• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reality is the Set of All Things that Exist

Ostronomos

God is G and R is reality.

G = R due to the above statement (in the title).

G ϵ R and R ϵ G (this denotes the reflexivity between G and R).

If R ϵ G (If reality is an element of God)

then G ϵ R (then God is an element of reality.)

R ϵ R (reality is an element of reality since it is none other than itself)

Therefore G = R.

Ostronomos

Every set is a subset of the universal set:

A ⊆ U.

Reality is the subset as well as the powerset of itself:

R ⊆ R(S).

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Therefore G = R.

or R = G.

Sure if you want to worship reality as God , folks can define God however they want. Some religious folks may have different ideas about it though.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Every set is a subset of the universal set:

A ⊆ U.

Reality is the subset as well as the powerset of itself:

R ⊆ R(S).

Kind of lost me here.

If reality is the set of all things that exist, what is actually contained by this superset U that's different than what is contained by reality?

Also I don't understand the need to see reality as a subset of something else if they both contain exactly the same thing. Seems a little unnecessarily redundant.

Ostronomos

Kind of lost me here.

If reality is the set of all things that exist, what is actually contained by this superset U that's different than what is contained by reality?

There is no difference. However, I was using the powerset U as an abstract example.

Also I don't understand the need to see reality as a subset of something else if they both contain exactly the same thing. Seems a little unnecessarily redundant.

Reality topologically contains itself in the act of descriptively containing itself. This duality of self-inclusion relates to the familiar wave-particle duality of Quantum Mechanics.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I see reality as the set of all things detectable.
(It takes no set theory machinations or manipulations to get here.)

PureX

Veteran Member
I would assert that reality is the portion of existence that we comprehend. This is not the whole of that which exists, however. So reality does not equal or embody all that exists.

Skwim

Veteran Member

G = R due to the above statement (in the title: [Reality is the Set of All Things that Exist]).
It's been a long time since my college logic days, so maybe my puzzlement seems a bit naive, but how did you jump to the conclusion that god and reality are identical from your statement that "reality is the set of all things that exist' ?

Reality is the Set of All Things that Exist god ≡ reality.

Last edited:

Ostronomos

I would assert that reality is the portion of existence that we comprehend. This is not the whole of that which exists, however. So reality does not equal or embody all that exists.

This would assume reality is only a part of reality and does not include the whole. But I am saying that reality includes and is inclusive of all things along with itself.

Ostronomos

It's been a long time since my college logic days, so maybe my puzzlement seems a bit naive, but how did you jump to the conclusion that god and reality are identical from your statement that "reality is the set of all things that exist' ?

Reality is the Set of All Things that Exist god ≡ reality.

I stated that God is an element of reality because He or It is contained in it along with reality reflexively being of identical proposition in that it is contained by God. Then I declared that reality is an element of itself since it contains itself as well as being contained by itself. Hence God = Reality.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It also includes what is concealed behind that which is detectable.
If these concealed things have no effect whatsoever
on our existence, are they really in our reality?
Who is to say they even exist?

Note that I'm well aware that some things which were
once undetectable have become so since, & that other
such phenomena might await our detection.

Ostronomos

If these concealed things have no effect whatsoever
on our existence, are they really in our reality?
Who is to say they even exist?

Note that I'm well aware that some things which were
once undetectable have become so since, & that other
such phenomena might await our detection.

Physical existence conceals the processes which produced it. Think of the Big Bang arising from pure potential for instance. That point of potential in which space, time and matter were amalgamated is the birth of our present existence, which means it is a transformation in time towards current reality, which means that it follows that all things, including the undetectable, are included in reality. However, I am ignoring Quantum Mechanical phenomenon such as observer-participation in the creation of reality.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Physical existence conceals the processes which produced it. Think of the Big Bang arising from pure potential for instance. That point of potential in which space, time and matter were amalgamated is the birth of our present existence, which means it is a transformation in time towards current reality, which means that it follows that all things, including the undetectable, are included in reality. However, I am ignoring Quantum Mechanical phenomenon such as observer-participation in the creation of reality.
The Big Bang is a detectable aspect of reality.
The major shortcoming is that there's so much more to know about it.
Quantum mechanics is similar because we can detect it, & additionally
we can also use it.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Therefore G = R.

R = R and G = ?

Or by the definition of reality G != R until G is shown to exist

Ostronomos

R = R and G = ?

Or by the definition of reality G != R until G is shown to exist

The proposition demonstrates that if G exists it would be the same as reality. And the equation demonstrates in addition to that that G and R form a closed isomorphism. I.e. they are reflexive, one cannot exist without the other.