• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

really?

SugarOcean

¡pɹᴉǝM ʎɐʇS
I know mounted patrol officers in my home state. If they make an arrest and a transport isn't immediately available but the jail is close by, what are they suppose to do? One cannot allow a suspect to ride bareback behind the officer. That's a security risk.
Because this suspect was black this is suppose to imply racism on the cops behalf? No. If this suspect has been white it would have never made the news. The picture was taken by a child. Right.

And what about Christin Neely, Donald's sister-in-law? He's mentally ill and homeless, she said, and he often gets arrested for trespassing. Where's Christin Neely? Where's her family in all this/ Where's Donald's family? Why is Donald homeless, mentally ill, and getting repeatedly arrested for trespassing? Why doesn't someone in the family care for Donald? That's the real issue here. Not a picture of a police procedure, now done away with due to this image making news.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
They were thinking they didn't want to ride on a horse with a homeless mentally ill man that is unpredictable and probably stank to high heaven.
Whah? They're public servants. They can get over themselves if a stinky mentally ill person bothers them. You take the job, you take whatever it throws at you.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
They were doing what they were trained to do. I guess their training didn't take into consideration that Black folks have to be treated different than White folks.
Even the chief of police said they probably should have handled it differently.

Enoch07

Premium Member
Whah? They're public servants. They can get over themselves if a stinky mentally ill person bothers them. You take the job, you take whatever it throws at you.

You've never been on a horse have you?

If he was to be on the horse and did something to freak the horse out. It could be bad. Someone could get hurt or killed very easily.

siti

They were doing what they were trained to do. I guess their training didn't take into consideration that Black folks have to be treated different than White folks.
Have you seen any "white folks" handled in that manner by police?

We Never Know

No Slack
An image of horse-mounted policemen leading a handcuffed black man by what looks to be rope has gone viral.

https://www.complex.com/life/2019/08/galveston-police-apologize-horse-mounted-policemen-lead-black-man-leash

What were they thinking?

1. You don't want a cuffed man riding double behind you on your horse. He could fall and get injured too easily.
2. You don't want an uncuffed man riding double behind you on your horse. He could access your weapons too easily.
3. They were following training(which is now being changed).
4. They should have waited for a transport vehicle.

siti

If he was to be on the horse and did something to freak the horse out. It could be bad. Someone could get hurt or killed very easily.
Is the policeman not allowed to get down - and maybe - I don't know, stand with the suspect and the horse until transport arrives? I mean, I know they're not renowned for their intellect, but it doesn't seem to me that they chose the most sensible option here.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Never rode a horse. But I have transported stinky people with mental illnesses, one who was homeless. And the police chief said they could have waited for transport. Regardless the color, people shouldn't be paraded around like that.

SugarOcean

¡pɹᴉǝM ʎɐʇS
They were thinking they didn't want to ride on a horse with a homeless mentally ill man that is unpredictable and probably stank to high heaven.

Grow thicker skin, not everything is racism. Sheesh
It is likely against regulations to have a suspect ride on the horse. No saddle, and when they'd be behind the officer they'd have closer opportunity to reach for the officers gun.

Enoch07

Premium Member
Never rode a horse. But I have transported stinky people with mental illnesses, one who was homeless. And the police chief said they could have waited for transport. Regardless the color, people shouldn't be paraded around like that.

True they should have waited for transport. They apologized and admitted that much. But to shoot straight to the assumption it is racism shows the insanity that has infected this country and people are sick of it.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
True they should have waited for transport. They apologized and admitted that much. But to shoot straight to the assumption it is racism shows the insanity that has infected this country and people are sick of it.
That I have no arguments against. Certain types, such as PC libs, are getting carried away and themselves becoming racist with their judging a person not by character but by the color of their skin. I have no evidence to support this idea, but those who lump all white people together would probably see someone with a 1488 tattoo and miss what it is and think it's a year.
But, with this case, I'm noticing no one is noticing the cops where picking on a guy who apparently often gets arrested for trespassing. Which means the cops know he is mentally ill, know he is homeless, they still treat him like that, and though it fits with the trend of cops treating the homeless and mentally ill poorly, it's become entirely about race. Of course it also fits the trends of black people being mistreated, but really you can change the factors some and the outcome would likely be the same. It's poor police conduct all around.

SugarOcean

¡pɹᴉǝM ʎɐʇS
It's a symptom of Snowflake infection. And not just in America. Call someone a racist and it marginalizes them as a person and smears anything they have to say. It also by relationship smears their Republican party, since Democrats are fond of throwing the R word.

Last month there was an effort in Great Britain to classify Muslim as a race. I wouldn't doubt when AOC finds out about this she'll think it a good idea for America.
Britain's Back-Door Blasphemy Law

Enoch07

Premium Member
But, with this case, I'm noticing no one is noticing the cops where picking on a guy who apparently often gets arrested for trespassing.

I doubt they were picking on him. There is no evidence to support this.

Which means the cops know he is mentally ill, know he is homeless, they still treat him like that, and though it fits with the trend of cops treating the homeless and mentally ill poorly, it's become entirely about race.

Which is why they apologized and admitted they should have waited for transport.

. Of course it also fits the trends of black people being mistreated, but really you can change the factors some and the outcome would likely be the same. It's poor police conduct all around.

I think it's a difficult job. It's like trying to walk a high wire. Requires a lot of discipline and balance. Hard to always maintain when emotions are high and people are trying to hurt you because they don't want to be arrested.

I have a cop friend. He told me a story about pulling over a lady for speeding at 2 o'clock in the morning on the interstate. She immediately went into a rant about how he pulled her over because shes black. He calmly asked her to identify any of the other drivers race as they drove by on the pitch black hwy at 2 a.m. Of course she couldn't because you can't see into vehicles that time of night. But she still insisted she was being profiled and unfairly targeted because of her skin color.

People have gotten so used to using their victim cards it has become a crutch.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Yeah... The officer(s) in question definitely didn't stop to think about the optics. Even dismounting and walking both the man and the horse would have been far better. I don't think this warrants the officer being suspended or written up, but retraining and changing of protocols is definitely needed here.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I doubt they were picking on him. There is no evidence to support this.
Of course it's speculation, but nevertheless it fits the description of the trend of police mistreating those who are black, those who are mentally ill, and those who are homeless. They weren't out to protect and serve, they were there to humiliate and denigrate.