• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Really scratching my head about this one.please help.:(

Frank Goad

If you go out of body and want to talk to jesus and not some spirit guide(because i heard once spirit guides are demons in disguise).How do you do it?And how do you know it's jesus and not some spirit guide?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
You won't. There is no certainty when journeying in the otherworlds.

Also, who told you "spirit guides" are "demons in disguise?" You realize this is a theologically biased assessment of the phenomena, correct?

InChrist

Free4ever
If you go out of body and want to talk to jesus and not some spirit guide(because i heard once spirit guides are demons in disguise).How do you do it?And how do you know it's jesus and not some spirit guide?
Why are you participating in out of body experiences and why would you expect Jesus to converse with you when you are directly disobeying His Word by seeking spiritual encounters and experiences through occult practices?

Frank Goad

Because i prayed to Jesus to send me a vision to ok my out of body experiences.And he sent me one of an angel.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Why not an in body experience?

Jumi

Why are you worrying about this? It's not like you're going to get an OBE just because you want it, much less meeting something you hope to meet.

Frank Goad

I have thought about that for awhile.If i meet a spirit that looks like an angel.I will test the angel by doing what it says in 1 John 4:1.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Because i prayed to Jesus to send me a vision to ok my out of body experiences.And he sent me one of an angel.
In Matthew 7:21-23....if these ones saying “Lord, Lord”, don’t have Jesus’ approval, but are doing “powerful works”, who is giving them the power?

Revelation 12:9, “....the entire inhabited earth.”

Frank Goad

What about 1 John 4:1-3?It says if the spirit can't say jesus has come in the flesh it is not from God.And if a spirit does admit it it is from God.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

The link didn't work, but the URL name does not fill me with confidence. Sounds like a genetic info site that any fool and their opinions can contribute to. To be fair, there really aren't many good sources of information about this out there that I'm aware of. You kinda have to study a range of academic and non-academic literature to get a feel for how these things are regarded. I never ran across a good synthesis when I was doing digging on this topic years back.

The major take home message that I arrived at during my research was this - nobody can agree on what the otherworlds (or spirit world) is, nor does anybody agree about the denizens of such realms (including but not limited to what are called "spirit guides"). Why? Because beliefs about the otherworlds vary tremendously from culture to culture. As such, any particular statement "this is good, that is bad" inevitably results from a particular cultural perspective that may or may not apply to you or your way of life.

It's worth bearing in mind the context of understanding the otherworlds in Western culture for a moment, though, because there are two prevailing influences that dominate the discussion:

On the one side, we have Biblical religions, in particular Christianity. These traditions generally describe anything which does not come from their god as bad or deficient in some way. This is applied both to the apparent world and the otherworlds. In the case of our current topic of conversations, this cultural mindset lends some to malign any denizen of the otherworlds that is not connected to Christian mythology in a positive way. For example, angels and saints are generally considered okay points of contact in the otherworlds, while more nebulous concepts like "spirit guide" (which can be Christian angels or saints in some circles, but let's forget I said that for the moment) are labeled as demonic or bad.

On the other side, we have the antithesis narrative to Biblical religions that originates from Enlightenment values and empirical naturalism. Where Christian narratives allow for acknowledgement of the otherworlds and its residents as a thing, this mindset rejects all of that as a load of patootey. While this narrative emerged in a Christian cultural context, it tends to be applied indiscriminately to any and all tales of such things. Stories about the otherworlds or their denizens are regarded as exactly that - mere stories - and their believers potentially suffering from unhealthy states of mind.

Neither of these narratives allow for a very positive context for exploring the otherworlds and their residents. We either have a wholesale rejection if its value and worth, or we have a narrow exploration of it based on what some particular religious mythos says is acceptable. Me? I'm in neither of those arenas. Instead I come from a cultural context where the otherworlds are just dimensions of reality like any other, and its denizens are people just like any other. Just like any place or person you run into in the apparent world, there are good folks and bad folks with the overwhelming majority being good folks (or not malevolent, to be more precise). As such, someone like me does not find it useful to demonize denizens of the otherworlds because they fail to conform to Christian mythology. Well, that and me not being Christian has a lot to do with that too, I guess.

On the whole, if you are going to foray into this stuff at all, you've got to be aware already that it's frowned upon by some traditions of Christianity... whether you think you're communicating with Christian figures like Jesus or not. But there are others that will accept you for it - I interacted with quite a few such folks a while back and while we didn't agree on theology, they were interesting peeps. From those peeps is where you see modern-day Christian prophets arising. Mystical religion is alive and well, even as mainstream Christianity generally discourages people from being their own priests and priestesses. Just know you're opening a can of worms by going down a path like this. Make sure it's something you want, yeah? :D

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
What about 1 John 4:1-3?It says if the spirit can't say jesus has come in the flesh it is not from God.And if a spirit does admit it it is from God.
Please, don’t think such gullible thoughts! Recognize the importance of what 2 Corinthians 11:13-15 says!

John didn’t say, “ask” (because anyone can lie); he said “test”!

The LNT renders 1 John 4:1, “Dear friends, do not believe everyone who claims to speak by the Spirit. You must test them to see if the spirit they have comes from God.“

It’s referring to people who mislead...just like those “false apostles” in 2 Corinthians 11. That’s why 1 John 4:1 continues, “For there are many false prophets in the world.”

It doesn’t say, “false spirits”, does it?

1 John 4 is really talking about love....that’s how you can test who is from God, and follows Jesus!

Jesus said the same, @ John 13:34-35.

InChrist

Free4ever
It didn't say anything.It just filled my mind and body with a feeling of warmth and happiness.:)
Well, I don't think warmth and happiness is what determines truth. God provided His word as a guideline for truth and to test all things. Have you done much research on pagan and/or false religions? Many false religions and pagan practices include some kind of feeling of warmth or feeling of elation and happiness or sense of being surrounded by light.