• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Real Bacon Bits" - Expires in 2023...

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Opened it up and it was a cake of green mold. I stored it in a cupboard and I thought it was tightly sealed (although I have no idea because I didn't realize this until after I opened it, but I usually am on top of that kind of stop)

Can we trust expiration dates on our foods?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Opened it up and it was a cake of green mold. I stored it in a cupboard and I thought it was tightly sealed (although I have no idea because I didn't realize this until after I opened it, but I usually am on top of that kind of stop)

Generally, I trust the expiration dates. But I use the senses to tell for sure... sometimes things spoil before the date indicates. Other times they're good for some time after.

The Sum of Awe

Generally, I trust the expiration dates. But I use the senses to tell for sure... sometimes things spoil before the date indicates. Other times they're good for some time after.
That's usually how I go about things that expire fairly quickly (bread, mayo, meats, veggies, dairy) but it was just odd to me that this had another 4+ months left and it was a block of mold. Very odd. Only thing I can guess is that I didn't have it properly sealed like I thought I did.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
That's usually how I go about things that expire fairly quickly (bread, mayo, meats, veggies, dairy) but it was just odd to me that this had another 4+ months left and it was a block of mold. Very odd. Only thing I can guess is that I didn't have it properly sealed like I thought I did.

Being improperly sealed would have been my first guess as to why it happened...

My second would be another particle of food fell into the package and started the molding process before it was realized.

The Sum of Awe

Being improperly sealed would have been my first guess as to why it happened...

My second would be another particle of food fell into the package and started the molding process before it was realized.
That could be it as well! Thank you for the help :)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Real bacon should always be refrigerated.
And some foods occasionally turn bad
before the "best used by" date

The Sum of Awe

Real bacon should always be refrigerated.
And some foods occasionally turn bad
before the "best used by" date
Haha, I thought the exact thing when I bought the bag. but it was sitting out on the counter in the store so I assumed I didn't have to :S

Ah well it's more for the flies :)

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
It does seem very likely there was contamination in the manufacturing process. It happens.

If you are sure it was sealed, call the company and report it.

Did the label indicate it should be refrigerated? Was the cupboard unusually warm or damp?

What we usually call "expiration dates" are often just "best before dates". At lot of food is safe to eat even after that. But always trust your eyes and nose, and it it doesn't taste right, don't eat it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Haha, I thought the exact thing when I bought the bag. but it was sitting out on the counter in the store so I assumed I didn't have to :S

Ah well it's more for the flies :)
Packaged cooked bacon can have a goodly
shelf life, but I'd refrigerate it anyway, &
always immediately after opening.

The Sum of Awe

??

Really? My mayo is well past it's "exp" date, and it's perfectly fine. :p
I don't know why but mine gets gel-like and smells stingy even before the expiration date, but I'm sure it's not my fridge because my milk and lettuce last just fine.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Mindlessly? No.
But they're a big improvement on having to only rely on our senses. Think of them as added information.

I have a rotten sense of smell, thanks to sports injuries (broke my nose a couple of times). It has to be pretty off before I can tell. So I rely on expiration dates much more than my wife, who can probably smell a gnat farting on the other side of the planet.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

Best-before dates, and every other piece of advice on food storage, depend utterly on ensuring that packaging is not compromised. When you say you don't know about how tightly sealed it was, that's the moment you throw it out without ever bothering to open it up and smell it.

If the seal on purchased foods is not compromised, expiration dates are really very safe. In fact, they err on the side of caution, so if you are responsible and sensible, you can use them even after (not too much after).

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Are you sure it wasn't Soylent Green?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
That has got to be unpleasant for her. There are a lot of gnats.

Think about the poor gnats!
Here they are, sneaking off behind a shed in outback Swahili, to politely break wind, and some woman in Australia is yelling out that they stink.

It's beyond the pale.

Last edited: