• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reagan Republican = Death Squad Advocate.

c0da

In the Che Guevara thread, the idea that a Reagan Republican should be able to stomach South American death squads was put forward.

So! to save that thread going off topic, debate the above suggestion!

In my opinion, supporting death squads is more personal than ideological, so let's go!

debate, debate, debate! :)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
How does agreeing with some of the things a politician says and does necessitate agreeing with everything a politician says and does?

I've seen this technique used by conservative talk show hosts to discredit liberal callers. e.g. "Well, if you think Bill Clinton was a good president, then you must think lying under oath was good."

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
First of all, just because your political phylosophy is one thing, does not mean that you all your beliefs are consistent with every person of that same philosophy that has ever lived. If someone on this site is a communist, I would not therefore argue that they are of the same mind set that sent millions to their death in the gulag under Stalin. To do so is absolutely intellectually bankrupt and, well, stupid. I really can't say it any clearer than that.

Secondly, to equate a Reagan Republican, to someone who is in favor of death squads, is even stupider. You would have to be able to prove that Reagan advocated such actions or supported them either publicly or privately, and that cannot be done...because it never happened!!

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
Sunstone said:
How does agreeing with some of the things a politician says and does necessitate agreeing with everything a politician says and does?

I've seen this technique used by conservative talk show hosts to discredit liberal callers. e.g. "Well, if you think Bill Clinton was a good president, then you must think lying under oath was good."
THANK YOU!!! Frubals!!

c0da

Good posts guys and I agree. Was hoping we'd get a good proper debate out of this 'un.

Ardent Listener

Sunstone said:

I heard the same from liberal talk show hosts too. But you made an excellent point Sunstone.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Ardent Listener said:
I heard the same from liberal talk show hosts too. But you made an excellent point Sunstone.

No radio stations in my town carry liberal talk show hosts, so I'm limited in what I know. But I reckon from your post that I'm not missing much. I figure talk show hosts will be the death of reasoned debate in this country.

standing_alone

Sunstone said:
I figure talk show hosts will be the death of reasoned debate in this country.

That's considering that reasoned debate is still alive in this country. Well, I guess it is, just none too common.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Sunstone said:
No radio stations in my town carry liberal talk show hosts, so I'm limited in what I know. But I reckon from your post that I'm not missing much. I figure talk show hosts will be the death of reasoned debate in this country.

Get with the millenium, will ya? Who has to actually tune in a broadcast to hear a radio show?

If you want to hear what the liberal talk show hosts are saying, you can get it on Air America's website over Mr. Computer.

As for the death of reasoned debate in this country, that's so dead already I can smell it over my DSL connection.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
BUDDY said:
Secondly, to equate a Reagan Republican, to someone who is in favor of death squads, is even stupider. You would have to be able to prove that Reagan advocated such actions or supported them either publicly or privately, and that cannot be done...because it never happened!!

But it did happen. The question is only what Reagan knew and when did he know it.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
standing_alone said:
That's considering that reasoned debate is still alive in this country. Well, I guess it is, just none too common.

Sez who? You're just acting like a ninny, you are. How dare you insult the reasoned debates between me and my mother! What have you got against motherhood? What nationality are you really? French?

kevmicsmi

Sunstone said:
you must be out of the Denver area then.

Yerda

Veteran Member
BUDDY said:
If someone on this site is a communist, I would not therefore argue that they are of the same mind set that sent millions to their death in the gulag under Stalin.
If my title was Stalinist Totalitarian you wouldn't assume I accepted the philosophy and actions of Joseph Stalin?

BUDDY said:
You would have to be able to prove that Reagan advocated such actions or supported them either publicly or privately, and that cannot be done...because it never happened!!
To see the link between the highest forces in American politics during his term of presidency and the political, social, and religious oppression (including murder, rape, kidnap, vote rigging, electoral intimidation) in countries like Guatemala and El Salvador by right-wing paramilitaries which were extensions of the controlling elite you would first have to remove your head from the sand.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Jaiket said:
To see the link between the highest forces in American politics during his term of presidency and the political, social, and religious oppression (including murder, rape, kidnap, vote rigging, electoral intimidation) in countries like Guatemala and El Salvador by right-wing paramilitaries which were extensions of the controlling elite you would first have to remove your head from the sand.

It would make it easier to do so if we actually had journalists in this country, but despite our larger population, there are more journalists per capita where you are then there are here. And that has only worsened in the last couple of decades.

Here, we got communications majors. And talk show bimbos.

woo hoo :(

Thank God for the Internet so I can read some actual news that actually happens outside the U.S. At least when I lived up North I could catch the CBC news and find out nifty keeno things like how phosphorus bombs from our military stocks were being used on civilians in Beirut.

And if I hadn't personally met a Time photographer who was in Beirut around that time, I would've had no idea that those "Druse positions" we were supposedly firing on were no more than vacant lots where we knew darn well there was nothing and no one. They make it sound so glorious in the news, you know?

etc.

There's a very good reason why our gov't resists signing up with the ICC. They know full well our politicians and military risk standing in the dock.

But if you think many people in this country even know what the ICC is, much less that we're not willing to be a part of it, uh...maybe you have your head in the sand? Nah...more likely you just don't live here. <shrug>

Well, that's enough ranting for one evening...keep up the good questions.

c0da

From my limited readings on Reagan Republicanism, I think it is more an economic plan than a pro-Death squad political system.

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
Jaiket said:
If my title was Stalinist Totalitarian you wouldn't assume I accepted the philosophy and actions of Joseph Stalin?
I would think that you agree with him in philosophy, but I would not think you were a psychotic, intellectually impotent, or untrusting of anyone who challenges your ideas.

Jaiket said:
On second thought, maybe you are.

Faminedynasty

Goodness gracious, I didn't know that my comment would cause such an uproar.

Now of course, my assertion was NOT that anyone who idolizes Reagan is a death squad enthusiast. People look up to Reagan for many reasons--BUT-- the same is true of Che. So let's be fair, let's be coherent and let's be consistent. If we are going to condemn Che Guevarra entirely for his role in death squads and assert that the use of death squads undeniably condemns the legacy of a given figure, then it is ideologically inconsistent to treat Reagan any differently, as it is well documented that he was responsible for the use of death squads throughout Latin America. It therefore seems a bit hypocritical to condemn those who admire Che (allegedly becasue they glorify a man who utilized death squads) while idolizing Reagan.