1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Really can you eat meat?

Discussion in 'Interfaith Discussion' started by jewscout, Dec 22, 2004.

1. jewscout

jewscout Religious Zionist

Ratings:
    +927
    since someone posted a similar question in an LDS-only thread i thought i'd open it up to everyone. Does your religion allow you to eat meat? Are there other dietary stipulations?

• Like Like x 1
  2. pensive

pensive Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Eating meat? No problem. The God of Wicca has been described as both the Hunter and the Hunted. That's not to say, however, that there aren't serious ethical issues where the meat industry is concerned these days, mind you.

The only dietary stipulations -- and these are not universal -- is that prior to certain rituals, certain observances might be called for. (These observances can range anywhere from a complete fast to eating light, low fat foods.) But when it comes to day-to-day dietary considerations, the sky is the limit. (Though healthy eating is always recommended.)

3. true blood

true blood Active Member

Ratings:
    +36
    John 4: 31-34: In the mean while his disciples prayed him, saying, Master, eat. But he said unto them, I have meat to eat that ye know not of...

4. pensive

pensive Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Having read those verses in context, I really don't see how they answer the question.

5. huajiro

huajiro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +115
    My diet doesnt revolve around my religion (or lack of), my religion revolves around my diet. I don't believe in eating meat, I don't believe in a "God" who allows this

6. Druidus

Druidus Keeper of the Grove

Ratings:
    +515
    I don't, not because of religion, but because I can't justify needless mass execution for purely selfish reasons (taste).

Here are religious quotes against it, should anyone care to read them:

7. Druidus

Ratings:
    +515
    <B>
    I have to put five characters, at least, so here it is.

8. Druidus

Ratings:
    +515
    <B>
    </B>

Again, my five characters...

9. No*s

No*s Captain Obvious

Ratings:
    +471
    Yes, though it may be restricted during a fast (which may vary if the priest decides so).

10. Linus

Linus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +132
    One Christian's answer:
    Yes. I believe that is one of the points of Acts 10: 9-15:

9The next day, as they went on their journey and drew near the city, Peter went up on the housetop to pray, about the sixth hour. 10Then he became very hungry and wanted to eat; but while they made ready, he fell into a trance 11and saw heaven opened and an object like a great sheet bound at the four corners, descending to him and let down to the earth. 12In it were all kinds of four-footed animals of the earth, wild beasts, creeping things, and birds of the air. 13And a voice came to him, "Rise, Peter; kill and eat." 14But Peter said, "Not so, Lord! For I have never eaten anything common or unclean." 15And a voice spoke to him again the second time, "What God has cleansed you must not call common."

God has allowed us to excersize our dominion over the animals in that we may eat them. I think it's clear.

11. Druidus

Ratings:
    +515
    Oh, Linus?

The gospel of the Holy Twelve is the earliest writings of the Christian Chruch, written during and just after Jesus' life. This was before it could be warped by men.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Linus

Linus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +132
    Druidus,

I appreciate your imput, but I am struggling to see your point. I agree that it is better to eat fruit and vegetables rather than meet. This is a scientific fact. But nowhere does the New Testament outright condemn the eating of meat. It does not command us to eat meat, but it does recognize the fact that we are allowed to do so.

This verse indeed does not outright condemn the eating of meat. It only says that one must not eat it if it causes another christian to stuble in his or her faith. At least that is the way I read it.

Again I think your interpretation is a bit off. Daniel is not condemning the eating of meat. As I said above, I agree that meat (and who knows what kind of meat was included in the "royal food" of a non-jewish king) is not as good for you as vegetables are, but this is not a condemnation of meat eating. This merely shows some of the the advantages of vegetarianism.

And as for this passage from the Gospel of the Holy Twelve, seeing as how I have never heard of it before, I will have to investigate it further. But even so, I find it hard to believe that God would condemn the eating of ALL meats just for the sake of avoiding harming the animal.

Jesus ate fish, the Israelites ate quale during the wandering s in the wilderness, and John the baptist ate locust. I think it's a little ridiculous to say that God condemned the eating of all meats. You have to cause harm to an animal in order to eat it. After all, Nimrod was a mighty hunter before the LORD.

Hope this helps clarify my position

13. fromthe heart

fromthe heart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +258
    Just frubaled you for this post...I resoponded to the first post and was told 'just for LDS' I apologized which was removed from the same post because I guess I wasn't LDS...just wanted to say thanks!:woohoo:

14. Druidus

Ratings:
    +515
    Here, Linus, is the text of the Gospel of the Holy Twelve. It contains mainly the life of Jesus, and not mainly his death, as in most of the bible.

http://www.thenazareneway.com/ght_table_of_contents.htm

Written in Aramaic, the text includes the complete life and teachings of Jesus. (Apparently)

"Fish" is another frequently mistranslated word in the Bible. Its reference is often not to the form of swimming life, but to the symbol by which early Christians could identify each other. It was a secret sign, needed in times of persecution, prior to official acceptance of Christianity as a state religion.

The sign of the fish was a mystical symbol and conversational password. Its name deriving from the Greek word for fish, "ichthus" Much later it was represented an acrostic, composed of leading letters of the Greek phrase, "Iesous Christos Theou Uios Soter"-"Jesus Christ, Son of God, Saviour."

Frequent references to fish are intended as symbolic of The Christ and have nothing to do with the act of eating a dead fish. But the symbol of the fish did not meet with Roman approval. They preferred the sign of the cross, choosing to concentrate more on the death of Christ than on His brilliant life. Perhaps this is one reason only ten percent of His life record appears in the canonical scriptures. Most of His first thirty years has been omitted.

15. Druidus

Ratings:
    +515

Five Characters.

16. fromthe heart

fromthe heart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +258
    I eat meat...not a lot of it but I really like a good steak on the grill...I don't see any harm in eating meat if one choses to do so...anything in excess can be a sin so I don't overeat anything.

hugs jewscout:)

17. pensive

pensive Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Can we try to keep these things in context? After all, I could go up towards the beginning of that chapter and quote another phrase:

In the end, to truly understand what is being said, you need to read the entire passage. According to most, to get the full context, you need to read Romans 14:1-21 as a single train of thought.

One of the unfortunate side effects of adding chapter and verse numbers to the Bible was that it began to encourage people to read things without regard for context.

18. jewscout

jewscout Religious Zionist

Ratings:
    +927
    Having eaten a non-kosher diet most of my life and now being kosher i think the two things i miss the most are pepperoni pizzas and southern BBQ **drools**

19. painted wolf

painted wolf Grey Muzzle

Ratings:
    +1,653
    yup, but the key is to respect the animals and plants that give you life. No respect and bad things happin. Disease for instance. Whole tribes life and culture revolved around the animals that they depended on for food, tools, cloths, shelter and other things. (too many to list here)

wa:do

20. Druidus

Ratings:
    +515
    They did respect life. They were thousands of times more respectful then what is normal today though.