• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reality Check on the Justice System

SoliDeoGloria

Due to a recent conversation I had in another thread, I have felt the need to vent some things from the personal experience I had with the Justice System in the U.S. (Iowa).

For anyone who doesn't know, I committed a crime in Dec. of 99. I plead guilty to a charge and was sentenced to ten years in prison, of which I was incarcerated until Aug. 03, served a year on parole and discharged my sentence in Aug. of 04.

Before I get started, I would just like to clarify a couple of things. First off, I blame nobody but myself for what I did. I also have no problem with the fact that I was incarcerated being as how I definitely deserved it. Criticisms I will state are criticisms of the system itself, not of my being incarcerated. I realize that my experience is going to be the same as everybodies experience with the Justice System. Some people's experiences were worse and some were better. The reason I am doing this is to educate some people who may not truly know what happens within the Justice System. As much as I would like to think that things would change for the better, I highly doubt from what I have heard from those who have spent much more time with this subject than I have, that it will. Now to the "reality check".

The Court System:
Many felons refer to Public Defenders as "Public Pretenders". These are government payed employees that represent people who are charged with a crime. The Public Pretender I had, had just recently taught Spanish at the local high school. Despite the fact that I knew that I had been originally been charged with a crime that carried a 25 year sentence, the guy kept insisting that the charge I had only carried a 5 year sentence until the District Attorney offered a ten year plea agreement. My wife had given me my Bible while I was in the county jail and there was disagreement as to whether or not I could take it with me to prison, which I wanted to do. The jailers had said no while other inmates kept insisting that I could. I called up my Public Pretender and asked him to get to the bottom of it by calling the prison I was headed to and ask them. I called him back and he told me that I couldn't. When I ended up at the prison, one of the first things they told me that I could have on me was my Bible. I had already asked a friend of mine to pick it up for me before I went to the prison, so it was too late. It became abundantly clear to me at that moment, that Public Pretenders are truly government employees. I would've shook the District Attorney's hand before I shook the my Public Pretender's hand. At least I knew what his true intentions were and he did his job well in my case anyways. The funny thing is, When I got out of prison in 03, the District Attorney and the Sheriff of the county I was convicted in were on the news for extorting money out of people for lesser charges or acquittals. They were forced to resign with criminal charges pending. I never heard what happened with the pending criminal charges, but I couldn't help but chuckle to myself over it. They probably never asked me for money because they knew they had no chance of getting any from me since I had none.

Mandatory sentencing laws do more harm than good. The first thing they do is take away any power from the judiciary part of the government when it comes to sentencing and give it strictly to the legislative part. The only productive thing the Public Pretender I had did was state at my sentencing hearing that due to my lack of criminal history, my cooperation, and other things, I didn't belong in prison. The Judge stated that he agreed but had to sentence me to ten years because that is what I plead guilty to. Besides that, Mandatory Sentencing Laws depersonalize crimes by putting crimes into categories that don't take anything else into consideration except that a crime was committed. This does harm to the criminals and victims as well. I have seen people who definitely deserved harsher sentences due to the severity of their crime and people who deserved lighter sentences due to other factors surrounding their cases. Take for instance, Iowa has no self defense clause in their law. I knew a man who wanted to set "booby traps" in a house he owned because people kept breaking in a stealing things from it. He told the police about this and they warned him that if he did, they would arrest him. If somebody died because of these because of the traps, he would've been charged with some sort of manslaughter charge and probably ended up in prison. The only logical solution I can come up with is to do away with mandatory sentencing laws and give the discretion back to Judges. The problem I come up with this solution is that Judges can be just as corrupt as anybody else due to their being human.

The Prison System:

As much as people would like to think that the prison systems have more to do with justice and rehabilitation, the reality of it is, they have more to do with money and revenge. Three aspects make this abundantly clear.

Prisons are a huge political scapegoat for government spending. The vast amounts of money spent on the prison system has more to do with employee salaries than anything else. It also doesn't take much of a stretch of the imagination to realize that there is also a bit of "fudging" of paperwork when it comes to government spending also with the history that government has for this practice. One of the most blatant examples that I witnessed of this was the last governor elections in Iowa while I was incarcerated. One major subject that came up was a sudden major disappearance of millions of dollars allotted for state spending. All sorts of accusations were thrown around at the current governor and the current governer was making all sorts of excuses. The major downfall for this was that it was supposidly so bad that all kinds of government employees had to be layed off, including prison guards. On top of that, there was talk that the nine major prisons in Iowa would have to give so many guards furlows that there would have to be lockdowns about twice a month. The food, which has caused me to not eat certain foods any more to due bad experiences with it, also suffered because of this. When the governer was reelected, miraculously, these monatary problems disapeared. The lockdowns never occured, guards were being hired, but the food didn't recover at least while I was there. I had a conversation with a guard about this one day and we both got a chuckle out of it.

(continued in the next post)

SoliDeoGloria

Another little known subject is the healthcare in prisons. What most people know about this subject is what they hear in the media. I personally have little faith in the media for many reasons, this being one of them. I had heard about some person in California who supposidly got a sex change while incarcerated that the state supposidly paid for. I have no clue as to the actual truthfullness of this story but here is what I personally witnessed. Legally, while incarcerated, the state has an obligation to the person's health. I witnessed blatant abuses of this obligation that ranged from the silly to the extremely sad. While incarcerated, they will be more than happy to take all of you teeth out, which happens to a lot of "meth" users, but the supposid wait for false teeth is three years. The obvious reason for this is that the national average period of incarceration for most criminals is conveniently three years. So if you have bad teeth and are incarcerated, you may as well plan on "gumming it" during your stay. I knew of another person who had a lump in their foot. When they first arrived in prison, they tried to make it known to the "health services" people. They innitially told him that it was nothing to worry about. After a year, when they finally realized that it was indeed cancer, they scheduled him for an amputatuin of his leg to his knee. The amputation consisted of cutting his leg off, handing him a prosthetic leg that didn't fit right and sending him back to prison the next day and wishing him good luck. When it was soon discovered that they cancer had spread throughout the rest of his body, he was granted a parole to the strong reluctance of the parole board due to the fact that the state didn't want to pay for any more health expenses. Another person I knew had told the health services that he was sick. The response he got was going to be the typical "runaround" so he signed off on it. Very soon after this he started uncontrollably coughing up blood continuously. The health services innitial response was to put him in his own cell in the same cell house, unknown if it was tb or anything catchable. On a side note, disease travels very fast in these enclosed environments. After a couple of weeks and a loss of over fifty pounds, they finally decided to take him to a hospital where it was discovered that he had a cancerous cell on his lungs the size of a persons fist. He was told that he had a few weeks to live and was sent to the only prison in the state that had a hospice where he died. Last I heard, his family was trying to sue the state for blatant negligance. Believe it or not, the state gets sued by many criminals for similar things and yet we don't seem to hear about these things, but we get to hear about people getting sex changes. Both of the examples I gave we incarcerated for very typical drug charges.

As I have noted in other conversations, the treatment programs in prisons are a joke. They offer very little, if any practicle solutions to stop committing crime. One of my favorite examples of this was a class that I had to take. The teacher told us that he didn't want us to think in terms of right and wrong. I immediately raised my hand and asked if it seemed like that completely contradicted the whole idea behind the correctional system which was that if you do something that is deemed wrong by the law, you must be incarcerated. He admitted that it did and stated that that is just the way it is. The only treatment I was mandated to take was "anger management". I can't think of one thing from those classes that I have practically used in my life today, although, I can think of many things that I have used from personal Biblical studies that I did while incarcerated. I can tell many more things about prison, like guard abuses, multiple suicides, etc. but this is getting long enough and I hope that I have made my point so far.

The Parole System:
One time a "lifer" (one who is serving a life sentence) told me that f I wanted to know whether or not I was going to be released, I should watch the news. The reason for this is that, whatever crime is being concentrated on in the news will be the one that the parole board is going to be the most harsh on at the time. The parole board is directly or indirectly governer appointed, and ofcourse, being as how no politician wants to look "soft on crime", they will appoint people that are going to make him look good in the media. The only exception to this that I have heard from the parole board outside of the obvious is crimes related to domestic violence and vehicular homicide. If you are convicted of these crimes, you may as well plan on doing most of your time. Another irony I have witnessed is people with "habitual offender" sentences. They usually tend to get released pretty early due to the fact that they are "money in the bank".

Once released, extremely little is done to help an exfelon make it outside of prison. Most times they must settle for miminum wage jobs and face a society that still treats them like the scum of the earth despite the fact that they have already have served their time. This is probably the biggest cause of people becomming "institutionalized". They are very fearfull of being able to make it when they get out. By the grace of God, after working many months for minimum wage, I was able to land a job with a masonry company with a foreman I did time with. I moved very quickly through the ranks in the company, became a forman myself, eventually got a job near the house that I bought last year with a factory that I had applied at three times before I was arrested but couldn't get a job at. Many times I am taken back at how "lucky" I am due to the fact that I know of many who were not as lucky and have ended up back in prison due to the fact that they gave up on the idea of making it and resorted back to a life of crime. It is actually very sad.

The point I am trying to get at here, is that there is a reality to prison life that is not reported in the media at all. I am not hoping for sympathy, but rather a realization that unless drastic measures are taken to change the justice system, the only thing it will produce is more criminals. Criminals are people who have made some pretty bad choices in life, but they are still human beings and are not buyond help, despite how hopeless recitivism rates make it seem. A "Murphys Law" mentality helps nobody when it comes to the justice system.

Sincerely,
SoliDeoGloria