• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Real Man?

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
scitsofreaky said:
What is a "real man"? How has the idea of a "real man" changed, if it has? Why the change?

I believe that a real man is a man that takes care of his responsibilities, who is independent, brave and self-reliant. I think it's always been that way.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
More interesting, what is an unreal man? and why the distinction?

Terry
___________________________-
Amen! Truly I say to you: Gather in my name. I am with you.

Fire Empire

Darkdale said:
I believe that a real man is a man that takes care of his responsibilities, who is independent, brave and self-reliant. I think it's always been that way.
Yes, we agree with this. Also, a real man is confident, even when he doesn't know what might happen, he has faith in his own abilities. He doesn't worry so much about what might happen, only what needs to be done. Moreover, a real man is also honorable--he does the right things when he needs to, and leaves undone the wrong things at the tempting moments. He is able to protect his mate, or any he cares about, even at risk to himself.

There's a lot more to it than this, of course.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Terrywoodenpic said:
More interesting, what is an unreal man? and why the distinction?
Good question. Why is it a thing we must define? Who is to say what a "real man" is? That's like asking what a "real woman" is. Who makes up the requirements? Why are there any?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
A real man drinks a lot, keeps his woman pregnant, and speaks eloquently only of football. What's so hard about that?

robtex

Veteran Member
Sunstone said:
A real man drinks a lot, keeps his woman pregnant, and speaks eloquently only of football. What's so hard about that?
drinking alot and speaking eloquently at the same time might be tuff to do?

Can I ask what a real woman is? :flirt:

Also, why is it so important for men to be valid by the traditional societal definition of what a real man is supposed to be. I could just as easily say that a real man has to be strong and take care of himself.

Would I be a pansy, or a disgrace to my manhood, if I started crying and let out my feelings to a support group?

This is conjecture as I agree with most of this. I'm a realist, and I know that the social roles and functions of men and women differ (it's genetics, not sexism). I wouldn't want to be caught in a burning building and have a female firefighter sent in to carry me out. Just as I wouldn't want a a male giving me advice on how to deal with labor pains. I wouldn't be comfortable having a fat man telling me how to diet, or having a basketball player explain rocket science to me. Call me prejudiced, but we'll see who lives a more efficient life...

Anyway, men and women are not equal. At the same time, neither is more ultimately superior than the other. What makes a man real is whether or not he lives true to himself, and doesn't conform to what everyone around him thinks he should be. Same is true for a woman.

The second question, has the view changed.. of course it's changed. The roles of the sexes are meshing, now that strength and gentleness are no longer that important in advanced civilizations. We've grown away from the traditional hunter-gatherer world where we all started, but I don't see how this poses a problem to anyone's "pride".

Fire Empire

Draka said:
Good question. Why is it a thing we must define? Who is to say what a "real man" is? That's like asking what a "real woman" is. Who makes up the requirements? Why are there any?
Humans make up the requirements. Why? Because we are compelled to place each other (and ourselves) on a social/dominance hierarchy. This is natural. Real men are higher on this ladder, and thus more desirable than the males on the lower rungs. The same goes for women, although, we haven't personally heard the the term "real woman" in this context. We are social creatures--it seems necessary to define such terms so that people in general know where they stand, and act accordingly.

Bennettresearch

Politically Incorrect
scitsofreaky said:
What is a "real man"? How has the idea of a "real man" changed, if it has? Why the change?
I think the question arises because of the new social forces that attack their rendition of the stero-typical male. Invariably, when the chips are down, they rely upon a take charge attitude that does the tough dirty work and gets the job done. As much as we hear about the metrosexual male, the sensitive male, and on and on, our society would fall apart if it weren't for the guys who do the dirty work.

Draka

Wonder Woman
apostle_ndr said:
The second question, has the view changed.. of course it's changed. The roles of the sexes are meshing, now that strength and gentleness are no longer that important in advanced civilizations. We've grown away from the traditional hunter-gatherer world where we all started, but I don't see how this poses a problem to anyone's "pride".
The roles are meshing. Which is why I question the whole "real" this and that question. A man can be the child caretaker in the home and do the cooking and cleaning while his wife goes to work all day as a construction worker. Does it make him any less of a man or her a woman? No. As long as a person steps up to what they need to accomplish and do the best for themselves and their loved ones that is all that matters.

Fire Empire said:
The same goes for women, although, we haven't personally heard the the term "real woman" in this context.
Real Women have curves! :biglaugh: That's all I ever hear:p .

Bennettresearch said:
I think the question arises because of the new social forces that attack their rendition of the stero-typical male. Invariably, when the chips are down, they rely upon a take charge attitude that does the tough dirty work and gets the job done. As much as we hear about the metrosexual male, the sensitive male, and on and on, our society would fall apart if it weren't for the guys who do the dirty work.
Women are doing more and more of this so called dirty work. This coming from a woman who is ex-military electrician and construction worker.

Fire Empire

Bennettresearch said:
Are you also implying that metrosexuals are not real men, or that real men aren't sensitive? If so, you are probably mistaken. Also, when you say "tough dirty work", are you refering to strictly physical labor, and is that kind of job a prerequisite for a 'real man'? We would disagree with this too.

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
Fire Empire said:
Are you also implying that metrosexuals are not real men, or that real men aren't sensitive? If so, you are probably mistaken. Also, when you say "tough dirty work", are you refering to strictly physical labor, and is that kind of job a prerequisite for a 'real man'? We would disagree with this too.

Sensitivity isn't necessarly a trait of a real man or not. It's something some have and others don't.

Flappycat

Darkdale said:
You mean, then, that these sorts of things should not be expected of women?

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
Flappycat said:
You mean, then, that these sorts of things should not be expected of women?

Nope. Didn't think I said that. Did I say that?

However, those things aren't the things that make a woman a real woman either. :) I think Michael was on to something when he said that a real man is a man that makes a woman feel like a real woman. :) I think the opposite is true as well. And men and women ARE different.

Flappycat

robtex said:
drinking alot and speaking eloquently at the same time might be tuff to do?
Umm...I know a guy who can give you a detailed explanation as to how one would go about disappearing from off the face of the Earth while nursing at the second half of his second fifth of rye whiskey...the thing is, this was after he was asked a much simpler question that could have been answered in a couple of words. From henceforth, in the area, he was known as The Drunken Math Guy.