• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Realization

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The Buddha taught about not attaching to illusions of the mind

John talks about not being attached to worldly things

The Bhagavadgita talks about not attachment to feelings and desires
and so on and so forth

Realization

I am the justness of plants
I am the courage of the wild boar
I am the salmon leaping
I am the stillness of the lake
I am the word of wise inquiry
I am the spear-point battle
I am the divinity who created the crown of fire
Who pours light on the meeting in the mountains?
Who tells the age of the moon?
Who teaches where sets the sun?
Who, if not I?

(Traditional Gaelic Song)

I figure those of us who are religious or have a practice would be attached to their practices, traditions, and ways of being; because, that is who we are. If we were perfect, though, our religious and practice would not half flaws and we would not see flaws in ourselves. Given we are who and what we practice, if you believe there are flaws in the world (thereby not being attached to the world, mind, and/or being), what flaws can you see in your faith that (because it is a part of you) that you say you obviously see in yourself?

On that note, flaws does not mean something that is wrong with your religion. My religion is cool that way. It can be annoying in some aspects but don't get hung up on the words. The intent is if you are practicing non-attachment regardless of how your practice and religion defines it, if your traditions and religion are perfect, does that mean you are perfect? If you find flaws (or imperfection) in yourself, what parts of your religion that you may have challenges with, maybe annoyed with, but always stick with because of your/those imperfections not because of perfections (if there is such a thing)?

If you came to a realization that nothing is perfect, why is your faith, practice, or religion an exclusion? If it is, how so....

:leafwind: Contemplation

The great realization is the realization of who you are.

All of us are someone at birth; only some of us fill into and expand upon our essential nature; very, very few of us realize who we are at heart and act from this inner self.

The story is told of a Zen Buddhist priest. A civil war was raging, and the conquering general, known for the terror he brought, was approaching the town. Everyone had fled; not a soul remained except the monk.

When the soldiers reported the monk's presence int he temple, the outraged general hastened there. He stormed into the sacred place, drew his sword, and stared at the solitary priest. "Don't you know who I am?" he bellowed. "I am the one who can slice you to pieces without blinking an eye!"

The master monk was calm and mater-of-factually responded, "and I, sir, am the one who can be sliced into pieces without blinking an eye."

The general realized he was faced with and withdrew his sword.

:leafwind:

Maybe saying that we have a perfect religion without flaws is like the general who is presents his sword to the monk saying I am powerful without faults because of the perfect shining sword I carry. Yet, realized people know they practice religions that have challenges in and of themselves because the people in those religions are just as the people who practice them today. Our minds haven't changed, our experiences, nor our perpective of the world. We are all human". So, I feel if we are to come to a realization, that would be it. Stand without ego and say matter-of-factly "and I, sir, am the one who can be sliced into pieces without blinking an eye." Doesn't mean you gave yourself up or doubted your existence. It just realize your place in things and because we are who and what we believe, our religions are no exclusion.

Just a thought, not a sermon. ;)

allfoak

Alchemist
That was an excellent post.
Thank you.

You changed your signature.
I hope i didn't do something to upset you.
I know i was kind of short with a conversation we were having a few days ago.
I get weary of doing this sometimes.
I apologize if i offended you.
I am sorry.

David T

Premium Member
The Buddha taught about not attaching to illusions of the mind

John talks about not being attached to worldly things

The Bhagavadgita talks about not attachment to feelings and desires
and so on and so forth

Realization

I am the justness of plants
I am the courage of the wild boar
I am the salmon leaping
I am the stillness of the lake
I am the word of wise inquiry
I am the spear-point battle
I am the divinity who created the crown of fire
Who pours light on the meeting in the mountains?
Who tells the age of the moon?
Who teaches where sets the sun?
Who, if not I?

(Traditional Gaelic Song)

I figure those of us who are religious or have a practice would be attached to their practices, traditions, and ways of being; because, that is who we are. If we were perfect, though, our religious and practice would not half flaws and we would not see flaws in ourselves. Given we are who and what we practice, if you believe there are flaws in the world (thereby not being attached to the world, mind, and/or being), what flaws can you see in your faith that (because it is a part of you) that you say you obviously see in yourself?

On that note, flaws does not mean something that is wrong with your religion. My religion is cool that way. It can be annoying in some aspects but don't get hung up on the words. The intent is if you are practicing non-attachment regardless of how your practice and religion defines it, if your traditions and religion are perfect, does that mean you are perfect? If you find flaws (or imperfection) in yourself, what parts of your religion that you may have challenges with, maybe annoyed with, but always stick with because of your/those imperfections not because of perfections (if there is such a thing)?

If you came to a realization that nothing is perfect, why is your faith, practice, or religion an exclusion? If it is, how so....

:leafwind: Contemplation

The great realization is the realization of who you are.

All of us are someone at birth; only some of us fill into and expand upon our essential nature; very, very few of us realize who we are at heart and act from this inner self.

The story is told of a Zen Buddhist priest. A civil war was raging, and the conquering general, known for the terror he brought, was approaching the town. Everyone had fled; not a soul remained except the monk.

When the soldiers reported the monk's presence int he temple, the outraged general hastened there. He stormed into the sacred place, drew his sword, and stared at the solitary priest. "Don't you know who I am?" he bellowed. "I am the one who can slice you to pieces without blinking an eye!"

The master monk was calm and mater-of-factually responded, "and I, sir, am the one who can be sliced into pieces without blinking an eye."

The general realized he was faced with and withdrew his sword.

:leafwind:

Maybe saying that we have a perfect religion without flaws is like the general who is presents his sword to the monk saying I am powerful without faults because of the perfect shining sword I carry. Yet, realized people know they practice religions that have challenges in and of themselves because the people in those religions are just as the people who practice them today. Our minds haven't changed, our experiences, nor our perpective of the world. We are all human". So, I feel if we are to come to a realization, that would be it. Stand without ego and say matter-of-factly "and I, sir, am the one who can be sliced into pieces without blinking an eye." Doesn't mean you gave yourself up or doubted your existence. It just realize your place in things and because we are who and what we believe, our religions are no exclusion.

Just a thought, not a sermon. ;)
Awesome stuff thank you for that poem I would love a link on it is it old?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
That was an excellent post.
Thank you.

You changed your signature.
I hope i didn't do something to upset you.
I know i was kind of short with a conversation we were having a few days ago.
I get weary of doing this sometimes.
I apologize if i offended you.
I am sorry.

Thank you.

You didn't offend me. I just have a huge internet ADD issues. :D Seriously.