• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reasons to be a Skeptic – Not an Atheist

Mickdrew

I have never much cared for the label “atheism”. This is not just because of the baggage and connotations that come with it, but also because, as many have argued, it is a label that describes a negative. If we labelled ourselves just on what we did not believe, we’d be weighed down with having to call ourselves “A-communists” or “a-murderers” (not to equate those as being the same, of course). These labels should be used to affirm something about ourselves, not simply exclude certain positions.

Having pondered over this, I’ve concluded that “skeptic” is truly the best way to describe the very essence of scientific naturalism. Prior suggestions by other New Atheists such as “brights” does little inform others where people stand (in addition to being very condescending), whereas naming yourself a skeptic perfectly encompasses the heart of our position.

We are always on our toes when it comes to holding “faith” in something, and we do not submit to an unquestioning authority. We question basic assumptions, and make sure our conclusions are based on evidence and logic. It is of course true that faith plays a role in our outlook on life (by being optimistic, looking ahead, hoping for happiness etc.). We are all evolved primates, after all, and can never completely escape our irrational tendencies. All we can do is put in the effort to compensate for them. This is something which still clearly separates us from the great majority of religions, where not showing faith or questioning ultimate authority is seen as a threat.

The easiest example to show this is with Abraham being told by God to sacrifice his son. At the very last moment when Abraham is about to perform the sacrifice, God sends an angel to stay his hand, and the potential murderer is praised for his faith. Now, any skeptical mind can see that this is an immoral and wicked story. The main point here is not simply to murder, it is actually more sinister than that: it advocates complete servility. “Obey me without question. If I ask you to kill your own family, you must do so without hesitation” – these words jump right off the page. Religious apologists always counter this by pointing out that God stopped Abraham from performing the act. God is benevolent, after all, and would never allow something so evil to actually take place.

Despite this objection, the yoke of evil within this story remains unbroken. God’s benevolence or malevolence is not what makes this immoral; it is Abraham’s obedience. Even though murdering his son is counter to what a benevolent God would want, the story is saying that Abraham should still be willing to perform the act. He has to actually have the will in his heart to do this in order for his faith to be validated – which is the purpose of this.

I hope anyone reading is skeptical enough to know how immoral this is. If you do not, then consider any mentally ill person who hears such voices in their head claiming to be God. As a student of Criminology, I can ensure you that there are more than a handful of murder cases where this exact thing happens. The parent is suffering from an undiagnosed mental illness, and hears a voice claiming to be God telling them to kill their children. Now, according to this story in the Bible, any person of faith who hears of this murder case cannot believe the parent’s willingness to kill children because of faith was wrong. It is tragic that it was not actually God commanding it (and was thus not there to stop the parent at the last moment), but the willingness to obey this evil command was not the issue. In the same way that Abraham would’ve killed his son if no one interfered, this parent has shown the same faith by killing their child - so says the honest religious person.

All counter arguments to this are unsatisfactory. The idea that “the parent should’ve known it was a false God” or “we’d know through God’s divine grace if he was really speaking to us” are not enough. Not only does this assume the act wasn’t commanded by God (something which may never be completely impossible for someone religious), but it also tries to have it both ways by defending a story which demands complete obedience to God’s word – except in those cases where you should be skeptical. After all, if the person knew it was the true God and knew that God is benevolent, and then there would be no need to “prove your faith” to begin with because the person would never believe the act was going to happen. The story of Abraham clearly tells us that obedience to God’s word should override all skepticism.

Are you starting to realize how faith can twist you into believing blatantly evil things? No reasonable person would ever consider this line of thinking as moral, nor would they approve of mental gymnastics to excuse these lessons as justified. Any sane person listening to an attempt at justifying this should respond by incredulously asking “Are you serious?”

So a person of faith must ask themselves: is God asking for children to be killed, or is this more likely the result of mental illness? If you say the latter, then it must be asked: wouldn’t it also be more likely that Abraham was mentally ill?

