• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reality and Consciousness by Deepak Chopra

Ostronomos

Consciousness in the universe: A review of the ‘Orch OR’ theory - ScienceDirect

I was randomly searching articles about consciousness and came across this list.

I have been asked to comment from the viewpoint of Eastern philosophy, which at first glance will seem irrelevant to most physicists. The essence of Eastern philosophy is to approach reality through subjective experience. Science takes the objective world as a given and has excluded subjectivity. On the face of it, the two worldviews face in opposite directions, even though it cannot be denied that our only access to reality is through subjective experience. If there is a reality beyond human awareness, it will remain unknown to us.

The potential for reconciling science and consciousness was first glimpsed during the quantum revolution a century ago when several of the greatest physicists, including Schrödinger, Heisenberg, Planck, and Pauli, surmised that consciousness might be so fundamental that it can't be gotten around. This line of inquiry proved uncomfortable, however, and although the observer effect and the measurement problem brought consciousness to the fringes of experimentation, the Eastern view that reality is best explained through investigations into human awareness – our vehicle for knowing reality – was steadfastly ignored.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

I was randomly searching articles about consciousness and came across this list.

I have been asked to comment from the viewpoint of Eastern philosophy, which at first glance will seem irrelevant to most physicists. The essence of Eastern philosophy is to approach reality through subjective experience. Science takes the objective world as a given and has excluded subjectivity. On the face of it, the two worldviews face in opposite directions, even though it cannot be denied that our only access to reality is through subjective experience. If there is a reality beyond human awareness, it will remain unknown to us.

The potential for reconciling science and consciousness was first glimpsed during the quantum revolution a century ago when several of the greatest physicists, including Schrödinger, Heisenberg, Planck, and Pauli, surmised that consciousness might be so fundamental that it can't be gotten around. This line of inquiry proved uncomfortable, however, and although the observer effect and the measurement problem brought consciousness to the fringes of experimentation, the Eastern view that reality is best explained through investigations into human awareness – our vehicle for knowing reality – was steadfastly ignored.
What do you think concerning non-human animal consciousness and how this might relate to this?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
What do you think concerning non-human animal consciousness and how this might relate to this?
My two-cents is that all consciousness is of the One Source. The animal and human consciousness is the same thing running on different hardware platforms giving somewhat different experiences.

Another analogy is the one electrical current running into your house animates different types of devices.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

Sometimes Deepak Chopra can say things so well.

Altfish

Veteran Member

I cannot take Deepak Chopra seriously since he was debunked by a real scientist, Brian Cox

The diamond encrusted guru :rolleyes:

Ostronomos

My two-cents is that all consciousness is of the One Source.

Yes, and that One Source is eternal and everlasting. The widely held atheistic view is that consciousness is an illusion and dies along with the rest of the body but that is simply not true. The brain like you said is a hardware platform that "runs" the software of consciousness. It does not "cause" consciousness any more that a computer causes the internet.

The animal and human consciousness is the same thing running on different hardware platforms giving somewhat different experiences.

Another analogy is the one electrical current running into your house animates different types of devices.

That certainly makes sense. Your analogy on consciousness seems to align with the general view of a universal consciousness. Thank you for the analogy.