• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reality vs Atheism?

David T

Premium Member
Science does not know all, but something. This something includes: lost of Reality:

That's on the table:
1) to lose trust in Reality,
2) to lose trust in Science,
3) to lose trust in Atheism,
4) to say "blah-blah":

LOL reality only exists if you are observing it. Too much time on your hands leads to all kinds of nutiness. My god what would we do without it!!!!

A Vestigial Mote

I see, so because David Berkowitz killed people that means that its not ok to disagree? That seems to be what you are saying. It can't be right for two people to believe different things?
You are suggesting that because someone made a mistake that its not OK to believe differently than you and further only one point of view can be correct. Is that not what you are implying?
Not at all what was being implied in either case. You simply wish it were, so that you could consider these replies "wrong" because they were quite problematic for you. But even that flies in the face of YOUR OWN ideas that these posters were replying to. Because these two posters hold these opinions THEY ARE "RIGHT"... ACCORDING TO YOUR OWN LOGIC!

Gotta be careful what you say and how you say it. Make too many overly general excuses (just face it for what it is) and ANYONE can use them... even against your own ideas posited with those same excuses. Exactly what just happened to you. You fell into a trap of your own crafting. Nice.

But the real gist of those replies (at least what I took from them) is that sometimes it is way WAY better/more-important to consult the facts, and use them to make sure "belief" isn't more harm than it is good. Because as soon as it is, the actual importance of faith itself allows it to simply be discarded without ANY real repercussions.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Not at all what was being implied in either case. You simply wish it were, so that you could consider these replies "wrong" because they were quite problematic for you. But even that flies in the face of YOUR OWN ideas that these posters were replying to. Because these two posters hold these opinions THEY ARE "RIGHT"... ACCORDING TO YOUR OWN LOGIC!
:eek: Oh noes! I hope I don't sound mean or some such. I try to hide any mean feelings.

Gotta be careful what you say and how you say it. Make too many overly general excuses (just face it for what it is) and ANYONE can use them... even against your own ideas posited with those same excuses. Exactly what just happened to you. You fell into a trap of your own crafting. Nice.
No spikes but only mirrors are in my trap; and I look good.

But the real gist of those replies (at least what I took from them) is that sometimes it is way WAY better/more-important to consult the facts, and use them to make sure "belief" isn't more harm than it is good. Because as soon as it is, the actual importance of faith itself allows it to simply be discarded without ANY real repercussions.
Here we come to the bottom, however. It is up to each individual to discover and to consult the facts. If David Berkowicz believes that his dog is speaking to him, then there is no way for him to question it. He's already in another sense realm from you and I. If we observe him harming himself then we try to stop him, but that is far different from observing someone who bows to the moon. There's no moral requirement to stop them; and so its apples and oranges.

A Vestigial Mote

:eek: Oh noes! I hope I don't sound mean or some such. I try to hide any mean feelings.
Not mean... something else not so great maybe, but not mean. Also can't tell if you're simply being facetious here. I'll just admit that I am mean. No sense for me in hiding.

No spikes but only mirrors are in my trap; and I look good.
Are you quite sure you even looked in the mirror?

Here we come to the bottom, however. It is up to each individual to discover and to consult the facts. If David Berkowicz believes that his dog is speaking to him, then there is no way for him to question it. He's already in another sense realm from you and I. If we observe him harming himself then we try to stop him, but that is far different from observing someone who bows to the moon. There's no moral requirement to stop them; and so its apples and oranges.
You said it all yourself just here... it's "apples and oranges"... until it ISN'T.

QuestioningMind

Nor do religions need to be proven right. They just are. The evidence that they are right is that there are people who think so. Similarly atheists are evidence that atheism is right.
If you found evidence of it that people believed then for them yes, but for others no. Abraham Lincoln's opinion would be unchanged however.

"Nor do religions need to be proven right. They just are. The evidence that they are right is that there are people who think so. Similarly atheists are evidence that atheism is right. "

Uh... no, that's not how it works. Simply thinking that something is true does not make it true. Some people say the Earth is flat. The evidence that they are right is that there are some people who say the Earth is flat. Does that honestly make sense to you?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Atheism : disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

Other than that all finger pointing is just that.

When someone can provide real, testable evidence of a gods existence then atheism can be pitched against reality.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The Michio Kaku vid is old hat, i first saw the matter/anti matter imbalance discussion about 5 or 6 years ago. It's talking about the first moments of the bb and is in all probability, despite the op statement,
the cause of our relative reality.

The second vid discusses the quantum realm whose rules, parameters and actions have little to with our reality, which is why QM is so difficult for even the best brains to understand.

So losing trust in reality is a strawman
It is science that provided these questions, the only reason to lose trust in science because of the questions is if they conflict with your belief
There is nothing to prove god magic so as far as the op content is concerned, atheism still holds.
Yup, its blah blah.