• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Really can you eat meat?

jewscout

Religious Zionist
maike said:
"Even in texts in which the pathos of shipwrecks is the subject, eating black people is acceptable"

quoted from 'Slavery, Insurance and the Black Atlantic'

thats only one but it didnt take long to find
Oh i'm sorry maike i thought you were talking about chattel slavery, not being shipwrecked, had i known that i would have agreed with you maike, in many cases canabalism was practiced in order to stay alive.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
maike said:
I dont ascribe evil to one group of people, eg Jew = good arab = bad, i believe all people are inheritantly evil, some individuals are able to lessen the extent of their evilness to a degree.
I'm sorry that you feel that way about people...allow me to apologize first, that final statement wasn't meant for any purpose other than my own personal flaw of being a smarta$$, sometimes people take offense to something i don't mean to be offensive i apologize.
I don't attribute good or evil to one group or another, however i don't find much good in Hitler or the Nazi regime, as a historian not as a jew.

RangerTwigz

I, like Druidus, do not eat meat as I believe that killing others to satisfy our wants is not acceptable. Many in the Bible did eat meat. In the Old Testament, God sent quails for his people to eat to prevent starvation so my religion definatly doesnt restrict my diet. The fact that God might have given us permission to eat animals, I still dont think that it is right which is why he gives us the choice.

huajiro

RangerTwigz said:
I, like Druidus, do not eat meat as I believe that killing others to satisfy our wants is not acceptable. Many in the Bible did eat meat. In the Old Testament, God sent quails for his people to eat to prevent starvation so my religion definatly doesnt restrict my diet. The fact that God might have given us permission to eat animals, I still dont think that it is right which is why he gives us the choice.
Mark one point up for the Christians....welcome Ranger Twigz

maike

i heard too that a mixture of flour and oil is often called meat in the old testement translations and a word for a type of edible seaweed was often translated as fish.????

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
i heard too that a mixture of flour and oil is often called meat in the old testement translations and a word for a type of edible seaweed was often translated as fish.????
I didn't hear of the flour and oil thing, but the seaweed you are referring to is called fishweed. It was one of the most common foods in biblical times; a staple in the diet of almost everyone.

Welcome! Thumbs up, as well. It's always nice to meet another who feels the way I do. :D

true blood

pensive said:
Having read those verses in context, I really don't see how they answer the question.
In a sense it does. We can eat whatever we want. The group that eats meat gains nothing over those that do and vice versa, in God's eyes. It's not like eating meat makes one holier than those who do not and vice versa. The true words of God is the real meat that everyone should gobble up. The subject of "eating meat" has nothing to do with beef and chicken or veggies and milk but rather a spiritual meaning that compares the words of truth like everlasting food for mankind. Give me the truth of God and I will eat it up and never hunger again.

anders

Bastet said:
I grew up on a farm, and for many years we were almost entirely self-sufficient. We grew our own fruit and veggies, and had various animals to provide meat, milk and eggs. From my experience, the meat from our own animals (and the entire family was involved in the slaughter and butchering), tasted much better than the stuff you buy from the supermarket on polystyrene trays wrapped in plastic. Given the opportunity, I would live this way again.
BTW, it is possible to have a 'cruelty free' diet, and still eat meat. It just takes a little extra looking. ;)
You need to brush up on your anatomy, luv. Fat, blood, gristle, and cholesterol, are all part of a normally functioning body. I'd love to see how you live without blood. :p Cancer, diabetes and heart disease are caused by inbalances and/or excesses...you can't seriously believe that everyone who eats meat will automatically suffer these diseases. It's all a matter of moderation.
You never disappoint me, Bastet. A big meeooow to you.
from
Anders