• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reasons for Neopaganism

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
What religion were you before you became a pagan?

What brought you specifically to paganism?

What tradition do you follow?

Why would anyone want to be pagan?

Who should and shouldn't be a pagan?

What is paganism about to you?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Sorry, I'm going to fix your lack of capitalization. Paganism in this context is referring to religion, and should absolutely be capitalized when spoken of in that fashion.

What religion were you before you became a Pagan?

If only that were a straightforward question. Depending on how one wants to spin the story, the answer is irreligious/atheist, personal religion, or Pagan. None of those answers by themselves tell the fully story. The simplest way to frame it is to say I was doing my own thing before I learned Paganism was a thing, and Paganism pretty much described what it was I was doing and helped me articulate it better.

What brought you specifically to Paganism?

Being a nerd. I was reading something for some assignment in college, and the word "pagan" (not capitalized as it should have been) was in there. It then occurred to me that in spite of having encountered that word before, I really didn't know what it meant. So I used a dictionary. The dictionary was useless, so then I used the internet. I found pages with that word in conjunction with something called "Wicca." That made me remember someone I had known in high school who said they were "Wiccan." I really liked and respected that person, but had no clue what "Wicca" was either. Kept digging from there. So yeah, the root reason really is that I'm a huge nerd who likes researching stuff... and when something piques my interest I don't stop.

My traditions are my own, but could be associated with Druidry, and in particular the Order of Bards, Ovates, and Druids (OBOD).

Why would anyone want to be Pagan?

Lots of reasons. As many as there are individuals. Based on the few academic studies I've run across about it, there are a few overarching themes, though. In general, people gravitate towards new/minority religious movements because they don't like something about whatever the mainstream religions are in their culture. That is certainly true with contemporary Paganism. In essence, many feel Paganism gets right what Christianity gets wrong. Sick of a priest speaking venom about how you are a sinner and hellbound? Well, we don't do that crap. Tired of organized religion that abuses its authority? Well, we're pretty darned disorganized (to a fault, really). Sick of religions that fail to address nature? Well, many of us are a bunch of hippie tree huggers. Annoyed at puritanical rhetoric about sex and drugs? We're pretty cool with that stuff. Find worshiping one god painfully limiting? Welcome to polytheism.

Who should and shouldn't be a Pagan?

Anyone who wants an easy, armchair religion. The model religion in my country is very creedal, meaning all you have to do is believe the "right things" and you are good. Paganism requires doing actual stuff. If you lack any self-motivation to be religious, stay away. You'd be wasting your time (or rather not investing the time needed in the first place).

What is Paganism about to you?

I'm not sure. I don't ask myself that question anymore, perhaps because I identify less as a Pagan nowadays than I do as a Druid. I mean, I guess I am technically a Pagan Druid (not all Druids are Pagan), but I think far more about what the Druid part means than the Pagan part. It is easier to wrap my head around what Druid means, so I'm afraid if I started thinking about what Pagan means, it would end up looking the same as what Druid means... which isn't quite right. *laughs*

Mister Silver

Faith's Nightmare
A question in reference to spiritual paganism that has nothing to do with religion, is it okay if I don't capitalize it then?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
A question in reference to spiritual paganism that has nothing to do with religion, is it okay if I don't capitalize it then?

I have to say I have never heard of "spiritual Paganism that has nothing to do with religion" and have no idea what that is. Paganism is a religion. Well, technically a religious movement that encompasses many different religions, but you get the idea. We have enough trouble securing religious freedom/rights in Abrahamic-dominated countries without people mucking this bit up. :sweat:

Basically, the only time I won't capitalize Paganism is when I'm talking about the usages of the word that I wish were not still a thing. For example, the word "pagan" is still used as a term to designate "outsider" or "atheist or non-believer in my particular religion or god." By extension, "pagan" is also still used as a snarl word, because outsiders are looked down upon in some way. Yeah, it's kinda sad that these usages are still a thing, but they are, so I shrug, use lower case, and move on.