This example shows clearly what separates skeptics from religious obedience. Indeed, the word “Islam” itself can be translated as “submission”. Skeptics such as myself hold a very firm position: were it not for these calls for faith and obedience to a divine ruler, most would see that religious dogma is unreasonable. We now live in a world where robust scientific explanations are plentiful. Merely letting go of our religious biases and embracing these tested and proven discoveries quickly reveal an absence of God in the universe (or the lack of a necessity to impose one, at the very least).

This also works well to counter those that point to Stalin or Mao Zedong as examples of atheistic evil. “These men abandoned religion,” The apologists proclaims, “and they went on to kill millions of people. This shows the danger of abandoning God’s word.” No, it shows the danger of humans as ultimate authority instead of a religion. The lesson here is not to abandon skepticism, but to underline it. Submission to a dictator is as dangerous as submission to a God – and both have caused many deaths. The beauty of labeling yourself as a “skeptic” is that you are not defending every atheist good or bad, but a mindset that always searches for evidence and uses logic rather than faith and servitude.

My position is that the moment you apply a bit of skepticism and not fall into the demands that you be afraid or cower; that’s the moment you realize that the emperor has no clothes (whether the emperor is religion or a dictator). This is not a triumph of atheism; it is a triumph of skepticism. Critical thinking is a virtue to us, and to think freely and without restraint is our paradise. Nothing in this world is beyond being questioned, because no one in this world is perfect – that not only goes for the people we question, but also to ourselves. Since we are all imperfect, we must try to be as skeptical as we can.

Apologies for the length.
Thoughts? Opinions?
What value do you see in religious obedience?

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not sure what to say.

I've read so many things like this before. By the end of it I can only sigh and wonder when the people writing these things will address religions more broadly instead of habits particular to certain religions that are neither necessary nor intrinsic. Or when someone will write something like this that actually applies to me, or religions like mine.

I suppose until that happens, I'll shrug, sigh again, and say "well, you people who feel like shredding this caricature of certain traditions of Christianity and Islam have fun with this one... I'm gonna go plant some trees and do Druid things."

:deciduous::evergreen::herb::palmtree:

Mickdrew

I've read so many things like this before. By the end of it I can only sigh and wonder when the people writing these things will address religions more broadly instead of habits particular to certain religions that are neither necessary nor intrinsic. Or when someone will write something like this that actually applies to me, or religions like mine.
Unless you're saying that faith and obedience is not a major part of your religion, then I don't understand what your meaning is.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Well hey, if both of ya'll are are already skeptics, then this doesn't apply to you :)
A skeptic is just someone who questions things before accepting or rejecting them. I hope everyone is a skeptic. It would be irrational to believe mutually contradictory things if you didn't reject some things. My problem is that you are too much equating skepticism with atheism.

Mickdrew

A skeptic is just someone who questions things before accepting or rejecting them. I hope everyone is a skeptic. It would be irrational to believe mutually contradictory things if you didn't reject some things. My problem is that you are too much equating skepticism with atheism.
If I've equated skeptics with atheists, then the title of this thread is a curious choice.

I would argue that disbelief in a God is a natural result of skepticism, but there are plenty of atheists who disbelieve for a different reason.

George-ananda

Premium Member
I would argue that disbelief in a God is a natural result of skepticism, but there are plenty of atheists who disbelieve for a different reason.
OK, and also one, such as myself, can also be a skeptic and a theist (actually pantheist in my case).

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I suppose until that happens, I'll shrug, sigh again, and say "well, you people who feel like shredding this caricature of certain traditions of Christianity and Islam have fun with this one... I'm gonna go plant some trees and do Druid things."

Actually, Quin., I tried debating the nature of the god(s) of other religions here on RF and either the definitions of the said gods where "not literal" (reflecting on the religious experiences with the christian's literal view rather than their own) so they were too broad to even ask what or who the gods were or you guys rather talk within your own circles rather than be challenged by outsiders.

Another reason for the high focus on the abraham-focus-conversation (AFC) is that abrahamics have a concrete definition of their gods to talk about. They also are so hard pressed to "promote" their beliefs that to challenge them is to understand their line of thinking rather than prove them right or wrong.

