1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Reason you left

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by Jimmy, May 1, 2021.

1. Conscious thoughts

Conscious thoughts Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +10,435
    Religion:
    Osmanli Nakshibedi Way, Sufism
    Thank you :)

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  2. Jimmy

Jimmy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +798
    Yeah reality has a way of wakin one up

3. Conscious thoughts

Conscious thoughts Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +10,435
    Religion:
    Osmanli Nakshibedi Way, Sufism
    The reality check is like getting a hammer smacked in your face :oops:

4. Twilight Hue

Twilight Hue The gentle embrace of twilight has become my guide

Ratings:
    +14,422
    Religion:
    Philosophical Buddhism
    It does. Not as comfortable either nor as satisfying, but there is a type of draw that reality offers that playing pretend simply cannot provide, and that is a solid footing and realizing ones place among something that defies even the imagination on its best day.

5. Trailblazer

Trailblazer Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +6,843
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    I never really left my religion, I just disassociated myself from it for a long time, almost 30 years. I would not say it was because of 1, 2, or 3, because I always retained belief in my religion and in God, I just fell away for personal reasons, as I was very busy in life with college and my career pursuits, and I also had many personal issues to resolve before I could feel worthy of calling myself a Baha'i.

I am still not involved in my religion as far as attending any Baha'i activities or working with others in my Baha'i community , but I do post to other Baha'is on forums and I have a good Baha'i friend who I e-mail and post to on this forum. My husband of 36 years is also a Baha'i and has been for about 55 years.

I tend to do my own thing but I would not say I follow my own spiritual path because I firmly believe that the spiritual path outlined by Baha'u'lah is the right path to tread. I just tend to walk alone because I am an introvert and because I am not enamored with organized religion and all their activities and practices.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. stvdv

stvdv Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +6,975
    Religion:
    Sanathana Dharma [The Eternal Religion]
    4: I leave a religious group if they impose their interpretation of the teaching on me OR if they show contempt otherwise by pretending that my belief is inferior and/or their belief is superior

7. blü 2

blü 2 Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,867
    Religion:
    Skeptical
    At about age 14 I found no one actually knew what they were talking about, which rather let all the magic out of the proceedings.

Later I worked out what magic is about, which both explained and confirmed.

8. Rival

Rival Ankh, Wedja, Seneb
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +27,758
    Religion:
    Kemetic Pagan
    It wasn't a religion and I wanted a religion.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Jimmy

Jimmy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +798
    Want is good

10. Unveiled Artist

Unveiled Artist You are safe

Ratings:
    +11,272
    Religion:
    Inner Child Healing
    At the core, I wouldn't say it's based on hate. For me, I never believed. So going into and falling out of belief had no emotional affect on me. No hate, just irrelevant to how I live and see reality.

I think many (not most...who knows) hate, I guess,their former religion's practitioners because of how They interpret and practice there doctrine. I'd assume based on RF there would only be a handful I can think of would not be christian regardless the people.

My question/puzzlement is why can't people not believe just to not believe?

Why does there need to be a fault (i.e. hate, ignorance, rejection, misunderstanding, etc) to come to their conclusion of disbelief?

To me those justifications from believers help the person making them. They feel better than just not understanding something so obvious.

However, what are they based on that it would be true?

11. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Rival's Wife

Ratings:
    +28,863
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    Ultimately, I left theism in general as I realized the reason I believed was its a comforting thing, and that's not a good enough reason.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Rival's Wife

Ratings:
    +28,863
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    Christianity I left as it was horrible for me. I was a Southern Baptist, on a path to become a pastor, I had a lot of inner turmoil, severe depression, I was tormented with dreams of going to hell, and things only kept getting worse. I wanted to die and prayed god would let it be. Getting educated outside of the highly insular world I was in started to crack my faith, as I learned so much of what I was taught was wrong. I turned to the Bible for guidance but the violence, genocide, rape, and other atrocities committed by god and those he ordered to commit them was another harsh blow to my faith. And my life kept getting worse.
    I still remember thinking to myself, making the choice between the god and church I had always known and what was up until then the only thing I really knew, amd putting that all behind me.
    Amd I found there is some truth to that idea of needing that religion and god for morality, because once I gave it up the uptight, prudish ways came to an abrupt end. I got into music like Pantera and White/Rob Zombie, started going to Ozzfest, started cussing, guilt free sexual thoughts and masturbation, and my personal library grew exponentially even as all the Christian stuff was discarded.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Thief

Thief Rogue Theologian

Ratings:
    +4,852
    there was an obvious headnodding to anything offered by those in cloth

blind faith

not for me

14. Clara Tea

Clara Tea Active Member

Ratings:
    +280
    They start by believing the bible.

Then they assume that pastors (educated) know more about the bible than they do.

Then they realize that pastors don't follow Jesus.

For example, Reverend Robert Schuller only allowed rich parishioners, and his son was recently photographed with booze in one arm, a scantily clad blonde woman in the other arm, and his pants down with his penis hanging out in public.

Another example is Reverend Jim Bakker and Tammy Fay Bakker, who stole donated money that should have helped starving Africans so that they could live in their mansion (in their lawyer's name).

After being disillusioned by pastor after pastor, they abandon the religion because they realize that it is not the path to heaven, but the path to hell (making war, torture camps, etc.).

15. Mestemia

Mestemia Advocatus Diaboli
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +13,292
    Religion:
    not a theist
    4. Other

16. Clara Tea

Clara Tea Active Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Have you considered marriage to a pastor who believes as you do?

17. firedragon

firedragon Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +2,942
    If you take globally, most conversions happen from one theology to another. Studies show a lot of findings. Per Capita GDP is one of the major correlations to conversion. So is intermarriage. So is communism. Causation is a huge issue to consider seriously because of Hawthorne effect in research.

18. RestlessSoul

RestlessSoul Active Member

Ratings:
    +406

From one dream to another

19. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Rival's Wife

Ratings:
    +28,863
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    No.