Mister Silver

Faith's Nightmare
I have to say I have never heard of "spiritual Paganism that has nothing to do with religion" and have no idea what that is. Paganism is a religion. Well, technically a religious movement that encompasses many different religions, but you get the idea. We have enough trouble securing religious freedom/rights in Abrahamic-dominated countries without people mucking this bit up. :sweat:

Basically, the only time I won't capitalize Paganism is when I'm talking about the usages of the word that I wish were not still a thing. For example, the word "pagan" is still used as a term to designate "outsider" or "atheist or non-believer in my particular religion or god." By extension, "pagan" is also still used as a snarl word, because outsiders are looked down upon in some way. Yeah, it's kinda sad that these usages are still a thing, but they are, so I shrug, use lower case, and move on.

I wasn't always an atheist. I discovered paganism between Christianity and Atheism, but when I went for paganism I preferred it's spiritual aspects more than it's religious aspects. Not to mention the fact that there was never a historically ancient word for paganism. Paganism was the terminology created by the Christian movement. There was no official word for what we know today for pagans as they were back then. After all, ancient pagans did not call themselves pagan; we don't know what they called themselves.

I am still an atheist, but I identify most with what pagan spirituality has to offer to the world, which from my perspective is more than any man-made religion in the world. I am literally an atheist with a pagan twist. I have spent so many years quarreling with myself over whether I could be an atheist with pagan aspects, but someone through private messaging here has made me understand that it is possible.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I wasn't always an atheist. I discovered paganism between Christianity and Atheism, but when I went for paganism I preferred it's spiritual aspects more than it's religious aspects.

I'm afraid I don't understand what the distinction between those would be. Could you explain what those are to you?

(I don't adhere to the modern trend of divorcing "spiritual" from "religious" for various reasons, which we probably don't need to go into in this thread... haha)

Not to mention the fact that there was never a historically ancient word for paganism. Paganism was the terminology created by the Christian movement. There was no official word for what we know today for pagans as they were back then. After all, ancient pagans did not call themselves pagan; we don't know what they called themselves.

Yeah, that's certainly true. It's also true the word "religion" wasn't really a thing. It was just people's culture and way of life. I use the word "religion" to mean much the same thing. Christianity, for better or worse, has very much shaped the basic terminology we use to describe and study religion, theology, and the gods. Mostly for worse if you happen to be a Pagan. I read about stories on the Wild Hunt where Pagan groups are trying to get legal standings as religions in various parts of the world, and they get asked to provide a "sacred text" or other litmus tests inspired by Abrahamic religions. It's a problem for us, unfortunately.

I am still an atheist, but I identify most with what pagan spirituality has to offer to the world, which from my perspective is more than any man-made religion in the world. I am literally an atheist with a pagan twist. I have spent so many years quarreling with myself over whether I could be an atheist with pagan aspects, but someone through private messaging here has made me understand that it is possible.

Atheistic Paganism has certainly become a thing. I find it to be an oxymoron, but it becomes a thing whether I agree with it being a thing or not. Considering I find the entire "atheist vs theist" distinction to be vacuous in the first place, it's not something I tend to get in arguments with people about. :D

Mister Silver

Faith's Nightmare
I'm afraid I don't understand what the distinction between those would be. Could you explain what those are to you?

This quote sums it up nicely for me:
“Religion is belief in someone else's experience. Spirituality is having your own experience.”

Deepak Chopra

There are plenty of online links describing the difference between religion and spirituality.

7 Differences Between Religion And Spirituality
The 6 Fundamental Differences Between Religion and Spirituality
What is the Difference Between Religion and Spirituality?

Mister Silver

Faith's Nightmare

“Religion is belief in someone else's experience. Spirituality is having your own experience.”

Deepak Chopra

There are plenty of online links describing the difference between religion and spirituality.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Sorry, I'm going to fix your lack of capitalization. Paganism in this context is referring to religion, and should absolutely be capitalized when spoken of in that fashion.

This. The OP is referring to a proper, collective noun the same as when we talk about Christianity which is really an umbrella term for a lot of sects & denominations.

I was an atheist who had bouts of interest in Buddhism then in Daoist philosophy. The latter helped me realise I needed a religious system that was Nature-oriented and personal views which had been developing my increasing scepticism as to the efficacy of atheism led me to conclude that theism would suit me better.

A complete accident. I was Googling around trying to find out why Creative Assembly use the symbol for the Japanese Yen to represent Paganism in the Barbarian Invasion expansion of Rome: Total War. When I typed in my question (hoping for a hit on something like Total War Centre), one of the top results was the Pagan Federation website. I clicked it out of curiosity and that was where my journey started. I was shocked; I didn't know modern Pagans even existed.

I practice polytheism oriented around the Greek pantheon. I'm open to the veneration & worship of other gods and to the existence of spirits so I suppose I'm an animist as well.

Seems kind of churlish...

Because Paganism makes more sense to me as a way of looking at the world than monotheism or atheism. And because I believe the Pagan polytheist way of interpreting our relationship with the divine is far more healthy than the master-slave dynamic employed by the Abrahamic religions. If I weren't determined that polytheism makes sense I would probably have converted to either Buddhism or Zoroastrianism.

Who should be a Pagan? People who care about the world we live in; the environment, are conscious about building & maintaining relationships based on mutual respect, love & reciprocity; people who come to realise that the predominant religious narrative in much of the world doesn't make any sense and yearn for something better; people who love life and don't sit around pining away for some paradisical after-life where they spend eternity mindlessly singing their god's praises; people who want to leave the world a better place than they find it.

Who shouldn't be a Pagan? Racists & cultural purists who just want to manipulate or take advantage of belief systems & an idealised view of the cultures that inspired them for their own gain; people who want to be spoon-fed an orthodoxy that tells them what they believe; people who believe we're born inherently evil due to the crimes of some mythical ancestor; people who are only good because they believe they're being micro-managed or spied on by God; people who are so single-minded that they believe their way is the only way and everyone else ought to or even must follow it.

Paganism is about respecting & preserving nature, observing the natural cycles and shaping my religious practice around them. To me, Paganism is about acknowledging that we're alive now and marvelling at the fact. It's also about cultivating positive relationships with people, animals, spirits & gods which are mutually beneficial and are based on respect, reciprocity & love.

Mister Silver

Faith's Nightmare
Before I started on the path of paganism, I was a Christian who was reading the agnostic oratory works of Robert Green Ingersoll. At the time, I could not yet allow myself to discard religion for agnosticism or atheism, so I did some research online and found a book by Scott Cunningham called "Wicca: A Guide For the Solitary Practitioner". I originally called myself a Wiccan, then later I shed that title for pagan.

I dabbled a bit in high school, only because of the interest "The Craft" movie generated. I don't think I took it too seriously then, even though I started a coven and we tried to practice magic. It wasn't something that interested us for long, maybe only a couple of months, and then we went our separate ways. I went back to Christianity through a friend's insistence, and later after college I rediscovered paganism through Wicca.

For me, personally, I found a peace offered by Wicca that Christianity had simply not provided. The connection to nature aspect felt more real to me than any connection I had thought I felt toward god through Christianity.

I started as a dabbler, then later more seriously delved into Wicca, but in the end I found that being a solitary spiritual pagan was more my calling. I don't particularly believe in spells and magic(k) as being real, I don't believe in the existence of pagan deities, but I do have a deep connection to nature that I can never seem to ignore no matter how I try to shut it out with reason.

I cannot personally speak for anyone else. I imagine my reason for being a pagan does not precisely line up with the reason others follow the path of paganism, but I do imagine someone would want to be a pagan due to something in paganism that personally speaks to them that may be lacking in other religions or spiritual paths.

It is not my place to say who should or should not be a pagan.

Paganism, to me, is about a deeper connection to nature; that which we too often and more frequently ignore in an ever increasingly expanding concrete, skyscraper, and vehicular-toxic world that is destroying the very nature we should be preserving.

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

Deepak Chopra

Oh, I'm aware of the alleged differences, I just don't agree with any of it. It's a relatively recent phenomena, and largely a product of particular religions enjoying a cultural hegemony and therefore setting a standard for what "religion" looks like in a way that is extremely biased.
I mean, by a standard like this, a large number of religions are not religions, including contemporary Paganism. Which, by extension, puts Pagans in a very uncomfortable place with respect to religious freedom and legal rights (aka, we can be denied any and all rights at will). That problem is a major reason why I call poppycock on the modern trend.

But... I'm gonna leave it there, because I will totally slide into a debate about this topic, and this isn't a debate area... haha. :D

I'm still not sure that really helped me get what you see as the "spiritual" parts of Paganism and the "religious" parts. By this, it sounds like Paganism as a religion is straight up a nonexistent thing to you?

Mister Silver

Faith's Nightmare
I'm still not sure that really helped me get what you see as the "spiritual" parts of Paganism and the "religious" parts. By this, it sounds like Paganism as a religion is straight up a nonexistent thing to you?

Not at all. What makes paganism spiritual for me is that I can accept the framework message it provides while understanding that what makes it a religion is more an adherence to deities and a worship of nature. What those deities represent, even though I disbelieve in them, is still metaphorically relevant to me. I find myself affected emotionally by nature, but I don't revere it. I am not certain how else to explain it, but something tells me you are you not going to fully understand my perspective. And that is okay, you not understanding it does not make it less relevant to me. Of course, also if you don't understand me, I might not be explaining things properly.

Last edited:

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Eh, why not.

What religion were you before you became a Pagan?

I was raised Christian.

What brought you specifically to Paganism?

It began with the forging of the Great Rings... Oh, wait, wrong prologue.

My break from Christianity began when I had several questions related to the dogma and doctrines, and was essentially told "Shut up and believe." So I sought answers on my own, studying critically, and eventually drifted towards Agnosticism for a time. I honestly couldn't say what pulled me to Paganism specifically, short of direction from several gods.

I am a member of Heathenry (a Heathen), which is the branch of Paganism that covers Northern Europe and - depending on who you ask - Slavic countries. This includes Germanic, Anglo-Saxon, and Scandinavian Paganism.

Why would anyone want to be Pagan?

You'll get as many answers as there are Pagans. For myself, I want to be a Pagan to honor the gods of my ancestry (cultural, not direct family line). The values of Heathenry have helped me to better myself, and to rely more on what I can do, rather than promises of a next life or some such transference of responsibility.

Who should and shouldn't be a Pagan?

Anyone who is serious about the religions, and respects the cultures that live through them, would do well to look into Paganism. Anyone who thinks that it's like Harry Potter or some such fantasy game should not.

What is Paganism about to you?

To me, Paganism is about honoring and continuing the native beliefs and customs of pre-Christian Europe. It's about living with the Earth, not just on her, and celebrating the many cycles that our seasons go through. It's also about family, clan, and the lands that we call home.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Okay, I'll play too...

I was raised liberal Christian, had a born-again experience when I was in 7th grade, moved back and forth between a sort of animism akin to Native American beliefs and practices and Christianity. After a particularly terrifying experience, I tried to be a good Christian for awhile, but eventually I shifted on to atheism/agnosticism...or 'skepticism' perhaps covers it better.

Eventually, I realized that my experiences all through life had been pagan, and that was the perspective I should be practicing. A few years ago I discovered that there is a new animism out there, which resonates deeply with me.

none. I'm a solitary eclectic practitioner. Although, my wife and I occasionally will do ritual together...it's too hot and dry for us to do a fire for solstice, for example, but we'll probably do one once the weather changes, predicted by the Weather Underground to be next Wednesday.

I can't speak for anyone but me. I am a pagan, an animist, because that is what I am and how I experience the world. Why should I want to be anything else? (Hint: I've tried various other alternatives, and found them unsatisfactory...)

I can't speak for anyone but me.

Not burying my experiences in all kinds of boxes created and dictated by others.

Araceli Cianna

I was raised Christian, went through a discontented phase where I explored Luciferianism, became comfortable in New Age for a few years, then reconverted to Christianity for a little while, and now I'm pagan.

I don't really follow any tradition. I'm eclectic I think. My Patron deity is Diana so I relate a lot to the Dianic tradition and consider myself a part of it, but other deities enjoy working with me too (including Jesus... lol).

I think Paganism is amazing, it's so free and inclusive, it revers the earth, humanity, and all life, and can easily integrate with science. There are no doctrine wars, there's no religious legality, for me it just makes me feel connected to everything and everyone around me. It's an enchanting way of interacting with the world.

I think that if you're spiritually liberal but don't want all the fluffiness of new age, paganism is for you. There are no rules, you just do you. You can join a community, train, or work and learn solo through books and practice.