Other god-believers have pluralist views, liberal views and definitions like "cosmos" and "consciousness" that how can one challenge god(s) like that when they aren't well defined outside of the mind of the believer?

Another reason AFC are highly seen here, in my opinion, is that people who are not abrahamics have such high experiences with their former christian beliefs, that to be challenged about their current god leads to a reflection of what their god is NOT rather than what their god is.

Then others avoid the question all together and say "god=object/person of worship" leaving the questioner lost as to why the believer has only one faith if god is defined so broadly that they are essentially believing in all at the same time.

Lastly, a lot of believers who are not hard Polytheist, hard Hindu, whatever, are pretty pluralist. In that respect, how can you debate other people's gods when they don't see their own beliefs as a fact rather than one fact of many facts even though they contradict each other? In other words, many pluralist probably know their beliefs contradict with others but for an outsider, they are only considered beliefs really and it makes it have a new age feel that believing in anything would be "true" since nothing cancels out each other.

If we want less AFC, non abrahamics could have a more concrete definition of god(s). If that's not possible, because some religions are, by their nature, not made that way, but... one thing they could do is stand up for what they believe and say "What I believe is true" and let themselves be challenged because as long as you have beliefs and feel everyone has their own truths, how would we expect less AFCs discussed when the nature of the gods outside of AFCs are experiences but not real enough to discuss as facts?

Many people who challenge other peoples faiths in AFC do so because the Abrahamics see their beliefs as facts. So there is concrete grounds (like the bible) to base their arguments on. If non abrahamics don't have concrete grounds, of course the conversation would be less on non AFCs.

Plus, former abrahamic experiences contribute to more AFCs as well, of course. So the best we can do is learn about Abrahamics point of view and hopefully we have freedom to let them, if they want, and outsiders ask us about our beliefs too since I assume we believe what we do is fact not fiction.

Last edited:

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member

Or when someone will write something like this that actually applies to me, or religions like mine.

I

Why would I bother? You don't preach and your beliefs don't hold cultural or political power. As far as I can see the only reason to consider a god belief or any reason to believe in one stems from the words and experiences of other humans.

Iti oj

Premium Member
Actually, Quin., I tried debating the nature of the god(s) of other religions here on RF and either the definitions of the said gods where "not literal" (reflecting on the religious experiences with the christian's literal view rather than their own) so they were too broad to even ask what or who the gods were or you guys rather talk within your own circles rather than be challenged by outsiders.

Another reason for the high focus on the abraham-focus-conversation (AFC) is that abrahamics have a concrete definition of their gods to talk about. They also are so hard pressed to "promote" their beliefs that to challenge them is to understand their line of thinking rather than prove them right or wrong.

Other god-believers have pluralist views, liberal views and definitions like "cosmos" and "consciousness" that how can one challenge god(s) like that when they aren't well defined outside of the mind of the believer?

Another reason AFC are highly seen here, in my opinion, is that people who are not abrahamics have such high experiences with their former christian beliefs, that to be challenged about their current god leads to a reflection of what their god is NOT rather than what their god is.

Then others avoid the question all together and say "god=object/person of worship" leaving the questioner lost as to why the believer has only one faith if god is defined so broadly that they are essentially believing in all at the same time.

Lastly, a lot of believers who are not hard Polytheist, hard Hindu, whatever, are pretty pluralist. In that respect, how can you debate other people's gods when they don't see their own beliefs as a fact rather than one fact of many facts even though they contradict each other? In other words, many pluralist probably know their beliefs contradict with others but for an outsider, they are only considered beliefs really and it makes it have a new age feel that believing in anything would be "true" since nothing cancels out each other.

If we want less AFC, non abrahamics could have a more concrete definition of god(s). If that's not possible, because some religions are, by their nature, not made that way, but... one thing they could do is stand up for what they believe and say "What I believe is true" and let themselves be challenged because as long as you have beliefs and feel everyone has their own truths, how would we expect less AFCs discussed when the nature of the gods outside of AFCs are experiences but not real enough to discuss as facts?

Many people who challenge other peoples faiths in AFC do so because the Abrahamics see their beliefs as facts. So there is concrete grounds (like the bible) to base their arguments on. If non abrahamics don't have concrete grounds, of course the conversation would be less on non AFCs.

Plus, former abrahamic experiences contribute to more AFCs as well, of course. So the best we can do is learn about Abrahamics point of view and hopefully we have freedom to let them, if they want, and outsiders ask us about our beliefs too since I assume we believe what we do is fact not fiction.
This is a good post

Iti oj

Premium Member
OK, and also one, such as myself, can also be a skeptic and a theist (actually pantheist in my case).
I didn't know you considered your self. A skeptic. Considering some of the other beliefs you hold I'm surprised. Why do you consider your self a skeptic?

George-ananda

Premium Member
IMO, skepticism properly and consistently applied results in atheism.
IMO, skepticism lets us accurately judge the likelihood of things being claimed. I think a skeptical analysis can lead one (such as myself) to a pantheistic world view as being the most reasonable view out there. All one can ever claim is what view becomes the most reasonable to hold after a skeptical review of all the evidence and argumentation. We judge reasonableness on things not provable as that is what makes us logical thinking beings.

George-ananda

Premium Member
I didn't know you considered your self. A skeptic. Considering some of the other beliefs you hold I'm surprised. Why do you consider your self a skeptic?
From Wikipedia: Skepticism or scepticism is generally any questioning attitude or doubt towards one or more items of putative knowledge or belief.

The word 'Skeptic' has been hijacked in recent years by a group that is not really skeptical, but no-holds-barred defenders of atheist-materialism. A true skeptic is willing to go where the evidence takes him and is not the defender of a position. I think the hijacking of the word is what is causing your confusion. There is open-minded and closed-minded skepticism out there.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Someone who is a-communism has options for more pointed self-descriptors of sociopolitical ideology. Murder isn't itself an ideology or belief, though there's plenty of ideologies out there which have beliefs regarding murder.
More importantly, I think, theism tells us as little about a person's belief as atheism. There are a myriad of different kinds of theistic beliefs, some without any ideology attached. The purpose of the terms isn't to give more information other than if a person does or does not believe in god or gods. Then further clarification can be done with other terms. E.g. I am a ignostic agnostic atheistic apatheist consequentialist.
That may be a bit of a word Salad but it tells a lot more about me and my ideology than skeptic does, especially since most people believe they are skeptical in their own mind, in all ideological categories. I just can't see myself reducing my beliefs to one single term, so I don't. I use multiple terms in concert.

One of them is atheist.

Laika

Premium Member
I have never much cared for the label “atheism”. This is not just because of the baggage and connotations that come with it, but also because, as many have argued, it is a label that describes a negative. If we labelled ourselves just on what we did not believe, we’d be weighed down with having to call ourselves “A-communists” or “a-murderers” (not to equate those as being the same, of course). These labels should be used to affirm something about ourselves, not simply exclude certain positions.

Having pondered over this, I’ve concluded that “skeptic” is truly the best way to describe the very essence of scientific naturalism. Prior suggestions by other New Atheists such as “brights” does little inform others where people stand (in addition to being very condescending), whereas naming yourself a skeptic perfectly encompasses the heart of our position.

We are always on our toes when it comes to holding “faith” in something, and we do not submit to an unquestioning authority. We question basic assumptions, and make sure our conclusions are based on evidence and logic. It is of course true that faith plays a role in our outlook on life (by being optimistic, looking ahead, hoping for happiness etc.). We are all evolved primates, after all, and can never completely escape our irrational tendencies. All we can do is put in the effort to compensate for them. This is something which still clearly separates us from the great majority of religions, where not showing faith or questioning ultimate authority is seen as a threat.

The easiest example to show this is with Abraham being told by God to sacrifice his son. At the very last moment when Abraham is about to perform the sacrifice, God sends an angel to stay his hand, and the potential murderer is praised for his faith. Now, any skeptical mind can see that this is an immoral and wicked story. The main point here is not simply to murder, it is actually more sinister than that: it advocates complete servility. “Obey me without question. If I ask you to kill your own family, you must do so without hesitation” – these words jump right off the page. Religious apologists always counter this by pointing out that God stopped Abraham from performing the act. God is benevolent, after all, and would never allow something so evil to actually take place.

Despite this objection, the yoke of evil within this story remains unbroken. God’s benevolence or malevolence is not what makes this immoral; it is Abraham’s obedience. Even though murdering his son is counter to what a benevolent God would want, the story is saying that Abraham should still be willing to perform the act. He has to actually have the will in his heart to do this in order for his faith to be validated – which is the purpose of this.

I hope anyone reading is skeptical enough to know how immoral this is. If you do not, then consider any mentally ill person who hears such voices in their head claiming to be God. As a student of Criminology, I can ensure you that there are more than a handful of murder cases where this exact thing happens. The parent is suffering from an undiagnosed mental illness, and hears a voice claiming to be God telling them to kill their children. Now, according to this story in the Bible, any person of faith who hears of this murder case cannot believe the parent’s willingness to kill children because of faith was wrong. It is tragic that it was not actually God commanding it (and was thus not there to stop the parent at the last moment), but the willingness to obey this evil command was not the issue. In the same way that Abraham would’ve killed his son if no one interfered, this parent has shown the same faith by killing their child - so says the honest religious person.

All counter arguments to this are unsatisfactory. The idea that “the parent should’ve known it was a false God” or “we’d know through God’s divine grace if he was really speaking to us” are not enough. Not only does this assume the act wasn’t commanded by God (something which may never be completely impossible for someone religious), but it also tries to have it both ways by defending a story which demands complete obedience to God’s word – except in those cases where you should be skeptical. After all, if the person knew it was the true God and knew that God is benevolent, and then there would be no need to “prove your faith” to begin with because the person would never believe the act was going to happen. The story of Abraham clearly tells us that obedience to God’s word should override all skepticism.

Are you starting to realize how faith can twist you into believing blatantly evil things? No reasonable person would ever consider this line of thinking as moral, nor would they approve of mental gymnastics to excuse these lessons as justified. Any sane person listening to an attempt at justifying this should respond by incredulously asking “Are you serious?”

So a person of faith must ask themselves: is God asking for children to be killed, or is this more likely the result of mental illness? If you say the latter, then it must be asked: wouldn’t it also be more likely that Abraham was mentally ill?

This example shows clearly what separates skeptics from religious obedience. Indeed, the word “Islam” itself can be translated as “submission”. Skeptics such as myself hold a very firm position: were it not for these calls for faith and obedience to a divine ruler, most would see that religious dogma is unreasonable. We now live in a world where robust scientific explanations are plentiful. Merely letting go of our religious biases and embracing these tested and proven discoveries quickly reveal an absence of God in the universe (or the lack of a necessity to impose one, at the very least).

This also works well to counter those that point to Stalin or Mao Zedong as examples of atheistic evil. “These men abandoned religion,” The apologists proclaims, “and they went on to kill millions of people. This shows the danger of abandoning God’s word.” No, it shows the danger of humans as ultimate authority instead of a religion. The lesson here is not to abandon skepticism, but to underline it. Submission to a dictator is as dangerous as submission to a God – and both have caused many deaths. The beauty of labeling yourself as a “skeptic” is that you are not defending every atheist good or bad, but a mindset that always searches for evidence and uses logic rather than faith and servitude.

My position is that the moment you apply a bit of skepticism and not fall into the demands that you be afraid or cower; that’s the moment you realize that the emperor has no clothes (whether the emperor is religion or a dictator). This is not a triumph of atheism; it is a triumph of skepticism. Critical thinking is a virtue to us, and to think freely and without restraint is our paradise. Nothing in this world is beyond being questioned, because no one in this world is perfect – that not only goes for the people we question, but also to ourselves. Since we are all imperfect, we must try to be as skeptical as we can.

Apologies for the length.
Thoughts? Opinions?
What value do you see in religious obedience?

As an Atheist in the negative sense who doesn't mind the baggage and has had to compete for the label, If the other sceptics on the forum felt this way I'd be alot happier. :)