorite gods/saints who has been such a great help for me is one I wrote my own proto-myth for. Write your own stories, your own "lore" and "myths" and see if a god doesn't show up! I'd wager that with enough effort and practice one will.

We really can own a polytheism rooted in our own culture even while we also take inspiration from older gods and culture. I think ancient polytheists would have been open to this kind of creative imagining and thinking.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I've heard a bit here and there about process theology, @EverChanging . What is your recommended reading for someone interested in learning more about it?

EverChanging

I've heard a bit here and there about process theology, @EverChanging . What is your recommended reading for someone interested in learning more about it?

I have to admit some of it goes over my head, and I take inspiration from process theology rather than identifying myself with it entirely, but there is a little book online here. I also love this take on the real presence in the Eucharist from a process theological point of view.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

The easiest way for me to explain my polytheistic mindset, and how I explained it to my Christian wife; there is a plurality apparent within life and the universe, so how are there not multiple Gods, like there are trees, or grasses?

wellwisher

In many ways, the gods of polytheism and monotheism are a projection of how the firmware of the brain; operating system of the brain, that defines human nature, is organized. Polytheism is more about looking at all the various firmware parts, whereas monotheism is more conscious of the inner self, which controls and integrates the firmware. It is the same thing from two angles.

The easiest way for me to explain my polytheistic mindset, and how I explained it to my Christian wife; there is a plurality apparent within life and the universe, so how are there not multiple Gods, like there are trees, or grasses?

In terms of a biological parallel, the scientific cataloging of life, starts with a larger classification, such as trees. It then breaks this down into the various types of trees. Polytheism looks at the various subclasses, within the class, whereas monotheism focuses on the class, itself. Both are looking at the same thing, but from a different angle.

As a parallel in science, the various orientations of psychology are analogous to rational polytheism. Each orientation targets an aspect of human nature; motivation, but few orientations deal with all aspects, at the same time. For example, Freud fixated on sex, which is only one of many motivations behind humans. Jung dealt with the archetypes of collective unconscious; firmware. His approach was closer to rational monotheism. However, this is less popular compared to rational polytheism.

The philosophical problem in Psychology is connected to there being no single consensus definition for consciousness, causing this central concept to remain a dissociated concept; rational polytheism. Freud would have worshiped Aphrodite; goddess of love and sex. Others; clients, who also worship this same goddess; obsessed with sex, but whose felt the goddess was not with them, would seek council from one of her priests or priestesses.

The way the two are connected is via the left and right sides of the brain. The left brain is differential and differentiates the details of reality. The right brain is more spatial and integrates reality. Polytheism was useful to help early humans develop the left brain. Polytheism helped everyone notice the details of nature; via the nature spirits. This was needed for civilization. Once the left brain details were set; gathering data, then it was time, for some cultures, to integrated the data. This was a return to the right brain. Science is not yet right brain, but still remains left brain; rational polytheism. It has collected more data, than it has right brain ways to integrate this data with single unified theory.

When I first became interested in psychology and started to explore my own brain, so I could observe the firmware and its details, the left brain process of differentiation, unknowingly broke up the integration, in favor of looking at the parts. This caused a dissociative affect to my personalty. An analogy is walking while thinking in terms of all the muscle groups used to walk. What would happen is the natural fluid motion would start to get jerky; robotic, due to ego consciousness impacting the smooth integrated operation by trying to think about it and thereby sequence it to the pace of the conscious thought.

It is sort of like taking a motor apart to see who it works. The result was a bunch of parts; polytheism, with a motor that no longer worked properly as a unit. I could see all the parts, but they were no longer meshed as before I began. This is the pitfall of going to polytheism, if one already started with monotheism.

Luckily, the brain; inner self, will self assemble the parts, creating a new type of motor assembly. If one is interested in the integration of parts, the union of parts is outlined is in a very complex book, by Carl Jung, called Mysterious Conjunctions or the mystical union. The symbolism of polytheism; archetypes, help to reassemble itself in terms of a natural hierarchy. This took months and was a lot of work.

Last edited: